Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dog hurt her leg back on easter playing frisbee. Pretty sure she sprained it or turned it pretty good. Because everyday she increased in health and within like 4 days she wasn't limping. Welll I didnt take her out till last thursday. first time back at the dog park, she was fine. Went on a small hike on sat she was fine, and a walk on sunday she was fine.
Yesterday I took her to the dog park, and like usually she runs in like a bat out of hell, just running circles around the dogs trying to get them to chase her. Within like 10 seconds I hear a yelp, she comes up limping. Same front left leg. Now she can barely walk. She did it yesterday at 3, but I can tell its bugging her more than the first injury. Think I should take her to the vet today? Or wait a couple days and see? She can put pressure on it, but she would rather not. I def dont think there is a break. I would NORMALLY have no problem taking her in asap. But no joke have spent almost 2k in past 8 months on vet bills, from her stupid toe surgery and then her seizure. And thats not including the monthly adequan bills for my other pit. So unless I have to, I would rather not go in. Im thinking maybe just pick up a prescription vicodine-type painkiller designed for dogs. I forgot what it is called buy she has one more refill from her toe surgery. What would you guys do? Lol try to keep in account I already dished out 2k on vet past like 8 months..:mad:

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
She needs to be on crate rest for several weeks. She could have torn her Cruciate Ligament. If that is what it is and it usually is then it will get worse and surgery will probably have to be done if you don't do crate rest. Rest her for 4-6 weeks and see how she does. She will probably not like it but it is better than the alternative.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That what I was going to do except the crate part lol. I can have her just stay and lay on my couch or on her bed and, then I carry her to the bed at night. Only time she would walk is to go outside walk about 20 yards and pee and poo. Think that would be ok?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
No. She needs strict crate rest or it will just get worse and worse. I had to keep my girl on crate rest for ten days recently because of a soft tissue injury. If it wasn't for the crate she would have never of gotten better that quick. What is your issue with crate resting her? Honestly if she we're my dog regardless of how much I've spent at the vet I would take her for an xray asap! Oh, and pit bulls don't belong at dog parks! She could have a fight next time and then that will be more $$$$ out your pocket either paying for her injuries or the other dog in the fight or both. We have a thread on pit bulls and dog parks. You should read it ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No. She needs strict crate rest or it will just get worse and worse. I had to keep my girl on crate rest for ten days recently because of a soft tissue injury. If it wasn't for the crate she would have never of gotten better that quick. What is your issue with crate resting her? Honestly if she we're my dog regardless of how much I've spent at the vet I would take her for an xray asap! Oh, and pit bulls don't belong at dog parks! She could have a fight next time and then that will be more $$$$ out your pocket either paying for her injuries or the other dog in the fight or both. We have a thread on pit bulls and dog parks. You should read it ;)
She will go crazy in the crate. Seriousley I dont know if she would make it. Crate training her as a pup was a nightmare. She is always at my side so if she was in a crate she would be prob just crying the whole time. She would still be in a sedentary laying position all day except just to go to the bathroom. I dont have a prob with an X-Ray, I just dish out more than 350 right now. Was off work for 4 months, just got back on. And dont have any more money than 350.
And the dog park thing. A true socialized pit will do fine there bud. My dogs have therapy liscenses, CGC liceenses, and trained to "advanced training". Part of her training was done in dog parks. My dogs have been attacked several times throughout the years. For some reason German sheppard hate rambunctious chasing pits. Each time was a German Sheppard. My dogs dont bite back, just run to me, or Ill be around to break it up. My dogs have also been going there since there parvo shots were fully done with. My dogs wont even play bite (reference if your dog bit you thread in general lol) they are very submissive. Only time I have ever seen my dogs get narly. Was when 3 coyotes came on our property. Oh they were ready for war.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Crate rest! She may not like it, but if she did tear something it lessens the chance of having to do expensive surgery. The more active she is the bigger risk of doing more damage. CRATE HER, especially if you can't take her to the vet now to see what the problem is.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
She will go crazy in the crate. Seriousley I dont know if she would make it. Crate training her as a pup was a nightmare. She is always at my side so if she was in a crate she would be prob just crying the whole time. She would still be in a sedentary laying position all day except just to go to the bathroom. I dont have a prob with an X-Ray, I just dish out more than 350 right now. Was off work for 4 months, just got back on. And dont have any more money than 350.
And the dog park thing. A true socialized pit will do fine there bud. My dogs have therapy liscenses, CGC liceenses, and trained to "advanced training". Part of her training was done in dog parks. Both of my dogs have been attacked several times throughout the years. For some reason German sheppard hate rambunctious chasing pits. Each time was a German Sheppard. My dogs dont bite back, just run to me, or Ill be around to break it up. My dogs have also been going there since there parvo shots were fully done with. My dogs wont even play bite (reference if your dog bit you thread in general lol) they are very submissive. Only time I have ever seen my dogs get narly. Was when 3 coyotes came on our property. Oh they were ready for war.
You will have many that will highly disagree on you taking your dogs to a dog park. This is a naturally DA breed cgc's or not. My girl loves other dogs to but at some point she may not. Maybe you own two one in a million non DA pits. Anyways, if you never trained your dogs to be used to a crate then that will make it harder to heal her. I carried my girl up and down the stairs to outside put her in the grass to potty and picked her back up and put her back in the crate for ten days straight. She hated it to and seemed depressed at times but it was for her own good. My girl was a nightmare in the crate at first to but I wasn't giving in to her whining which is why now she loves her crate. I am the "alpha female" not her. No dog will be the boss of me lol!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will have many that will highly disagree on you taking your dogs to a dog park. This is a naturally DA breed cgc's or not. My girl loves other dogs to but at some point she may not. Maybe you own two one in a million non DA pits. Anyways, if you never trained your dogs to be used to a crate then that will make it harder to heal her. I carried my girl up and down the stairs to outside put her in the grass to potty and picked her back up and put her back in the crate for ten days straight. She hated it to and seemed depressed at times but it was for her own good. My girl was a nightmare in the crate at first to but I wasn't giving in to her whining which is why now she loves her crate. I am the "alpha female" not her. No dog will be the boss of me lol!
Yeah I understand, and actually agree. It all depends on the dog, I would never advocate all pitbulls should be allowed to go to parks. It really dpends on your dogs socialization, training, temperament and personality. Isis who is going on almost 8 years old has been going since she I got her at one in a half years old. Maggie has been going for a year. I agree not all pits should go to dogparks. Ive seen some ridiculous pits at my park, where there owners don't care and sit at a table 300 yards away from their dog. My dogs know commands on whistle, clicks, and voice. Like you Im the alpha, and they damn well know who's boss. They know if they even tried to play bite another dog... ohh man. They are going to get the cleanest longest bath EVER. And they dont want that very much. I crate trained her fine. Did it for about 3 weeks, but she just cried the WHOLE time. I didnt give in either but at the same time, I don't want to play the bad guy for 4-5 weeks straight telling her to be quiet. If she can do the same thing she does in a crate on the couch or on her bed.. then why not? Does the crate have special healing powers or something that regular bedrest cant give?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just curious but why would you continue to take your dog there if they have already been attacked several times?
Lol should I post a video of me saying "Wanna go to the Dog park?" Compared to "Wanna go on a walk?" to my dog. If she wasnt hurt I would, you will see how much more excited she gets about the dog park. Isis the same way, though she would take squirrel hunting out of anything. Out of like 15-20 years (half of those as a kid when my mom owned pits), 4 dog parks, 4-5 attacks. Not too bad of stats, when you consider I would take them 3-4 times a week. Its usually the unfixed, testosterone out male German Sheppard. Nothing usually happens, only once did I ever see a scratch deep enough to be a cut. Most of the time my dogs bullet straight to me. But every time was a German Sheppard. Never the same one. But always a damn male German Sheppard. They have it out for female pits I think lol

