Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has experienced something similar:

Watched our friend's dog Saturday and Sunday. I was really looking forward to getting a lot of playtime with my dog because they are already friends. All started out well with tons of playing.

Unfortunately the friend's dog seems to have a lot of anxiety, barks at everything, wouldn't let my dog get physically near either me or my partner. She would always have to get in between us and my dog would go and sulk off. She took his spot in the bed Saturday night. And by Sunday morning he was avoiding her completely.

He seemed to be constipated Saturday evening and then Sunday morning we tried to feed them at the same time (he is fed raw, she is fed kibble). He seemed to get really jealous at her kibble, tried to eat hers and would not touch his raw after we shooed him away from her food. Then diarrhea followed and he wouldn't eat all day, was sulking in the corner by himself wouldn't come near any of us.

He did really perk up after she left but still wouldn't eat. I finally got him to eat this morning. I did read that stress can cause all these symptoms, but never would have imagined anything this dramatic! He IS a very spoiled only child, but I thought he would be happy to have his buddy over for the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Dogs tend to prefer rigorous schedules and consistency. Imagine them all as OCD. My female is the same. Just try to remain consistent in everything he is to do. Form a routine for him. He will fall into it quickly and stop being so neurotic. You should always feed dogs seperately, especially if they aren't accustomed to sharing space with another dog. You don't want it to turn into resource guarding and fights.

As for the runny poop, remove everything from his meal but bone and that will solidify things for you, then slowly over the course of several meals start reintroducing the additional items from his meals. Unless it's BARF (all ground up) then you can strip a chicken leg and give the bone to him. Slowly reintroducing the ground things slowly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ecko Mac,

Thanks for the response! He is normally on a very rigorous and very exact schedule. So I can imagine this really threw him off. So now that the friend is gone, I'm trying to let him see that it is back to business as usual.

Thanks for touching on the runny poop! I was very curious about that as most sites tell you to give rice and boiled chicken. But I feed raw and was wondering if that is really the best course for an upset stomach when feeding raw. I gave him his normal meal this morning with the bone, meat, and organs...I hope it won't be too much for him too soon!

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
He should start feeling more comfortable pretty quick then.

If it's loose again from that, then next meal just bone.
I feed my old man PMR and when he gets cannon butt from something new, I just give him a bare chicken leg or two and it fixes him right up. Bone is the Imodium of raw feeders.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In addition to bone, Honest Kitchen makes a digestive supplement called "Perfect Form". We call it magic powder, just mix some in the next meal. It has slippery elm and fennel in it and fixes up loose stool pronto.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts