Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeding my sweet pitbull Lucky iams minichunks for the last 8 months, I started volunteering at my local animal rescue and asked them what they have in their food that is similar to iams minichunks... the owner of the rescue asked me why I am feeding him garbage that is actually making dogs ill...looked up iams on google and found 520 complaints about iams making their pets extremely sick and even killing some. Had to get Lucky some food last night so got him whole earth farms adult food but planning on switching to Fromm gold that my rescue sells. what is everyone's opinion of either food?

very happy Lucky didn't have any ill effects from iams....

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
Hello pitbull2063 and welcome to the forum.

Finding the right food for your particular dog can be a challenge, but not difficult. Even when you find a food that's healthy it might not agree with the dog. An important thing to remember is not to make the switch of food too rapidly. Start mixing a little of the new food to his existing food till gradually he is eating just the new food. Then give it a few days to see how it goes. One of the foods I tried with one of my pups was Blue Buffalo, a decent food, but gave the dog such gas that would clear a room. LOL.

As for which foods to try, click HERE for a great comparison on the different brands of foods and what to look for in any brand.

Joe

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Fromm and whole earth farms are MUCH better than IAMS so that's great!!!! Honestly Fromm is overpriced though. Earthborn Hollistics and Merrick grain free is cheaper and better IMO. Instinct is also a good one.

Personally I prefer straight raw or Orijen/Acana but not everyone has these kibbles on their budgets. So get the best you can afford :) there are lots of options now days!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it sounds like IAMS must of changed how it is made since P&G own them now... IAMS used to be considered premium...

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
What's your budget like? Taste of the Wild is a good, middle-of-the-road food that is usually affordable depending on where you live.

I feed Acana Duck & Pear and I agree with Coach, I consider Acana and Origen to be pretty much the best foods you can get (other than raw). Champion Petfoods is an awesome company that never has any recalls and all of their ingredients are locally sourced.

Whatever you choose, try to go with a food that doesn't have unnecessary fillers like corn, soy, and animal byproducts. Grain free is also good, but some dogs are fine with grains.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I also agree with Acana, Champion brands, as the tops in kibble. Nadia, I will say that I just bought my parents dogs, both of which are on their last legs, Fromm Mature Adult for $36.00 (33lb bag). I thought that was reasonable.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Every reply is the right answer,
Just test a few out, what works for you might not work for someonene else.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Maybe you can try first small sample bags, like TOTW Orijen Acana enz..and then make a good decision.
My dogs like Acana (Sport&Agility), so I'll stick with that
Succes

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Orijen is the best.
Orijen is a very very good kibble, I agree with that, but I'm not sure if It's the 'best'
I hear a lot lately about ZiwiPeak from New Zealand, It's a very expensive kibble with a very high content of fresh meat (over 90%) enz.
For example: ZiwiPeak Real Meat Grain Free Air Dried Dog Food, Lamb, 2.2lb $29,26 (and this is 1 of the cheapest)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts