Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm a prepper... not a conspiracy theorist or a doomsday fanatic. but i stay ready so i don't have to get ready. growing up in the Army has conditioned me on various levels. maybe even borderline brainwashing haha!
anyway, i'm updating my preps and my boy has his own Bug Out Bag. (the Approach Pack by Ruffwear). it includes 4 days of food. collapsible bowl. antler chew. collar and harness. regular and flex leash. cloth muzzle. short tie out. carabiner. a couple glowsticks.
i carry the first aid in my pack which includes his meds and copies of immunizations.
i'm always trying to improve my preps... any suggestions? especially for socal bug repellent. i definitely need something there.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Wow thats great! I am so unprepared for a disaster, good for you! lol How about Apple Cider Vinegar? It keeps for a LONG time and if you put some on a cloth and rub your boy down it will help keep bugs away. As well as a bunch of other reasons too: Apple Cider Vinegar for Dogs

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have added a copy of all the animals prescriptions to my emergency kit. I have one on daiily meds that need to be refrigerated. If evacuated, I'm not certain I would remember to grab them, so being able to get it filled anywhere makes life easier.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ACV... single item with multiple applications... love it. Thanks Ames.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You should probably have a breakstick. Just incase.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how could i forget a breakstick!? thanks APASA. there would definitely be alot of strays running around after a natural disaster.
see this is why i like this site. dog-minded people. i asked the same question on a survival forum and people suggested having my dog carry extra ammo. extra batteries. extra cordage. canteens. even a radiation meter! wowzers.
that made me think of a cartoon. do you guys remember the St. Bernard that carries a barrel of whiskey? LOL. how unnecessary would THAT be? i'm more of a minimalist.
i know there's something else i'm missing. something obvious like a breakstick.
let me know if you guys think of anything.
thanks.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
super glue and ducttape.....

lots of superglue, it could do anything from fixing your breakstick to acting as a temporary suture (which it was designed for by the Military)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
those are great suggestions. i carry gorilla glue and gorilla tape in my pack. i also carry liquid bandage.
my BOB is fairly extensive. i'm actually looking to complete my dog's pack. i want him to carry his own crap! lol

·
Registered
901 Posts
Karo syrup or honey. They have natural healing properties and pain relief. My dog had a deep open wound and the vet had me pour either one of these into the wound to help heal it faster then sutures. (he kept ripping them out)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Wow I just opened my mail and received my newsletter from Nylabone. Hope it helps.
Disaster Preparedness
As we’ve seen in the news media, disaster preparedness doesn’t always take pets into consideration. Many evacuation shelters do not allow animals, posing a problem for families with pets. It goes without saying that a pet should never be left behind to fend for himself in the event of an evacuation. Before disaster strikes, have a plan in place that provides a safe haven for your dog. This includes a disaster kit that contains:

four days’ worth of easily stored dog food that doesn’t need refrigeration
four days’ worth of water from your home or commercially bottled water
copies of all your dog’s documentation: vaccination certificates, licenses, registrations, prescriptions, etc.
any medications your dog may require
extra collar and leash, with identification
first-aid kit that includes self-adhesive bandage webbing, tweezers, hydrogen peroxide, cotton balls, aspirin, antibacterial ointment, anti-diarrhea medicine, towel, scissors, gauze pads, latex gloves
blanket or bedding
waste clean-up supplies
small toy or chew bone, like a Nylabone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts