Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my beautiful little girl got her ears cropped yesterday:(

they look awsomeeee, from what i can tell. they look exactly how i wanted em.

but now that her ears are gone and i have never done this before(vet didnt give me any advice but some ointment and pain relievers...

how long do i have to wait till (IF) i have to tape them up? when they heal? as the scab comes off? cause from what ive been reading (alot actually) on this topic and i see yall usually wait 10 to 17 days... by then what should they look like? the cut part anyway? i know it depends on the cut and ear shape but im talking just in general...

thanx in advance!!:)

·
Registered
780 Posts
ok so my beautiful little girl got her ears cropped yesterday:(

they look awsomeeee, from what i can tell. they look exactly how i wanted em.

but now that her ears are gone and i have never done this before(vet didnt give me any advice but some ointment and pain relievers...

how long do i have to wait till (IF) i have to tape them up? when they heal? as the scab comes off? cause from what ive been reading (alot actually) on this topic and i see yall usually wait 10 to 17 days... by then what should they look like? the cut part anyway? i know it depends on the cut and ear shape but im talking just in general...

thanx in advance!!:)
Stitches usually come out in 10 days.We have 4 dogs with crops 3 medium 1 short.At least with ours we never needed to tape.You can massage the ears to help strengthen the cartilage.Im not sure what crop you got or if you may need to tape them.If you do id suggest using the search feature on here and look up taping ears.performance kennels has a great thread on how to tape properly.Hope they turn out how you would like.Post some pics!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for replying, but yeah i know i need to message them once they arent "so fresh" like when they scab correct? And take the easily taken scabs off... and its like a medium bell short crop. i will as soon as she gets cleaned up shes white so she gots alot of Pinkish color from the blood still on her

i hope so too, lol they show expression! i hope to keep them doing that!!!:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
my dogs ears were cropped 3 weeks ago. they were tape up on a monday and the tape was taken off friday of the same week. when the tape comes off (if they were taped) you will known if they gonna stand or not. the ears are gonna be sore for a couple weeks at least and swollen. if you have to tape them you need to wait for the stitches to come out anyways. also i suggest getting a inflatable e collar its much less stressfull on the dog if your worried about it scratching stitches out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well they didnt tape em up or put her in a cone, because he said they should stand by their self, and they are... but i see that as they heal im sure they will flap,because she has a little ear left just long enough to flap if not properly cared for and i know im going to have to train em sooner or later so when do you normally tape them up or "POST" them? when they seem not so scabby or should i wait till they start flapping?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeahh i have seen that, but id prefer the mole skin, or if anything just using tampons instead of making those sticks...

·
Registered
151 Posts
yeahh i have seen that, but id prefer the mole skin, or if anything just using tampons instead of making those sticks...
poor dog lol...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
short crop may not need to be taped usually they stand ok , do you have some pictures? if the tips are curling in a bit a couple massages during the day can help that { just when you are having cuddle time or watching tv ect doesnt have to be a big ta do lol.} but pictures would deff help to see where you are at and if tape would help.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i will post some pics as soon as i can, but the vet i took her to didnt put stitches on her!>:| i didnt know they where suppose to so i didnt question it. all he said was they will stand and just to put the cream on them 2x a day... but i started massaging them.. so hopefully they will stand and i wont have to tape them up, i will post up pics by tomorrow!! i just got a new phone so i can take better pictures!!:)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
are you sure there are no stitches? You might not be able to see the stitches they are put in and spiral down the the base with a knot at the base. If he did not stitch them the ends would curl out he had to have put stitches in them. NO cream let the heal on their own and do not massage them till they are about 10 days out or you are going to keep breaking the scab open. Not only is it painful and not necessary it can cause infection by opening them up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so i SHOULD leave the scabs on, and let them dry?? and after they have dried up THEN massage them...?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah i was gonna call but i realized what time it is and its closed so first thing in the morning, but ill inspect tonight... and tell yall..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, so yes to the stiches but no to the photos LOL sorry about that i havent had time to post one up, but i will soon! so they im guessing came out already cause i havent seen no more on her ears... but now just as i suspected they are starting to curl up a bit, and thankfully shes been letting me touch em ALOOTTt more, so i have been massaging them and rubbing them every chance i get.

if the massaging doesnt work, then should i tape them up or would it just be ok to just tape them up for a couple of days because it actually isnt that bad?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its been 11days and she still has a couple in but they Should fall out soon the vet said, for some reason the tip is curling and how do you post a picture?!).

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I use photobucket , download pictures to a site like that and then resize to the 600x or smaller and copy and paste the 'IMG" link to here

1 - 20 of 26 Posts