Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you know if your dog see's your small child as a dominant pack member? And how do you further assert the child's dominance. Zachary is one. So he is too young to give any commands. He's recently tried to "feed" Helena. So I think Helena is like "heck yeah this kid is giving me food" Although I have to tell Helena no to accepting food from his hand. He has held a cracker or cookie up to her, she doesn't try to take the food from him, she has tried to lick it, which I correct her. Zachary also drops food from the highchair and she does clean up patrol. Otherwise, she never attempts to take food from his hand. Zachary climbs on her and she will tolerate it or get up and walk away. Are these good signs? She really likes to give him kisses too. I never leave them alone together. And I watch them like a hawk.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Most dogs have no issues with children because they already know their place in the pack. It is up to you to enforce that Helena is the bottom of the totem pole since Zachary cannot do it for himself. Helena is a good enough girl you should have no issues. When issues pop up is when the dog already has some sense of entitlement and dominance.

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
I don't think she'll have any problem either she's a very good girl. I think it's great when the dogs will take commands from the kids. My son is 3 and we got D right after his first birthday. They have always been around each other. Now that he is talking he gives Dosia commands like sit, stay, down, and drop it. He does every one of them just as if I said it too him. They have even been practicing walking on a leash lately. it's so cute. My son will tell him, "My heel Dosia" and he will walk right next to him with out pulling and knocking him over. I love the bond that they have :)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
i have pheonix and tyson in the house and i have no issues... i have a 4 year old, 1 1/2 year old and an 8 month old.... it doesnt bother me to leave sharina alone with them... they wont even take food from her if shes tring to feed them... i have to take it from her and give it to them before they will eat it

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I have 3 girls (7,5 and 3) not once has onyx or ruby challenged them. My kids always follow higher in the pack order, onyx knowing he is the lowest. I reinforce that order daily but now my kids have also learned that order as well. My youngest girl knows not a single command but can has free reign in the house. She places down both feed bowls and can pull either bowl with my dogs knowing demitra is in control of the meal. Granted i an right there with her when this takes place

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies everyone. When Zach gets old enough to put food in bowls I will let him do that. Tonight I put a leash on Helena in the house and let Zachary hold it, and Helena followed him around. Zachary thought it was hilarious. Helena was a good sport about it.

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
She's such a sweetie and I think they will have a great bond. I think it's also really important to teach kids young about how to treat animals with kindness and respect. I've been teaching my son about being responsible with them. He so cute he'll fill their bowls and feed them and he always gives them fresh water :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts