Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 year old pit bull- rotwieller mix. Very friendly dog, but sometimes he seams to be terrorified of my and my wife when we go to give hima treat after his walk or feed him. He hides and when i find him he sits up and pees or rolls on his back and pees. He doesnt do it for my kids, so ihave been having them give him the treats. We adopted him and think he was abused form his original owners. Im not sure how to handle an abused dog, i dont know if im triggering something in him thats making me seem like his old owner. Should i stop giving him treats?

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
How long have you had him? Has he been checked by the vet/ blood-work and all and found to be healthy?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I wouldn't stop giving him treats.
Just work with him slowly.
Dogs are kinda similar to people and when they've been hurt then they have to regain trust.
When he rolls on his back he is being submissive to you.
I would say when you give him treats crouch down, be really quiet and don't look him in the eyes. I might even start by setting the treat down and then walking a couple feet away giving him a chance to slowly work his way towards you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input. This is our first dog and i want to make him a good dog and let him know that hes in a safe place and he will be loved not hurt anymore. We have had him for over a month now and he didnt act this scared when we first got him. I usually try to make getting a treat time a fun time. i will try and do it quietly and not look at him and see how that works. Should i make him sit and wait for the treat or put it down and walk away and when he gets to it he'll get to it? We have not taken him to the vet yet the adoption place we got him from said he was seen only a month before we got him but i will schedule an appt to see if maybe he is sick.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Are you giving him the same type of treat? Whatever he is afraid of ( if found healthy) may be able to be over come by a super good treat like some pieces of chicken or steak.

·
Registered
366 Posts
how long have you had him. you said that you take him on walks? how does he do whenever you and him are walking. does he act like a fool, or pull on the lead dragging you, or act like a dog should and heel with you.

i also know that dogs can sence your feelings\emotions and they will react accordingly. so maybe he gets a bad vibe from you or maybe you remind him of his last owner, and if infact his last owner did mistreat him he may act to you the same way he did his towards his previous owner.

i

1 - 8 of 8 Posts