Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dixie is definitely the most sensitive dog I have ever had. She is always thinking that I am going to put her up when I approach her (she crouches down and runs off). Every time we stay at my parents house for the weekend, it takes her a good 3-5 days once we get back before she starts acting like herself again (she just looks miserable once we get back and is constantly scared and hiding). It would be different if I had hit her or something but I NEVER spank her or hit her and she is one of the most loved and spoiled dogs. Any suggestion to help her? Or is this just how she is and will always be. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
sounds fearful more then sensitive. Id just use lots of praise and soft baby voiced . socialize her with lots of people and places. When she acts scared or shy dont encourage that dont baby her then or " its ok baby blah blah blah blah" baby her when she does something positive. some dogs feed off that energy when they get loved on when acting scared, I had a boston who if heard lightning would shake and hide if we loved on him thinking we were making it better he would shake worse and carry on, if we ignored the behaviour he snapped out of it quicker. How old is dixie? was thinking she was a puppy, and how long have you owned her. I would just enforce the good behaviour when she is normal and good praise praise and praise. If this gets worse or is she starts showing fear to people you may want to work with a trainer who is experienced with this as you dont want the fear to turn to fear aggression.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
sounds fearful more then sensitive. Id just use lots of praise and soft baby voiced . socialize her with lots of people and places. When she acts scared or shy dont encourage that dont baby her then or " its ok baby blah blah blah blah" baby her when she does something positive. some dogs feed off that energy when they get loved on when acting scared, I had a boston who if heard lightning would shake and hide if we loved on him thinking we were making it better he would shake worse and carry on, if we ignored the behaviour he snapped out of it quicker. How old is dixie? was thinking she was a puppy, and how long have you owned her. I would just enforce the good behaviour when she is normal and good praise praise and praise. If this gets worse or is she starts showing fear to people you may want to work with a trainer who is experienced with this as you dont want the fear to turn to fear aggression.
Yeah she is around dogs all the time. But I will try what you said and see if it helps at all. Thanks

And she is 7 months old and I have had her since she was 8 weeks. She just always seems hesitant when I call her to me or approach her. Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
some dogs are just shy and need an extra bit of coaxing to come out of there shell, just bring here everywhere you can and socialize alot. If you see signs of it getting worse like growling at people , backing up hair raising you may want to work with a trainer . Last thing you want is for that to turn to aggression. Sounds like some extra coaxing will help though .

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dog does the same exact thing. Heck, i bought some cow hide and tied it to her spring pole and now she will barely go into the back yard now. lol!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dog does the same exact thing. Heck, i bought some cow hide and tied it to her spring pole and now she will barely go into the back yard now. lol!!
Hahaha thats funny. She loves her spring pole but that sounds like something she would do lol

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Sounds to me like she's displaying a submissive behavior. Like Angel said, work on socializing her more, praise and reward for good behavior, but don't baby her, as that only reinforces the undesired behavior. You should work on some reinforcement training, both in the house and out in public, to better build her confidence. You have to be the leader, and if you're showing her it's okay to be scared (even if you don't realize you're doing it), then you're only making matters worse. I suggest speaking in a lower tone of voice, but higher pitched, happy voice when she does what you desire. When she cowers or hides, speak normally.

Try putting her on a long line (20 ft lead) in the house, and work on her recall. Keep hold of the leash, allowing her to roam as far as the lead will allow, and call her to you. I recommend having treats on hand to reward her with. When she comes to you, give her a treat. If she doesn't come when called, don't continue to call her and then get up and grab her. Using the lead, reel her in to you, like you would a fish on a line, repeating the command (Dixie, come), and when you've gotten her in front of you, praise and reward. I hope this helps you out a bit. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds to me like she's displaying a submissive behavior. Like Angel said, work on socializing her more, praise and reward for good behavior, but don't baby her, as that only reinforces the undesired behavior. You should work on some reinforcement training, both in the house and out in public, to better build her confidence. You have to be the leader, and if you're showing her it's okay to be scared (even if you don't realize you're doing it), then you're only making matters worse. I suggest speaking in a lower tone of voice, but higher pitched, happy voice when she does what you desire. When she cowers or hides, speak normally.

Try putting her on a long line (20 ft lead) in the house, and work on her recall. Keep hold of the leash, allowing her to roam as far as the lead will allow, and call her to you. I recommend having treats on hand to reward her with. When she comes to you, give her a treat. If she doesn't come when called, don't continue to call her and then get up and grab her. Using the lead, reel her in to you, like you would a fish on a line, repeating the command (Dixie, come), and when you've gotten her in front of you, praise and reward. I hope this helps you out a bit. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to let us know.
Yes she is definitely very submissive. I will definitely try your suggestions. Thanks so much

1 - 8 of 8 Posts