Go Pitbull Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feed Chino this stuff called Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice for Puppies. The food is really light colored, so his poo comes out really light, it looks like pumpkin pie filling. He seems to take well to the stuff. Cost about $50 for a 50lb bag. What is THE BEST food in a 50lb bag btw? I was looking at the Orijen...ingredients sound really good. Any idea if it comes in 50lb bags? And roughly the cost?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Strange my dog loves dryer sheets to. But I feed Orijen and so far its been perfect.
I have come to notice it takes 2 days for him to pass them after I do laundry. He must think they are something special since I have never witnessed him steal one just clean up the evidence.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
if you just say "soap" Peanut comes running like hes going to get a treat.

how fast do you go thru a 50lb?

i have only one dog to feed so i may go thru food slower but i get the 13 bag of evo and the meduim bag of wilderness it takes a little over 3 weeks to go thru that for Peanut alone.

for me i worry about getting a larger bag because the foods dont have artificial preservatives i worry it will expire before i get thru it. but i can totally understand feeding multiple dogs needing bigger bags. i dont think i save any money buying smaller bags i just couldnt get thru a big bag fast enough

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I'm not even going to embarrass myself right now, but I'll tell you all dogs are doing good on what there eating ;)

Hows this one look?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
lol I know what you mean marty thats why I didn't mention what dog food I use. I can't afford that expensive stuff. Too many mouths to feed but all mine are health so thats what matters. I go through about 3 to 4 40lb bags a month on 8 dogs

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
rule of thumb (im totally gonna trademark this lol)

if u can buy your dog food at a grocery store, walmart, target, or flea market, it is not a good food to feed ur dog.

the reason i say this is becuz alot of people arent aware of how low the food they are feeding scores.

i personally feed orijen. it a 6star food but very pricey (and it doesnt help that it jumped up in price just recently) but it is a GREAATTTT food. kenya has gotten definition in ways i wouldnt have imagined, and she is only 7months. she is well on her way to looking like lil bits little cousin or somethin lol. The way i see it is, who cares how much it is, becuz its worth it in the end. to the OP, check out the health and nutrition section and there is a sticky about rating ur dog food. if money is a factor, Blue Buffalo is reasonably priced at petsmart and is a 4star feed.

good luck

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I feed Chino this stuff called Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice for Puppies. The food is really light colored, so his poo comes out really light, it looks like pumpkin pie filling. He seems to take well to the stuff. Cost about $50 for a 50lb bag. What is THE BEST food in a 50lb bag btw? I was looking at the Orijen...ingredients sound really good. Any idea if it comes in 50lb bags? And roughly the cost?
50lbs of Orijen cost about 50$ to 60$ Poops are the color of a tootsie roll with the consitancy of playdough. Healthy hyper and happy puppy.
no way man!!!!

havent found it in a 50lb bag. its a great food but expensive. i payed $70 for a 30lb bag =/

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
lol now I didn't say I got my food from the grocery store it comes from pet depot its just not one of the high end dog foods its more of a middle grade. Its not a well brand(lol using bartender talk here) No kibble or purina here lol. But I can't afford what you buy. Us working kennels spend alot of money on our dogs anyways. I have found that a good operating kennel that is in it for the dogs does good to pay for their dog food cause no dog is going to a bad home they will keep them first.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
lol now I didn't say I got my food from the grocery store it comes from pet depot its just not one of the high end dog foods its more of a middle grade. Its not a well brand(lol using bartender talk here) No kibble or purina here lol. But I can't afford what you buy. Us working kennels spend alot of money on our dogs anyways. I have found that a good operating kennel that is in it for the dogs does good to pay for their dog food cause no dog is going to a bad home they will keep them first.
oh i wasnt referrin to u hun. ahhaha, iw as jsut saying rule of thumb... im talking about alpo, purina, beneful.... it was mainly for the OP, since she said she was feedin beneful

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
lol I know what you mean marty thats why I didn't mention what dog food I use. I can't afford that expensive stuff. Too many mouths to feed but all mine are health so thats what matters. I go through about 3 to 4 40lb bags a month on 8 dogs
Understandable.
Sometimes, it is difficult to buy certain kinds when you don't have the money.

it was mainly for the OP, since she said she was feedin beneful
I really appreciate your help, and I'm going to research this a lot more and find a different kind.

I don't have a PetSmart in my area, and my local feed store doesn't a lot of dog food.

I feel like a horrible owner, now.
No, I'm just kidding.
Seriously, she is healthy, and I do my best (for what I know), but now that I'm aware of this low rating, I'm going to research and make a few changes.

I really appreciate all the responses and feedback.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
you can only feed what your budget allows and that is understandable. i can feed what i do because i have 1 mouth to feed and i cut out things for myself when the food container gets low. that and i look for coupons on the internet:) i am not above coupons i love em :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
i just switched to wellness super5mix its a lil pricey $28 for 15lbs but its a 5 star food and i only got one dog so y not give her the good stuff

·
Registered
16 Posts
I looked up the Orijen...I'm gonna have to switch to that stuff. I was told at Petsmart BB was the best...Liars! Orijen kills it in the ratings and after looking at the ingredients, I'm considering switching my diet to this stuff. Found a place in Seattle that carries it for 63.99 for a 30lb bag. Heading up there this Saturday anyways to go watch my first ever weight pull event! I have no idea what to expect, so I'm pretty excited! Thanks for the info on the Orijen guys!

By the way, do I purchase just "puppy" or "large puppy" formula?

·
Registered
22 Posts
i just switched to wellness super5mix its a lil pricey $28 for 15lbs but its a 5 star food and i only got one dog so y not give her the good stuff
Hey just to let you know wellness super5mix is different then it was wellness went under a change in there food and there 5 mix isnt as good as lets say a Evo or Innova etc.. If you are set on using Wellness I would use there CORE which is grain free not sure how old your dog is but its a great food just not for a puppy..

Another option that I use for my Lab is Eagle Pack there Holistic Select I use there senior Care which is great for my 11 yr old Lab... For my Pit Puppy Rico I use Innova Puppy formula..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I looked up the Orijen...I'm gonna have to switch to that stuff. I was told at Petsmart BB was the best...Liars! Orijen kills it in the ratings and after looking at the ingredients, I'm considering switching my diet to this stuff. Found a place in Seattle that carries it for 63.99 for a 30lb bag. Heading up there this Saturday anyways to go watch my first ever weight pull event! I have no idea what to expect, so I'm pretty excited! Thanks for the info on the Orijen guys!

By the way, do I purchase just "puppy" or "large puppy" formula?
Here is the thing I was told for a dog that is gonna get bigger then 80lb then go for the large breed formula if not use there just puppy formula. I had started using Innova puppy formula which is a great dog food $52 for a 30lb bag for my Pit pup which is only 9 weeks old but since his dad is 120lb and the mom is 95lb after I finish this bag I will switch to the large breed formula that has lower amounts in calcium and other supplements so the pup doesnt grow to fast or get bone spurts figuring that the pup is gonna grow on his own so its considered a better formula for a pup.. So with that if your pup is gonna be bigger then 80lb get the large breed formula..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hey just to let you know wellness super5mix is different then it was wellness went under a change in there food and there 5 mix isnt as good as lets say a Evo or Innova etc.. If you are set on using Wellness I would use there CORE which is grain free not sure how old your dog is but its a great food just not for a puppy..

Another option that I use for my Lab is Eagle Pack there Holistic Select I use there senior Care which is great for my 11 yr old Lab... For my Pit Puppy Rico I use Innova Puppy formula..
thanks for the info my pup is 10 months old fresh off of puppy food i will look into the core but were i live i cant get my hands on the evo or the oriejn i would love to give it to her the wellness super5 may not be the greatest but it the best i can get my hands on without ordering the food even if they changed im sure its better than the other foods at my disposal(purina, iams, pedigree etc...) I also looked up the exact product im feeding her on the food analysis site and it was 5 star so they couldnt have changed for the worse that much

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am starting my pup out on Kirkland Signature puppy food. It is a brand you can only get at Costco. I'm not sure if Costco is country wide but at 12$ for 20lbs its a good deal. It also has a true meat product as the first ingredient.

Calorie Content
3,761 kcal/kg (356 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Ingredients:
Chicken,chicken meal,whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, egg product, beet pulp, chicken fat(preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), potatoes,fish meal, flaxseed,natural flavors, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder,
salmon oil (a source of DHA), rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 28.0% minimum
Crude Fat 17.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% minimum
Moisture 10.0% minimum
Calcium 1.2% minimum
Phosphorus 1.0%minimum
Zinc 225mg/kg minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
Vitamin E 250 IU/kg minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.0% minimum*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum*
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 0.05% minimum*

·
Registered
98 Posts
We are currently using the Purina Pro Plan puppy food. Abby literally inhales it and is finished in about 2 minutes. She must like the taste.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
dogs do not have as many taste buds as humans so they can taste just not as well as we can. that is why they are able to scarf down food they dont need to taste it.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts