Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pit bull Daisy worries my older dogs who dont like her she goes to them jumping around and pawing at there face and they attack her for doing it how can i make her stop. also when i am at the vet she pulls me constantly to get to other dogs to play and the vet we go to is crowded and i cant have her pulling me it annoys the other people.. What can I do.. The other dogs are a cockerspaniel mix and a papillon 13 and 7 my pit is a year and a half all are girls

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
You can do what the responsible APBT, or in your case Pitbull/Mix owner should do, because these are normal behaviors of an untrained, powerful animal. Get some obedience training with a professional trainer. The energy level of this breed is much higher than many, and what some people see as aggression is just playfulness and a desire to get tired.. At the vet,, it may seem like she wants to play but other people dont know that, and you have a Pitbull/Mix, and one day the other dog isnt going to like your Daisy pulling to get at them and it'll spark a problem THAT YOU will be the one to be blamed. Trust.

And I hope you dont leave your 3 dogs unattended together.. That could end badly for the older dogs....

Reactions: redog

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Not to mention you have three bitches in one household so same sex aggression can play a part in that. Plus your pit is still a pup and is highly energetic so some good exercise will help her out tremendously. Are all your bitches spayed? Also, like stated above by HJ I hope your dogs aren't left unattended when your not home. People have trusted their dogs together and have come home to dead or injured ones so beware ;)

Reactions: redog

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Spay her, never leave her alone with ANY of your other dogs, spend additional time exercising and working her to where she is worn out more often than energetic. Even though you have a mix, sometimes its best to go at it with training as a purebred as mixes of the breed can develop DA and have some drive to finish what they started.. Often depending on the genetic foundation but also just depends on what breed she more takes after with not only appearance, rather, mentally and ability..

Since you are so keen in believing you have an "APBT" anyway, you need to invest in a break stick and learn how to properly use one, begin to crate and rotate as well if you have not already adopted this. By not being over prepared you are setting yourself up for the real potential of a dead dog.. Whether its from your yard or not..

Socializing takes place in the puppy years, while technically she is still considered a pup she is old enough now where socializing should be a thing of the past.. She should remain confident under any new scenario.. With that said, playing together is not socializing as they are not one of the same.. These dogs do NOT need "doggy friends", they thrive on being heavily exercised, worked if there is strong potential and above all.. Human interaction daily.

Training your mix is going to be the best thing you can do, just very basic commands such as sit, stay, heel, focus, leave it is all you really need to control most common situations.. Since you do have a mutt, its not really NEEDED to go further unless you really just want to.. Which is great, but again just speaking what NEEDS to happen.. Loss of control = loss of your ability to keep your dog safe... Or in this case, anyone else dog as well.

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i cant take her to classes because they dont do independent and she wont stay focused im working on training her myself

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
she isnt a mix. she is purebred
Guess thats why you started three different threads asking about what she is and giving us all we need to know.. You don't know what the sire is, you didn't get any form of paperwork and based on the other essential information its easily put together as you got her from someone just breeding to breed.. Not to advance the breed or preserve..

ANYWAY.. Glad to hear she is spayed, there are trainers out there (in abundance) that will train 1 on 1 or even come to your home for private training.. If you give the name of your city i'm sure someone will take the time to find you trainers near by OR you can simply go to a search engine and do so yourself.. Most trainers will advertise online as its easier to bring in new clients, not all do but most.. If not ask around, i can assure you that theres at least one decent trainer out there close enough to work with you.. Preferably one with experience in American Pit Bull Terriers and mixes of such, but doesn't HAVE to be so long as they are well educated and knowledgable.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she is out side in a kennel when were not home and i do know what the sire was ive seen his pedigree im just not sure about the name bloodlines such as colby or anything

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
It does not matter if the dog is purebred or not.That is a whole other convo.What matters is that you do not have control of your dog.
The first thing you need to do is not let her play with the other dogs anymore.If it were me I wouldn't let them play at all anymore before it turns into a real fight.
You need to gain control of the situation.You're the master,not the dog.You need to start strict obed training.Teach all the basics first and go from there.Teach the basics before you bring in outside attractions.If she doesn't master the basics by herself and you together then you can't expect her to get it when there are other things around her.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
You can hire a trainer to come to your house as I did since my pup is also DA. The trainer came to my house every week until she thought we needed to work on what she said, then I would work every day and call her when I was ready to continue on. This wont happen overnight and you will need to work on it daily to try and correct the behavior. Once you get to the point of being able to distract your pup from what he is looking to go after you can then worry about group training. Just find a reputable behaviorist or trainer who fits what you are trying to do. Took me a few months and 10 trainers interviewed to find the one I liked.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i cant take her to classes because they dont do independent and she wont stay focused im working on training her myself
In a multi dog class, the trainer can assist you in getting your dog to focus.
It's worth a shot, it sounds like your pup just needs to learn how to =behave around other dogs.

·
Good with tools
9,786 Posts
no doubt you dont have a clue except for what others are telling you. all these issues you are posting about shows the inexperienced owner that you actually are. these are the things that are the demise of this breed. get with the program and quit worrying about what you have and step up and be the strong leader that your dog requires. stop setting your dog up to fail......

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im not setting her up to fail thats the who reason im here to get help i wouldnt be here but i got banned from pbc fb page for no reason

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
also she isnt DA its just her wanting to play
Your dog is still young. If you do not know what to look for DA can LOOK like playing but as soon as they mature or run into a dog that doesn't like your dogs HORRIBLE dog manners, it would be on. (your dogs bad manners you described above, pulling lunging at other dogs, wanting to sniff them without waiting to see if the other dog is receptive. until you learn what signs to look for, DO NOT let your dog meet any new dogs unless you know the owners. Tell your vet you need a room by yourself and they will schedule you early or late without other dogs if they can.

Not getting your dog to be able to focus on you and will only look at the "prey" that's prey drive and you can bet money that it will be escalating into Dog Aggression if you do not do something about it now, like getting a trainer into your home so you can learn how to control it and quickly.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
our vet doesnt see patients until after 130 pm to 530 and he is crowded with about 10 other people at a time. he's the cheapest vet in town and he accepts walk in's so

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my dog isnt da all she does is sniff jump around and paw at the other dog... the other dogs snap at her and she just turns around and leaves them alone. I used to let her play of leash with my neighbors male german shepherd but she stopped coming to me so now i only take her to petsmart to socialize and the local park. Im waiting to arrange a play date for my pit and my cousins 10 month old yellow lab in her friends fenced in back yard they have the exact thing HYPERACTIVE i have already found out that the lab isnt DA either i figured it would be good for them to play and release energy supervised of course

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
my dog isnt da all she does is sniff jump around and paw at the other dog... the other dogs snap at her and she just turns around and leaves them alone. I used to let her play of leash with my neighbors male german shepherd but she stopped coming to me so now i only take her to petsmart to socialize and the local park. Im waiting to arrange a play date for my pit and my cousins 10 month old yellow lab in her friends fenced in back yard they have the exact thing HYPERACTIVE i have already found out that the lab isnt DA either i figured it would be good for them to play and release energy supervised of course
I do not think you are reading. As I explained above that is aggression, NOT always play. Socialization isn't being with other anmails, there is no need for play dates and for god's sake STAY AWAY FROM DOG PARKS!!!! I do not think you understand what owning a pit bull type dog is all about. PLEASE take time to read through the thousands of threads on these issues. and please understand that the cheapest way might not be the right solution, like your vet with limited hours. I feel like you are just trying to disagree and not actually listen and learn how others have experienced your troubles. Getting kind of old.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts