Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ambully vs. APBT.

Can the Ambully handle a dog park better than the APBT? We all know dog parks are taboo on this site.

But no one's really said if the situation differs between the two breeds. Although they are still very close in kin & was wondering what others thought?

:roll:

Which also leads me to another question. How do fellow APBT owners handle their dogs at the vet with other idiots & their dogs around (& yes, I assume everyone outside of GP's a moron until proven otherwise)? :D Being a vets office is a similar scenario as a dog park but smaller atmosphere.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Bernie is a dream he never reacts, he cries a lot but he listens. I've had him so socialized and plus the obedience class we took reinforced proper behaviors. ON sunday we were in a room with a GSD, Lab and a crate with 4 puppies. The room was very small but he stayed seated to my left whinning and bubbling out of his mouth because he wanted to get naughty with the GSD lol

I don't think any breed is a good choice for a dog park, the problem is ignorant dog owners that do not understand body language. See let's say someone has a labrador that is insecure and fear agressive. Yea a lab may not continue fighting it's injured but the lab has a teeth and it can still cause damange, plus a fear agressive dog is very dangerous. Now take a muscular dog with a large head that has some fragment of fighting blood to me that is not a good scenario. Bernie is 75% Bully and I can tell you that he has never displayed agression against any dog ever in his life but I still would never trust him.

Reactions: SapphirePB

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bernie is a dream he never reacts, he cries a lot but he listens. I've had him so socialized and plus the obedience class we took reinforced proper behaviors. ON sunday we were in a room with a GSD, Lab and a crate with 4 puppies. The room was very small but he stayed seated to my left whinning and bubbling out of his mouth because he wanted to get naughty with the GSD lol

I don't think any breed is a good choice for a dog park, the problem is ignorant dog owners that do not understand body language. See let's say someone has a labrador that is insecure and fear agressive. Yea a lab may not continue fighting it's injured but the lab has a teeth and it can still cause damange, plus a fear agressive dog is very dangerous. Now take a muscular dog with a large head that has some fragment of fighting blood to me that is not a good scenario. Bernie is 75% Bully and I can tell you that he has never displayed agression against any dog ever in his life but I still would never trust him.
:goodpost: That's an excellent point. LMAO @ Bernie, lol such a good boy :)

You can avoid dog parks but how do you avoid these potential issues since you can't avoid the vet? I know what to look for but some rat ******** get their jollies from creating a situation. And this is why I have become to loathe going to the vet. The waiting room is insanely small - nothing's happened yet. But what if it does, how can I better prepare myself.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts

:goodpost::goodpost: Agree completely. I hate dog parks and that was before I ever got a Bully. Just because you might be responsible with your dog does not mean everyone is. Just not worth it IMO.

My dogs behave fairly well at the vet. They aren't allowed to socialize no matter how much they, other dogs or owners might want to. If someone keeps letting their dog do whatever I kindly ask them to please keep control of their dog. I can't stand the people that just let their dog walk around doing whatever.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
:goodpost: That's an excellent point. LMAO @ Bernie, lol such a good boy :)

You can avoid dog parks but how do you avoid these potential issues since you can't avoid the vet? I know what to look for but some rat ******** get their jollies from creating a situation. And this is why I have become to loathe going to the vet. The waiting room is insanely small - nothing's happened yet. But what if it does, how can I better prepare myself.
Do you usually go alone to the vet? Is your doggy food motivated? IS the dog reactive or vocal towards other dogs? I think the greatest mistake people make is letting the dog get in front of them. Always place your dog to your side on a sit position even if have to hold him or her there for a few minutes the dog should give up and calm down. YOu can also bait with treats to keep it your side. My wife and I are a team she goes in first and lets me know if there are any dogs in the way. If there I distract Bernie with food and move him out of the situation, the dog thing about the vet or pet store is that most owners there do not have agressive dogs for the most part so the worst thing that can happen is that your dog meets another and they sniff each other to death. However, I try to avoid the situation 90% of the times, unless it's a female then I let Bernie get a good sniff lol

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
:goodpost::goodpost: Agree completely. I hate dog parks and that was before I ever got a Bully. Just because you might be responsible with your dog does not mean everyone is. Just not worth it IMO.

My dogs behave fairly well at the vet. They aren't allowed to socialize no matter how much they, other dogs or owners might want to. If someone keeps letting their dog do whatever I kindly ask them to please keep control of their dog. I can't stand the people that just let their dog walk around doing whatever.
That's a good point. Most ppl in my area aren't 'respectful' to others I guess you can say... I guess I could also consult the Vet or one of their assistants if someone's being rude.

It's not my dogs I'm so concerned about as others with their dogs, kind of like dog parks. I had a situation when I took Lily to her first appointment. Little over 8 weeks old. Some old geeze brought in his pug, leashless. The thing stood in front of Lily, barking it's head off & the guy did nothing. Then when he finally picked the little :poop: up. He jammed his hand in her face, out of no where. Afterward Lily shoved her face inside my underarm because she was already nervous from the barking dog, being new to Sean & I, in a new place. A lot was going on in her little world. But I thought she reacted exceedingly well. Considering.

I know what that guy was doing, he was trying to get a rise out of me or my dog. Which he didn't get but is lucky to still have a hand considering how p-o'd I was:rolleyes:

Have you had anything like that happen? Based on my experience, what would you do in the future? I mean I guess in retrospect I should have walked outside, which is what I did.

Do you usually go alone to the vet? Is your doggy food motivated? IS the dog reactive or vocal towards other dogs? I think the greatest mistake people make is letting the dog get in front of them. Always place your dog to your side on a sit position even if have to hold him or her there for a few minutes the dog should give up and calm down. YOu can also bait with treats to keep it your side. My wife and I are a team she goes in first and lets me know if there are any dogs in the way. If there I distract Bernie with food and move him out of the situation, the dog thing about the vet or pet store is that most owners there do not have agressive dogs for the most part so the worst thing that can happen is that your dog meets another and they sniff each other to death. However, I try to avoid the situation 90% of the times, unless it's a female then I let Bernie get a good sniff lol
Recently no. Lily's usually on my Lap & if it's Lex. He's sitting in the seat next to me, yes he likes his own chair :). As a puppy I had no issues with him & still haven't. But we also took him to a different vet. I decided to try one closer to home my mom used to take our old dog to & that first visit - chaos >.<. I felt bad for Lil's but she was very behaved the entire time.

Treats are a great idea! Just after the aggressive little pug event, I kind of correlated that same scenario with dog parks.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts

I wish I could pick up Bernie and Carry him like baby but I would break my back lol If he was smaller I would def carry him the whole time like a lap dog at the vet's lol

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
As I told you before in another thread Lex I dont like dog parks but not just because of the breed I choose to own but because dog parks are a human socialization place instead of being about the dogs. People just go and let their dogs do whatever and hardly ever stop bad behavior cause they are too busy talking to the next guy/gal. I used to take Sarge to the dog park when he was under a year and even then I stayed in one of the fenced off areas and only allowed one or two other dogs in that he had known since he was a pup. People used to get mad at me because I would lock the gate until I was done.

I had one guy (and this is the reason I stopped going) whos GF would bring their Am Bully their all the time and I knew her and her dog and Sarge and their dog (forgot his name) would play and they were about the same age. They kind of grew up together. Well she was an extremely attentive owner as am I so we kept right on top of the two together. Her BF brought the dog one day instead of her but since I knew the dog I invited them in. The BF was pushing them toward eachother trying to get them all riled up saying "Get'em Get'em". I instantly was like WTF!!! I went off. She called me later and I told her what happened.

Dog parks are also extremely dangerous with diseases. Many people do not vaccinate and imagine Parvo in that situation. Parvo can live in the ground for up to 5 months. Imagine the outbreak EWWWWWWW!!

I do not think there is any difference from a APBT to a AM Bully to a Staffie to a Poodle to a GSD to a Shih Tzu and so on.... Dog parks are just asking for trouble... Period

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As I told you before in another thread Lex I dont like dog parks but not just because of the breed I choose to own but because dog parks are a human socialization place instead of being about the dogs. People just go and let their dogs do whatever and hardly ever stop bad behavior cause they are too busy talking to the next guy/gal. I used to take Sarge to the dog park when he was under a year and even then I stayed in one of the fenced off areas and only allowed one or two other dogs in that he had known since he was a pup. People used to get mad at me because I would lock the gate until I was done.

I had one guy (and this is the reason I stopped going) whos GF would bring their Am Bully their all the time and I knew her and her dog and Sarge and their dog (forgot his name) would play and they were about the same age. They kind of grew up together. Well she was an extremely attentive owner as am I so we kept right on top of the two together. Her BF brought the dog one day instead of her but since I knew the dog I invited them in. The BF was pushing them toward eachother trying to get them all riled up saying "Get'em Get'em". I instantly was like WTF!!! I went off. She called me later and I told her what happened.

Dog parks are also extremely dangerous with diseases. Many people do not vaccinate and imagine Parvo in that situation. Parvo can live in the ground for up to 5 months. Imagine the outbreak EWWWWWWW!!

I do not think there is any difference from a APBT to a AM Bully to a Staffie to a Poodle to a GSD to a Shih Tzu and so on.... Dog parks are just asking for trouble... Period
I understand that :D Also many others will say dog parks are great. Just not for apbt's, so that's why I asked about Am Bullies :D. You do also make good points overall about health risks, disease etc. I'm not one for dog parks - especially after bringing up the health risks.

A vets office is kind of similar ground as a dog park. Just less room & hopefully less diseases. Which is the point I was making & how owners handle their dogs/other dogs?

I'm not one to venture out & get to know others. I could careless, I'm more concerned with keeping my dog safe, watching others & their dogs. But when ppl & their dogs overstep a boundary with someone they don't even know or if your dog oversteps a boundary. How do you handle? Or do you wait for your appointment in the car?

That's kind of what I was getting at :)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Have you had anything like that happen? Based on my experience, what would you do in the future? I mean I guess in retrospect I should have walked outside, which is what I did.
I know my vet requires all dogs to be on a leash or in a crate. In your case, as soon as the dog came over barking in your pups face, I would have said something to the guy. If that didn't work, say something to the people behind the desk. If you'd rather not have a confrontation, just tell them you'll be waiting outside. I CANNOT stand people that won't control their own dogs, especially in a small space such as a vet office.

I've had similar instances myself. Usually, saying something to the owner takes care of the situation. I'm not there to make friends so I don't care if I **** them off. Control your own dog and everything is good.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts

Great point on the health aspect of it.

Bernie caught Bordetalla from the puppy class and he was done with his shots. PLuto caught tummy infection from some nasty place we went to once. I doubt an older dog will have to deal with Parvo but there is always bordatella and I do not care what any vet tells me, there is more than one strain of that virus and I don't think a vaccine will fully protect a dog against that. Then you have waterborn parasytes on the ground, left over poop from gueese or other wild animals that dogs love to eat. In general there are many disease and I also would not be surprised if owners brough their dogs with fleas or ticks without knowing as well.

The best scenario is a play date in between you and your friends dogs. Never let your puppy play with older dogs unless they live together. At this time of development they do not have all the tools of communication and some older dogs seem to be less tolerant of puppy play which can cause agression or added dominance towards the pup. When the pup suffers this mistreatment from an adult dog, it will then learn that behavior and either develop fear agression or extreme unecessary dominance. Remember always socialize with the same age while growing up, pups go through many fear impriting stages and you have to be very selective about their experience to build their confidence and stability.

I personally preffer hearding puppies as playmates. They play chase and they are all about running, not wrestling and boxing like fighting breeds.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I know my vet requires all dogs to be on a leash or in a crate. In your case, as soon as the dog came over barking in your pups face, I would have said something to the guy. If that didn't work, say something to the people behind the desk. If you'd rather not have a confrontation, just tell them you'll be waiting outside. I CANNOT stand people that won't control their own dogs, especially in a small space such as a vet office.
We have leash laws here but I guess elderly pompass pug owners are above those laws. As if the area isn't small enough they have a 75 gallon salt water tank dead center :(.

I really liked the vet lady - she was cool & understood pitties which was a ++ for me. But the staff was lacking. To say the least.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I guess I am lucky Sarge and Nikita both do really well at the vets office... I think they are more thinking about what the heck is about to them instead of the other animals hehe... They hate the vet... But when their is another dog acting a fool they both sit very proper and just whine...

I do take Sarge almost everywhere I go though and when some idiots dog is being a fool or the owner is being a fool with their dog I move out of their way and I grab Sarge by the collar until they pass... Sarge typically knows to just sit and wait and does do this but there have been a couple times that the other dog must have been talking some real trash cause he will stand up on his hind legs and bark back... That hasnt happened in a long time... Nikita is DA with almost every dog she encounters that is larger than her so I dont take her out much but when I do and we encounter another dog fool or not I grab her collar and put myself physically between her and the other dog and refocus her on me... She is still learning this but it is getting better...

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I am lucky Sarge and Nikita both do really well at the vets office... I think they are more thinking about what the heck is about to them instead of the other animals hehe... They hate the vet... But when their is another dog acting a fool they both sit very proper and just whine...

I do take Sarge almost everywhere I go though and when some idiots dog is being a fool or the owner is being a fool with their dog I move out of their way and I grab Sarge by the collar until they pass... Sarge typically knows to just sit and wait and does do this but there have been a couple times that the other dog must have been talking some real trash cause he will stand up on his hind legs and bark back... That hasnt happened in a long time... Nikita is DA with almost every dog she encounters that is larger than her so I dont take her out much but when I do and we encounter another dog fool or not I grab her collar and put myself physically between her and the other dog and refocus her on me... She is still learning this but it is getting better...
That's what I'm curious about with the vets office. All the typical DP talk is DA, I think it's cool you also think about the risk of disease too. I probably forgot if you mentioned elsewhere. It's a big forum to skim through.

I had no issues with my dogs. Just another man & his pug, which lily retreated to my underarm cause I guess that's where she felt safe. My dogs like their vet lady & give kisses at the end of each visit. Lily sat still on the scale which was awesome, cause she's a wiggle butt.

My concern is for when Lil's gets bigger, lots of great insight thus far, should a DA situation arise at the vet. Treats & refocusing. Should have named the topic a little better. But oh well.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I just went to a bully show a few weeks ago and most were DA there was even a dog fight when some guy was not paying attention to his bully. I do not think any pit bull type dog belongs at dog parks, just not a safe idea. The other side of that is, if the pit bull dog was attacked first but he pit bull finished it, who would they blame?

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I just went to a bully show a few weeks ago and most were DA there was even a dog fight when some guy was not paying attention to his bully. I do not think any pit bull type dog belongs at dog parks, just not a safe idea. The other side of that is, if the pit bull dog was attacked first but he pit bull finished it, who would they blame?
Dang! See that's why ppl need to be paying attention. So they are just as DA & yup the pitbull always gets the blame.

What do you do vet wise, if someone's dog is out of control? Or do you have a vet visit you on site? Others had some great suggestions as far as consulting the owner or staff, using treats & refocusing.

The whole dog park situation had me thinking.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I don't think any pit bull type dog belongs at a dog park period EVER. I also think dog parks are a bad idea in general for all breeds they are grounds for walking disease. Honestly there are just more controlled environments for other type of dog breeds to socialize. And well bulldogs don't need playmates.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts