Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog recently started scratching at his ear. Noticed he had some wax in it so I cleaned it out a few weeks ago. Now I noticed him scratching at it again and the inside of the one is a little bloody from his nails I'm guessing. Cleaned it up a little with paper towel but I can tell its bothering him as he won't really let me check it out real good. Anything I can give him to ease the itching or something to clean it up good so it will heal up without him scratching at it?

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Zymox makes and ear med that you can get over the counter or online. Give that a shot.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Clean the ear with ear cleaner, if you have it or can take time to go get it. You can find it in the pet care aisle of any store (grocery, Family Dollar, Walmart, etc.). If not, use a cap full of rubbing alcohol, pour it into the ear, rub the ear really well, and allow it settle in there for a minute. The dog will shake his head, but hopefully you'll have gotten at least half of it down in there really good. Wipe clean with a cotton ball, dry washrag, baby wipe, whatever you have on hand. With the blood, I would suspect he may possibly have ear mites, so I'd look for some drops for ear mites, but I'd wait until the alcohol has had time to dry and the ear to heal up a bit, as the drops may irritate the dog's ear. If the problem persists, I would seek out an E-Collar until you can get him in to the vet to have him checked. Please keep us posted on his progress.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zymox makes and ear med that you can get over the counter or online. Give that a shot.
Just found something online that may be the issue. Granted hes always scratched at his ears a bit, its been bad today and I think I know why. Yesterday afternoon my dad plugged in one of those scented oil things that go in the electrical socket and its strong as hell. I can smell it all the way upstairs. Just today he started scratching aggressively and tilting his head to the side of his problem ear. Looked at something saying due to their high sensitivity to smell things like this can cause ear issues along with asthma and other lung and respiratory issues and its nasty for humans also.

I unplugged it and got the downstairs airing out and gave my boy a benadryl for the time being. I think I will give him one every 4 or so hours the rest of the night and see how it works. He's already stopped scratching for the most part and just shaking his head back and forth now.

Definitely not something I would have thought of but makes perfect sense being it didn't start until a few hours ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean the ear with ear cleaner, if you have it or can take time to go get it. You can find it in the pet care aisle of any store (grocery, Family Dollar, Walmart, etc.). If not, use a cap full of rubbing alcohol, pour it into the ear, rub the ear really well, and allow it settle in there for a minute. The dog will shake his head, but hopefully you'll have gotten at least half of it down in there really good. Wipe clean with a cotton ball, dry washrag, baby wipe, whatever you have on hand. With the blood, I would suspect he may possibly have ear mites, so I'd look for some drops for ear mites, but I'd wait until the alcohol has had time to dry and the ear to heal up a bit, as the drops may irritate the dog's ear. If the problem persists, I would seek out an E-Collar until you can get him in to the vet to have him checked. Please keep us posted on his progress.
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to hold off on the alcohol for now due to the fact he does have blood in his ear from scratching. I'm not sure whether its ear mites or just irritated from a home fragrance thing which I just read about online. I'm going to try to fid something less abrasive for him to clean it up being I know how alcohol feels in a open wound.

BTW is there any particular ear medicine you recommend? I see Zymox was recommended which I am going to try to find now but I live in a really small city so stuff like that probably isn't around for about 45 miles or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts