Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am frustrated by the contradictory message Springfield has sent to its dog owners. While it is mandated that all pit bulls (American Staffordshire terriers , pit bull terriers , bull terriers and mixes) must be fenced or leashed and muzzled while not behind a fence, all other breeds are allowed to move about freely. Perhaps a more correct statement would be that all other breed owners are permitted to be as negligent as they please.

My comments are spawned by the fact that I, along with my Staffordshire terrier mix, were almost attacked by a neighborhood boxer tonight. The boxer was roaming around freely in the front yard with no leash and no owner in sight. Thankfully, my dog is very friendly with other dogs, so he backed away. However, if my dog didn't have an agreeable personality and something were to happen, which dog do you think would have been to blame?

It would not have mattered which dog approached and instigated the fight. It would not have mattered that the boxer was not on a leash. The only thing that would have mattered are the words "pit bull."

All breeds have the ability to be aggressive. This is why I was scared tonight when the boxer approached. I wasn't afraid of what my dog would do because he was on a leash and under control. However, I didn't know what the other dog was capable of.

Pit bulls are not the only breeds capable of doing damage. Keep your dogs, no matter the breed, on a leash or behind a fence for the sake of your neighbors and their pets.

Nicole Harrell Springfield

Dog policy unfair toward pit bulls | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
No doubt about it.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Funny, I was out walking Loki in my neighborhood and was walking across the street from a yard with a boxer behind a 3 foot fence which clearly was not meant to contain the dog as he could have jumped it no problem. I was just praying that the dog would not jump the fence to come and investigate because if anything were to have happened, Loki would have been to blame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts