·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog owners could get 90 days to break chains

By RICK LAVENDER
The Times
GAINESVILLE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gainesville dog owners who keep their pets tethered or chained may have 90 days to comply with a chaining ban the City Council likely will adopt early next month.

Council discussed the grace period during a work session Thursday.

The board favored outlawing tethering 4-1 two days earlier. A final vote is scheduled for June 5. If approved as written, restrictions will go into effect immediately.

Mayor Pro-tem Myrtle Figueras asked council Thursday to consider a six-month delay.

Figueras, who opposed the ban as government intrusion ripe with unpredictable fallout, said the Humane Society of Hall County will need time to pursue grants and devise a plan to help low-income dog owners. "I'd like to see that plan" first, she said.

But most council members sided with Danny Dunagan's suggestion of 90 days instead of six months.

"I think that is a reasonable time," Mayor Bob Hamrick said later.

Figueras does not disagree. "At least," she said, "it gives a person a chance to say I can do this or I can't do this."

Dunagan said enforcement will be spurred by complaints, not animal control staff searching for dogs on chains.

"I think it's not going to be something that comes (up) ... unless there's a call. ... Hopefully, they're going to use some common sense."

The amendment will make it unlawful to restrain a dog or other domestic animal by tether, chain, cable, rope or cord, unless the tether is held by someone as a leash.

Some area counties, including Gwinnett, have banned or limited tethering.

Hall Humane Society leaders pressed council to bar the practice, which they consider cruel. They plan to approach the county commission after the city ordinance is finalized.

Council meets at 5:30 p.m. June 5 in the Georgia Mountains Center, 301 Main St.

http://www.gainesvi lletimes. com/news/ stories/20070518 /localnews/ 174370.shtml

Jodi Preis
Bless the Bullys - Defending Dog - Bull Breed Alliance of Tennessee

·
Registered
749 Posts
:clap: Congrats for another useless law!

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Thats ridiculous. I know what they are after but lets condisder this. The option is to kennel. Your average store bought kennel is 10x10 which equals out to100sqft of living space. If you had your dog on a 10ft chain that is more traveling and roaming space than the kennel!! Not to mention if you have your dog on cable runs!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I called animal control on my neighbor the other day (long overdue) for "chaining" his GSD to a tree for the past 3 months. I say chaining but in reality it is an 8ft nylon leash broken in two pieces and tied together in the middle. The dog has no shelter and no human contact that I've ever witnessed. Half the time his bowls are just out of reach! He hears me and my dogs next door and howls and wines and barks like crazy. He got loose once and the other day he finally broke loose again! :snap:

I finally called AC. They showed up and gave them a citation with stipulations on housing etc. I live in Gainesville but am just outside the city limits so the new law doesn't apply. I spoke to the AC guy for a long while. He is concerned the new law will bring on more problems. I don't agree with chaining 24/7 but I tend to agree. There are people that chain and take great care of their dogs. Then there are morons like my neighbor that don't deserve to own a dog.

I would say enforce cruelty and neglect laws but to outlaw "chaining" may be going too far. :cop:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts