Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week i found a pitbull, i brought him to his owners, who told me they didnt want him. (real jerks).. itook him to the vet, vet puts his age a about 8 months, good health.. my problem is my male is 14months and they do not get along at all.. my dog listens well,but the new pup seems to be the trouble maker, which makes mine act a fool... then i got to straighten them both out. what can i do to slowly change the fighting problem.. i dont want to give up yet. the young puppy needs training.. dont want to send the pup to the animal shelter.. he deserves a chance.. so any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thankn u

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I don't want to be a downer but you'll probably end up having to have them separate most of the time. I'm assuming your male is also an APBT or similar? The breed is not really as suited to multi dog households like some other breeds might be and male/male is probably the least desirable combination.

You might be lucky and be able to have them together sometimes under supervision but having them together 24/7 is not really an option. I don't even do that with male/female SBTs.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
You should report the original owner to animal control and see what they can do about them abandoning an animal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my male is a apbt, i can deal with them getting along while supervised, keeping them seperated at times to is ok. i want to get them to the supervised part.. neither of them are fixed yet, but will be soon.. i thought about reporting the old owners but im afraid they will come and take the dog. he will have no chance in a shelter

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
unfortunately it still may never happen like you want it to.. fact is you never know when it could jump off..

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I wouldnt even push it , if there are signs now they wont get along why chance trying to do supervised play times? accidents can happen very quick so I would just keep them seperated. Crate and rotate. If your not set up to do that long term Id try and find the right home to take him. I have 3 males 2 I know dont get along the 3rd we havent even tried just isnt worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Am I naive to think there must be a way because Cesar Millan does it?
what you see on his yard is a few minutes where they chose to show you and its highly supervised. He has had fights on his yard and even on camera. I think he gives people a false sense of security showing them all the good. He also doesnt have triggers in there you see in most homes, scraps of food, toys, ect things that trigger it. Some can live in a multi dog house and never have issues. But DA is in the genetics and isnt something you can train out, something you can manage depending on the severity of it but not deminish completely.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Crate and rotate and lots of supervision if they are ever loose together. Remember the new pup still needs to adapt to his "new home" as I'm sure if he was left out to die or survive he probably has not been raised in the greatest enviroment or socialized properly.

This is the PERFECT example of why this breed is NOT for just anyone.

Good luck with your pup and I commend you for adopting him into your home.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Have you done a two week shut down? This would be my first step. While in the 2 week shut down. Start working with your pup on basic training. Slowly intro them in a controlled area. Both on leashes. Learn about C&R and be prepared to use it. We use baby gates to control their movement. Always supervise. It will take time, and C&R is very easy it just takes time getting used to the system and everyone needs to be on the same page with the training.Thanks for saving his life.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Can you give a reference for more info on C&R? I'm not familiar.
Crate & Rotate. Basically not having them in the same area of the house/yard at the same time.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Ya with my group the ones that dont get along we pretty much rotate them between there crates, outside and inside depending on the weather. Its yucky here and none want to be outside longer then 10 minutes so its rotating between crates and who is running the house free.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont get me wrong, im not expecting them to be happy together 24/7.. But I do want to curb as much aggression as I can, they both ae scheduled to be fixed next week. The new dog has no home training, but is learning quick. Ive takimg them for a walk together and managed to get them to lay down on each side of me... Thanks for all the suggestions.. Help is appreaciated Op

1 - 16 of 16 Posts