Go Pitbull Forums banner

DOGFIGHTING LETS GET IT ON!!!!!!!

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BullyTheKid 
#1 ·
BACK TO THE BULLIES

Tonight!

Dog fighting and the Preservation of the American Pit Bull Terrier!

One of the most controversial topics amongst breed enthusiasts is the topic of dog fighting. Whether you own an American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bully, or a random Pit Bull mix the issue of dog fighting is one that all owners have strong opinions on! History is always the truth, except when it's a lie, the UKC the first registry to recognize the APBT, has omitted any verbiage of dog fighting in its written standard, and some will claim that the majority of dogs in the past had other jobs, but others claim the very desirable qualities that made the APBT what it was, and what it should be are based on the blood sport!

With the historical job, long since banished, or at least illegal in the United States, are there still true American Pit Bull Terriers? Or are even the diehard game breeders really just breeding for a look? Can the true essence of the American Pit Bull Terrier be saved with the original purpose not being practiced legally? Are the positive characteristics, such as not being Human Aggressive, and having one of the most stable temperaments in the dog world, becoming less and less a breed trait that is bred for? Have genetic disorders and diseases increased, now that the breed does not perform its original purpose, and lacks a purpose?

TUNE IN TO BACK TO THE BULLIES TONIGHT, PARTICIPATE IN THE CHAT ROOM!
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!!! CALL IN AND GIVE YOUR OPINION!!

Tonight 10pm EST/ 7pm PST

Only on American Bully World

Call in Number (646)727-3340

WANT TO BE A SPECIAL GUEST ON BACK TO THE BULLIES? CONTACT OUR PRODUCER JAIME BALTIMORE AT JAIMEBALTIMORE@COMCAST.NET

See less See more
#2 ·
I was wondering why when talking about the history of the pitbull is it never mentioned that these dogs actually helped the farmers lead the bulls to the butcher. If a bull got a way the pitbull would chase after it and grab the bull and hold on until the farmer could get the bull back under control. Why is it assumed that the whole purpose of the breed was for matching them againest each other.

Yes the UKC would title dogs after they won matches.

#3 ·
I was wondering why when talking about the history of the pitbull is it never mentioned that these dogs actually helped the farmers lead the bulls to the butcher. If a bull got a way the pitbull would chase after it and grab the bull and hold on until the farmer could get the bull back under control. Why is it assumed that the whole purpose of the breed was for matching them againest each other.

Yes the UKC would title dogs after they won matches.
Great QUESTION ~!!!!!!!!!

#12 · (Edited)
Here is something I posted in response to someone who said discussing dogfighting is passe, and we should move on from the past, instead of glorifying dogfighting. This was posted on a rescue persons facebook, Dan is the owner of PitBull Positive and a supporter of our radio program.

I think the history of our breed and how it relates to the dogs of today is always worth discussing. In regards to temperment and the overall character of the breed, I personally believe it is a important discussion to have. To ignore the history and how it relates to the breed, is asking for trouble for the first time dog owner. The fact is the APBT is definitely more than its history, but to understand why the breed faces so many of its issues in todays society can be directly linked to its history and the place the family dog has today in the eyes of that very society.

To say that breed history in any sence is passe, is to ignore reality and 100 years of breeding and breed type. In regards to preservation, preserving a breed in its truest form without one of its key purposes is what will be discussed. The same as discussing any breed of dog, whose main job is now obsolete. The fact that through this sport a lot of the attributes that many people love, were bred for as a direct result. This is not a show to glorify dogfighting, but to discuss how to maintain the qualities that were a direct result through, legal and socially acceptable venues.

There is a large group of people that feel the APBT is a extinct breed, and with the death of the breed, the trustworthy temperment and overall good health is also falling to the wayside in dogs that lack the overall temperment of the breed, in not only activity but in breed type. I understand that to some, this discussion will be viewed as pointless, but I believe that in a community where breeding for looks is the norm, discussing dogs that were bred for a purpose, is a essential part in education. By no means is this show a show to encourage or glorify dog fighting, like most of our shows this is a educational tool for those who are tired of the media monster that is often created by prejudice newscasts.

Thank you Dan for seeing past your own fence and helping tackle the persistent Pit Bull Problem through education and reaching out to a community which is not your own.The prejudice that is often had for people that are within our very breed of choice is often as bias as the BSL issues we all face.

For those who listen to the show thank you, for those who pass, thank you for fighting for the breed of dog that I love.

Bully The Kid

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.