Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl constantly digs in her blankets and sometimes will make noises while she is doing it like she is getting frustrated. I was going to ask about it but decided to research on my own and found this info just in case others wonder why they do it. This little freak I have literally makes a nest and has the blankets all built up around her LOL! I knew it was an instinctual behavior but I never had a dog that did it.

Dog Denning

Dogs digging in bed is actually called denning. In the wild, dogs have the instinct to hide in comfortable, protected areas when they sleep. Outdoors, they may dig a hole in soft ground (such as a garden) in order to create a recessed space in which they can hide from the sight of predators and keep warmer and drier during inclement weather. A den can even keep them cooler in the summer, as it protects them from the harsh sun. In the wild, dogs dig in the ground or into piles of leaves and brush if they can't find a natural place in which to hide.

Indoors, you may find dogs digging into things like blankets and bedspreads without actually creating any holes. If they can't hide under a table, under a couch or in another small alcove of the home, they may try to dig into their owner's bed. If they're invited to sleep with the owner, they may try to burrow underneath blankets and sheets in order to recreate that small, enclosed space they would naturally create in the wild.

Read more: Dogs Digging in Bed - VetInfo

·
Registered
14 Posts
It makes me laugh when my dapple weenie dog gets WAYY too into the whole denning thing... He gets going, diggin and gruntin and snortin, then I'll call his name all loud and stuff, man... his look his priceless! Like "WHAT?!!? CANT YOU SEE IM FREAKIN BUSY??! Sheesh..."

Lol hes a brat

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Haha yeah we have a lil bichon Frise named Kernel that does this all the time. that or he hangs out under the bar stools lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Rosey does the same thing and makes the strangest sounds. She always jumps up on the bed and tries to dig at it until she can get herself under the covers. It's good to see that me weirdo dog isn't the only one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts