Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay first of all, I have an issue. A lady at my work has called the police and animal control several times for her neighbors fighting pits and nobody will come out or do anything about the situation. The dogs have open wounds and are bloody everywhere. She thinks maybe they won't listen because she barely speaks spanish, but she's had other people call and they still won't do anything. We think maybe its because the govenor had a relative who was attacked by a pitbull. What else is there to do to handle the situation? She says she hears them fighting dogs every night.

Also, atleast 2 different people at my work have had their pits stolen. This is very common around where I live, not sure if it is common anywhere else. What can I do to prevent my dogs being stolen? =/ I'm really paranoid about this and I'm afraid having them microchipped wouldn't be enough.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Okay first of all, I have an issue. A lady at my work has called the police and animal control several times for her neighbors fighting pits and nobody will come out or do anything about the situation. The dogs have open wounds and are bloody everywhere. She thinks maybe they won't listen because she barely speaks spanish, but she's had other people call and they still won't do anything. We think maybe its because the govenor had a relative who was attacked by a pitbull. What else is there to do to handle the situation? She says she hears them fighting dogs every night.

Also, atleast 2 different people at my work have had their pits stolen. This is very common around where I live, not sure if it is common anywhere else. What can I do to prevent my dogs being stolen? =/ I'm really paranoid about this and I'm afraid having them microchipped wouldn't be enough.
Keep them inside unless supervised or you can get a guard dog ( I have a gsd that does the trick )

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only take them outside for walks or yard playtime, but even in the yard they're on their leashes. I just worry about somebody breaking into my house @[email protected] we have barred windows but I still feel like its not enough...my hubby won't let me get an in home security system...

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Is she sure they aren't just pit bull owners whose dog's have gotten into yard fights?
I'd stay out of it and tell her to do the same unless she has solid evidence of this as dog fighting accusations are very serious and often very wrong. As for your dogs don't leave them outside unsupervised if you think someone will take them. Micro-chipping is only good if your dog is found and turned into a vet or shelter who will check for one. It isn't a GPS; although, that would be such a great invention.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
I agree.. i would make sure that they were fighting them because how would you feel if for some reason your dogs got into it with each other and someone reported you for dog fighting.... :/

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Is she sure they aren't just pit bull owners whose dog's have gotten into yard fights?
I'd stay out of it and tell her to do the same unless she has solid evidence of this as dog fighting accusations are very serious and often very wrong. As for your dogs don't leave them outside unsupervised if you think someone will take them. Micro-chipping is only good if your dog is found and turned into a vet or shelter who will check for one. It isn't a GPS; although, that would be such a great invention.
:goodpost: Yard fights can sound a lot worse than they are. The neighbour might not be keeping the animals in a safe manner (ie away from each other) and leaving to roam around together during the day. While this is by no means an ideal situation and should still be addressed, it's very different to someone operating some kind of dog fighting ring out of their house.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Her english is very broken so its difficult for me to understand how she describes the situation. But it seems like the people don't hide the fact that they purposely fight their dogs and even asked her ( before her 5 year old pit was stolen) if she was interested in fighting her dog.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Her english is very broken so its difficult for me to understand how she describes the situation. But it seems like the people don't hide the fact that they purposely fight their dogs and even asked her ( before her 5 year old pit was stolen) if she was interested in fighting her dog.
Ah, I don't know I'd steer clear of it. If her English is as broken as you say then they may not have really said that to her. Just sayin.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Unless you have solid evidence,there really isn't anything that can be done.
I find it hard to believe they would just fight them where everyone can know about it.
Dogfights are pretty undisclosed,and well hidden.
They don;t want to be caught.