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Lol should I post a video of me saying "Wanna go to the Dog park?" Compared to "Wanna go on a walk?" to my dog. If she wasnt hurt I would, you will see how much more excited she gets about the dog park. Isis the same way, though she would take squirrel hunting out of anything. Out of like 15-20 years (half of those as a kid when my mom owned pits), 4 dog parks, 4-5 attacks. Not too bad of stats, when you consider I would take them 3-4 times a week. Its usually the unfixed, testosterone out male German Sheppard. Nothing usually happens, only once did I ever see a scratch deep enough to be a cut. Most of the time my dogs bullet straight to me. But every time was a German Sheppard. Never the same one. But always a damn male German Sheppard. They have it out for female pits I think lol
I'm sure your dogs do get more excited.No need to prove that point to me.But what you and alot of other owners need to understand is that owning a apbt is not like owning any other breed of dog.If your dog does happen to snap back or bite the other dog and cause damage who do you think is going to get blamed?Your dog,even if they didn't start it.These dogs are so close to being banned everywhere and are already banned in alot of places.So what happens with your dogs not only affects you but it affects all of our dogs to.Why chance it?
But anyways this thread wasn't about that so carry on.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
That what I was going to do except the crate part lol. I can have her just stay and lay on my couch or on her bed and, then I carry her to the bed at night. Only time she would walk is to go outside walk about 20 yards and pee and poo. Think that would be ok?
And the dog park thing. A true socialized pit will do fine there bud. My dogs have therapy liscenses, CGC liceenses, and trained to "advanced training". Part of her training was done in dog parks. My dogs have been attacked several times throughout the years. For some reason German sheppard hate rambunctious chasing pits. Each time was a German Sheppard. My dogs dont bite back, just run to me, or Ill be around to break it up. My dogs have also been going there since there parvo shots were fully done with. My dogs wont even play bite (reference if your dog bit you thread in general lol) they are very submissive. Only time I have ever seen my dogs get narly. Was when 3 coyotes came on our property. Oh they were ready for war.
If you don't want to crate he how do you expect her to heal? Stick her in a crate and let her scream till she stops. Crate training is as simple as that, it could take a few days or even a week but you keep with it and she sill learn to be on in a crate. Give her something to chew on and she will be fine.

I'm sure your dogs do get more excited.No need to prove that point to me.But what you and alot of other owners need to understand is that owning a apbt is not like owning any other breed of dog.If your dog does happen to snap back or bite the other dog and cause damage who do you think is going to get blamed?Your dog,even if they didn't start it.These dogs are so close to being banned everywhere and are already banned in alot of places.So what happens with your dogs not only affects you but it affects all of our dogs to.Why chance it?
But anyways this thread wasn't about that so carry on.
:goodpost: UGH dog park people......

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys and your dog parks. Once again. I never advocated all pits should go. It should be based on the dogs itself. By the way just got back from the vet!! So as I was puttin the leash on her I saw a bruise on her left toe. Phew! Only ended up being a hairline fracture on the toe. She is out of comission for 2 months. But thank god, no ligament, tendon or that sort of thing, I was dreading the "S" word. And I did ask the vet about he crate and they said I didn't need to, just make sure she is resting. I know it was the husky she was running with, he had to of stepped on her toes wierd.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Dude I just logged in to comment that taking a pitbull to a dog park is like carrying a loaded gun with no safety in your pants waistline in the middle of a moshpit. Hopefully it doesn't go off but there's a good chance it will.. LOL. (and thats all I gotta say about that)

But as far as the injury goes.

First of all, if you can afford it. Get her leg xrayed. Rule out anything MAJOR.
Second of all, keep her crated besides her going to the bathroom. Keep her occupied, and dont give into whining. She will become restless but its better than reaggravating an injury.
Third of all you can supplement glucosamine and fish oil for cartiledge but not necessary. A food high in fat will properly lubricate joints and has anti inflammatory effects that should keep swelling to a minimum.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Dude I just logged in to comment that taking a pitbull to a dog park is like carrying a loaded gun with no safety in your pants waistline in the middle of a moshpit. Hopefully it doesn't go off but there's a good chance it will.. LOL. (and thats all I gotta say about that)

But as far as the injury goes.