·
Registered
859 Posts
well a lot of young ppl aren't so discreet bout dog fighting they aren't true dogfighters so they will stage a fight in someone's backyard this is very common with young ppl and in bad areas where it's very common. My Uncle is a cop for the city of watts and he's seen this happen more than once. I wouldn't get involved unless YOU actually saw something and just keep you're dog safe at all times. When you go for walks always haev a cell on you and even some pepper spray because theives can take your dog right from you I've heard it happens a lot. Just in the city over where I lie a girl was walking her dog and a van pulled up and they beat her up and took her dog. :(

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
well a lot of young ppl aren't so discreet bout dog fighting they aren't true dogfighters so they will stage a fight in someone's backyard this is very common with young ppl and in bad areas where it's very common. My Uncle is a cop for the city of watts and he's seen this happen more than once. I wouldn't get involved unless YOU actually saw something and just keep you're dog safe at all times. When you go for walks always haev a cell on you and even some pepper spray because theives can take your dog right from you I've heard it happens a lot. Just in the city over where I lie a girl was walking her dog and a van pulled up and they beat her up and took her dog. :(
Another reason I always carry a taser when I walk ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
It`s extremely embarrassing to have AC knock on your door and cite you with an alleged "Animal Cruelty" ticket. The previous neighbors called AC saying my BF and I were fighting dogs (we have 3 pups, all 18 weeks old now, we all know how little pittie pups play - loud and rough). She caught my BF as he was leaving the house and tried to cite us telling him that if my dogs were in the back yard right then and there she was going to take them then and there right out of the yard & down to AC - all without ever having laid eyes on my dogs before. She even flat out refused to see the dogs when my boyfriend offered to show them to her.
All the bullcrap was dropped shortly after, but it was still a headache and extremely embarrassing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I remeber a time the police rolled up in front of my house and started asking questions about the dogs in the house and if they were fighting dogs. Some dogs play hard. My pit BB was about 50 pounds and my cousins bull mastiff was about 110 at the time so they played really rough nothing serious or dangerous to any of the dogs we would never allow that but with all the growling and barking it seems to someone who doesn't know the situation and the relationship of the dogs that the dogs are being hurt. However If I was her i would get solid evidence like everyone is saying. Maybe try and take pics or video. And if it is in fact a fighting ring report it to the local police and ac in person with evidence. They have to do something at that point.
As far as someone stealing your dog a microchip is not going to do anything for you. That's only if the dog gets lost. Keep your dogs inside when your not home make sure your doors and windows are locked if it really hot make sure you leave and fan or air conditioner on for the dogs so they don't overheat. But I do agree with "pitbullmamanatl" a GPS system inside the microchip would be awsome. Id definitly pay extra for that! They can put a man on the moon but don't have a GPS chip for dogs.....SMH

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I took your advice and told her to get some solid evidence or else butt out. She came back today with a picture in her camera phone of the dogs to show me how serious it is. One of the dogs noses was almost completely torn off his snout....and they did nothing to bandage it or clean it...he was just tied in the yard that way...it doesn't seem like normal playing/fighting of pits to me. My pits get scratched up a bit from one another but not like that... but she's going to leave the situation alone she decided due to the type of people they are. She said she's scared for what they'd do to her family if they found out she called them in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure where your co worker or you live but if its a bad area maybe you and her should invest in some protection training for your dogs. Just an idea. You shouldn't be affraid to walk with your dog that's just crazy to me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much does it cost to tattoo a dog? Perhaps I would get my pups and I.d. tat...and I just live in a really mexican area where people are big on pits...and I had a neighbor act strange and make comments about my blue bully and now I'm afraid to go to work everyday...

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
thats why im glad we live back in the sticks..... plus im related to everyone who lives on our road :)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
How much does it cost to tattoo a dog? Perhaps I would get my pups and I.d. tat...and I just live in a really mexican area where people are big on pits...and I had a neighbor act strange and make comments about my blue bully and now I'm afraid to go to work everyday...
you can actually buy a tatoo gun in a "Nightlight" catalog.. we used to get all of our hunting stuff threw them and they sell the gun with pretty much number stamps to number the dogs with

1 - 20 of 29 Posts