First of all, if you can afford it. Get her leg xrayed. Rule out anything MAJOR.
Second of all, keep her crated besides her going to the bathroom. Keep her occupied, and dont give into whining. She will become restless but its better than reaggravating an injury.
Third of all you can supplement glucosamine and fish oil for cartiledge but not necessary. A food high in fat will properly lubricate joints and has anti inflammatory effects that should keep swelling to a minimum.
Well I do open carry with no safety "on". Thats the beauty of glocks.:clap: Secondly, your metaphor makes perfect sense to idiot dog owners who dont properly train or socialize their dogs. Mine have been trained to "advanced", CGC license, and Therapy license. Curious if your staffy has the qualifications? I highly doubt it. Part of Maggies training was done in dog parks. My one dog has been going 6.5 years or so, and NEVER has bit another dog despite being attacked on two different occasions. My other has been going a year no problems. Shes too submissive. Ill say it twice and say it a third time, never said all pits should go. It truely depends on the individual dog.

-Got the Xrays
-No crating. I live in a one bedroom apartment. she sleeps on the couch all damn day. She will stay on the couch. Talked to the vet and he said its just as good.
- She currently takes fish oil, just cause I love how shiny her coat gets and just cause my other dog Isis who does have arthritis takes them. Glucosemon I will try that, I give it to my other pup anyways.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Mine have been trained to "advanced", CGC license, and Therapy license. Curious if your staffy has the qualifications?
Oh let me handle this one guys.......

There is no such thing as an advanced CGC license. Therapy dogs and CGC's are easy to get if you have a well behaved dog but they do not need to be high trained. I have been training dogs professionally for over 15 years and own a training business. I also am a CGC tester and know for a fact you are talking out of your booty when you say you have an advanced CGC, no such thing exists.
I have 5 therapy dog (22 dogs with CGC's) and just because they are therapy dogs does not mean they are not DA. Two of my therapy dogs killed my Border Collie in an unfortunate accident that was my fault. Just because you have therapy dogs does not mean anything in the way of DA. My dogs are fine on leash and on visits but off leash would not be ok with other dogs.

My dogs are highly trained and have earned things from an EASY as a CGC to obedience titles like UCD, RO1, RO2, and working on my UCDX and UT titles. I also have earned titles in all levels of agility including championships, I have titles in Sch and working on our Sch1. So let me ask you, curious if your pit has the qualifications? All these accomplishments and more I did not mention and I am not dumb enough to take my dogs to a dog park. I use my dogs on private lessons where I have aggressive out of control dogs and my dogs will just hold a down stay when that dog is trying to get them. I use them as part of my training with aggressive dogs and my dogs are fine. I own bulldogs that are DA but under control with obed but that does not mean I would go to a dog park.

Your logic is flawed too, just because you never had a problem does not mean you can't have one. That's like saying I run red lights and have never been in a wreck. One day it will catch up to you.
Your going to do what you want to do and that is your choice we gave the reason why you should not now it is up to you.

·
Registered
471 Posts
[quote ]And the dog park thing. A true socialized pit will do fine there bud. My dogs have therapy liscenses, CGC liceenses, and trained to "advanced training". Part of her training was done in dog parks. My dogs have been attacked several times throughout the years. For some reason German sheppard hate rambunctious chasing pits. Each time was a German Sheppard. My dogs dont bite back, just run to me, or Ill be around to break it up. My dogs have also been going there since there parvo shots were fully done with. My dogs wont even play bite (reference if your dog bit you thread in general lol) they are very submissive. Only time I have ever seen my dogs get narly. Was when 3 coyotes came on our property. Oh they were ready for war.[/quote]

It doesnt matter how well your dog its trained , the Apbt is a DA agressive breed . I hate to be rude but it is people like you that think nothing will happen that make our breed look bad when it does .. All it takes it that one wrong action when you are not paying attention for it to happen . blue nose it right, there are alot of people who are going to disagree with you there .. Pits dont belong in dog parks period ,, sorry for going off topic but this really bothered me ..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First never said she had advanced cgc license. Said she had up to advanced training and cgc and therapy license. And for the millionth time. I never said all pits should go. It really depends on the dog itself. Your dogs may bite back when being attacked, but honestly when it has happened to mine they just run to me. They know there punishment if they even play bite.
Love how people assume your a bad pb owner by bringing a trained well socialized dog to a dog park. How about we agree to disagree about sending My dogs to the park.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts