Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those viewing this for the first time, I'm an assistant dog trainer for the local animal shelter, I help the "problem" dogs become more adoptable. Like the dog I'll be posting in this first post, he's been at the shelter for awhile and has developed behaviors due to being in the environment so long.

I'll be posting pictures of each of the dogs I work with.

I took out a young pup named Spartan, poor guy's been here since the beginning of February. Not a surprise that he's becoming easily excited and very mouthy, so I did a lot of work on lowering excited responses. Run a few steps stop, mark before he can jump, run a few steps ask for a sit, mark, repeat. At first he was using me to launch himself into the air, but by the end he stopped totally. I also rewarded him a lot for me petting him without him getting mouthy. So, a slight tug on his jowl, mark, reward. He improved a lot from one session, was extremely polite on the leash when I brought him back into the kennels. Automatically sitting when I ran across the room, and sat and watched intently as I messed with his face. If folks would just look past his pent up energy from the kennels, but that's not common. :(

I'm sitting, you gonna throw it or not?

He likes to entertain himself

Here's a picture back from early February from when I first took him out.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
He is so cute!!! I don't understand how dogs like that are sitting around in shelters when people go out and buy unpapered dogs everyday .. I hope he finds a good home

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
EXACTLY.. SO MANY PEOPLE BUY BYB DOGS WITH NO OR NON LEGIT PAPERS... JUST GO TO THE SHELTER AN ADOPT A GOOD ONE~

:goodpost:ing!!! Good lookin pup, try to find him a country home or home with a guy who needs to replace his heeler .. I see a good good worker.. Keep up the good work!

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is a good little guy, worked with him again today. He's going through the bratty teenager stage, but he'd make such an awesome, easy dog once he gets older. Maybe a good dog to introduce someone to sports, he will keep going and has a lot of play/toy drive but is also easy to handle and settles nicely.

It bugs me, folks feel the need to go out to BYBs for dogs just for companions, yet there are millions, literally, of perfectly capable companions in the shelter. Just here we've got tons of cattle dogs, German Shepherds, bulldogs, Pit Bull-type dogs, etc. Animals that look (key word, "look") purebred come through all the time. Just had a Schipperke come through in fact.

A lot of the folks who live out in the country here, ranchers, farmers, are some of the ones dropping off the dogs. Mostly the cattle dogs, they can't handle 'em so they drop them off here. Not saying that as a sweeping generalization, saying that as someone who knows most of them and recognizes a lot of the cattle dogs that come through. They get herding dogs then piss and whine when they chase their cattle when they're not home. They need a job, they're not just going to lay on your porch all day. :(
Plus, they breed just about anything for a few bucks. It's part of the reason why it's difficult as heck to find any good Dachshunds up here, most are ruined temperament and body wise.

I'm not big on little dogs, just stuff I've heard through the workin' folk looking for badger dogs.

There are nice workin' folk around here, they're just harder to find. Only reason I know them is because of my uncle, he used to be big into bear hunting. Treeing Walker Hounds and Blueticks being the favorites.

But for the most part they're "if it works, it's bred" sort, never see any of their dogs at the shelter.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He got adopted!!! :woof::woof:

Hopefully I'll have more pictures Friday, this is my week off but I'll be going to an outreach and helping out.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
Congrats, very good news!

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
That's awesome news! So glad he found a forever home. Congrats to you for your hard work.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
thats awesome! im so happy he found a home, he looks like a real happy dog that deserves a good home. cant wait for pictures :)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys!

At the outreach 3 were adopted! :woof: A little Rat Terrierish dog named Pippin, Zane (those two were adopted before I got there, which means within an hour from starting), and Molly whom you'll see later. :D
A picture of Zane from when I took him out back in the beginning of March

This is a gal I wanted to take out a week or so ago, but on the day I set to take her out she got adopted, her name was Gretchen at the time. But she was returned for lack of training ( :confused: Shelter dogs are prepackaged ) and now called "Sugar". They have her as around 1 year and 8 months, very nice gal, I like her a lot. She's reactive to other dogs, (like really excited reactive, she tested good with other dogs) and jumps up a lot. But I started working with her and she had improved greatly just from that day. She needs a home that'll keep her busy and work with her.

What do y'all think? German Shepherd/Australian Kelpie?

Toots was full of pent up energy so one of the volunteer ran her a few laps, she was pooped. lol This is a gal I took out back at the beginning of March and took pictures of for Pet of the Week. Nice little pup, very well focused, eager to work, she's been here since around the beginning of February.

Molly, nice easy going 5 year old, they have her as a Beagle mix but I'm not really seeing it. (mainly due to her build)

Little Toots, her coat has gotten pretty bad, she shook and dandruff flew everywhere. She needs some good food :/

Gretchen... er Sugar being a good girl. We were working on settling because she was just so exciting about all the new things. She seems to potentially be a bit reactive to loud cars/motorbikes (we were behind the table so I couldn't tell for sure), but she was "OMG what was that?! Can I chase it?!".

Doing pretty damn good considering she was barking at dogs that were across the parking lot when I first took her out. I had to take her behind the adoptions trailer and cool her jets before we could come out again. Used a modified LAT game. (Just no prep training or cue adding)

"You talkin' about me?"

Cienna (Not sure on the spelling, pronounced "cee-en-uh"), nice little pup, they have her as a shepherd mix. She's so darn tiny, and slender! Almost reminds me of a lurcher pup I saw at a show, but I don't dare guess since she's still a pup. Folks were callin' he a jack russel/shepherd though.

Cienna playing with another girl named Piper, Piper is a small Lab mix (best guess, her papers say Pit Bull mix, I guess I could see pit/lab), very sweet, gentle, and a bit timid. She had the softest paw smack I've ever seen when playing with the pup lol it was cute. When I had her out you'd barely know she was there if you were paying attention, very well mannered.
She was scared of the camera though or else I'd have gotten close ups.

One last shot of Sugar, a friend wanted a structure picture, not the best but it works.

And I know there's no way to know a dog's mix without papers, if it were a perfect world I'd just tell people that but the general public isn't satisfied by it. -_-
No harm in throwin' out guesses either.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
so happy that Spartan got adopted! Makes all your hard work worth it :) I could not imagine being cooped up so long, poor pups! Molly looks so sad in her picture, very sweet by sad eyes. sweet girl. Gretchen looks adorable, love the face on her!!

Reactions: Celestial88

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
awesome pics. i really like how Sugar looks. her structure reminds me of my co-workers husky pup she just brought in. who knows tho, shes a pretty mutt :D

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Molly did have a sad face, but she was really sweet. She'd make a good movie character.

Molly's adopters were thrilled and absolutely adored her, I think she's going to be lovin' life pretty soon. :)

I didn't see Gretchen or Cienna, but they could've been moved because I didn't check all the kennels. I'll have to ask when I go in Thursday.

I was able to talk to the captain of animal control and she okay'd me to take out this girl. She has a higher rating, due to my age and legal issues I generally can't take out the higher ranking ones without getting the okay.

I initially didn't pay her much heed, I figured, GSD, looks purebred, she won't be here long. It's been over 2 weeks now probably longer. I have no clue why, she's an awesome girl. A little ADD but other than that very sweet, responsive, looooves her toys. She tested to have a strong prey drive so listed for a home without cats.

When I was doing start up and stop (run away, click and reward before they jump to reinforce no jumping) she was doing really good, focused, all of a sudden she got a bug up her butt and starting zooming laps around the class room and chasing her tail. lol

Her name is Bella :)

What?

What's that weird sound you keep making?

Low quality, but it shows her happy dorkiness.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We've had state testing these past two weeks, which is why there's been a lack of pictures. I was out an outreach last weekend, totally forgot to share the pictures. I'll get some tomorrow at another outreach too :)

Bella, Cienna, and Toots got adopted! :D
Dunkin is... well.. a terrierist.. full terrierist. She ( I know.. odd name for a girl) is a awesome little dog with lots of energy. Looks like a Patterdale to me, whatcha guys think?

I mentioned Pippin in the post about the last outreach, well he was returned... guy said he couldn't keep him contained.. Crate? ... I guess not.
He's a chill little guy, very friendly, he doesn't fit his name at all. (For those familiar with the LotR character.)

Piper playing with Connor, she's getting more confident each day! Still not a fan of the camera, but she was doing much better as an overall.

Here's a nice picture of her from their Facebook page. (They have a magic squeaker named Lloyd, he works very hard to get the dogs' attention.)

My favorite gal, someone was looking into adopting her and I pray they don't. Had a Cattle dog with too much energy so they kennel 'em all the time. Thankfully others agreed so they're makin' sure everything is thoroughly checked. (sometimes they'll budge on things for folks who show they can be responsible.)

She's so dorky in her pet of the week picture. lol (from their site)

This poor little pup was so scared I had to carry him out, I believe he's around 7 months old. Little Scotch started to come out of his skin and got more comfortable as the day went on. He just needs a gentle hand and more exposure.

Last but not least, Connor, cool lookin' dude. Looks like a pug mixed with some sort of Spitz breed, he even has a bit of a mane.
A man was looking into him right before we left and was going to come in the next day the shelter was open to adopt him. And I don't see him on the site so I think it went well! :D

Sorry they're a bit lower quality, I didn't edit them other than cropping nor did I take many pictures.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Molly did have a sad face, but she was really sweet. She'd make a good movie character.

Molly's adopters were thrilled and absolutely adored her, I think she's going to be lovin' life pretty soon. :)

I didn't see Gretchen or Cienna, but they could've been moved because I didn't check all the kennels. I'll have to ask when I go in Thursday.

I was able to talk to the captain of animal control and she okay'd me to take out this girl. She has a higher rating, due to my age and legal issues I generally can't take out the higher ranking ones without getting the okay.

I initially didn't pay her much heed, I figured, GSD, looks purebred, she won't be here long. It's been over 2 weeks now probably longer. I have no clue why, she's an awesome girl. A little ADD but other than that very sweet, responsive, looooves her toys. She tested to have a strong prey drive so listed for a home without cats.

When I was doing start up and stop (run away, click and reward before they jump to reinforce no jumping) she was doing really good, focused, all of a sudden she got a bug up her butt and starting zooming laps around the class room and chasing her tail. lol

Her name is Bella :)

What?

What's that weird sound you keep making?

Low quality, but it shows her happy dorkiness.
OMG I LOVE HER !!! =[ I wish I was in Cali

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bella's a awesome girl indeed, so happy she found a home.

Okay, so I finally got these uploaded. We had another adoption outreach this weekend at the Whole Earth and Watershed Festival, it was a lot of fun. We were right next to a huge fountain, lots of different cultures and such.

Gretchen(Sugar) got adopted! :D We told them that she would likely have a lot of energy, is a loud mouth, and they still took her on. I was a bit worried at first because they had cats, but they called yesterday and said they're extremely happy with her.

Scotch got adopted as well! Pippin got adopted again, after being returned for "kept getting out" he was returned again for not having enough energy. Poor guy's havin' bad luck.

Dunkin got adopted as well.

Little Pippin, such a cool little guy.

This girl, Hope, got adopted early that day before I could take her out.

Little Scotch, glad he found a home.

Piper and Scotch chillin' in the shade

Daisy, she seemed like a really chill sweet little gal in her kennel/crate... but we'll talk about her later.

This boy wasn't so cooperative as far as looking at the camera, but this is Scooter.

Sugar going home with her new family

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took 3 dogs out for Pet of the Week pictures, and was allowed to take them out in the yard instead of the usual bench.

Scooter actually posed today, took several minutes of waiting for the right moment to whip out the weird noises. He's a very nice, easy going, well mannered boy, but we couldn't find one thing that motivated him in the slightest. So he's not a dog to expect to come running back to you if you let him off leash. lol

This is Lucy, older girl, when I saw a old greying fat Black Lab I thought she was going to be chill... uhm no. She has insane food motivation, if she sees your hand go near the pouch she starts to do a silent bark and hold-like bounce. I thought she was thinking I was grabbing a ball at first so I grabbed one. Didn't even look at it when I threw it.
She's got a lot of go still.

Slobber to show a taste of the extent of her excitement.

And little Daisy, my goodness. When I first took her out she was doing the zoom around you, jump and try to nip, zoom, jump and try to nip. So we started working on some stuff, got her to start following me and become aware of me while off leash. (Suddenly turning direction and rewarding her for following.)
The trainer came out and we did some recall from across the yard to tire her. She walked nicely back after that, well focused, offered a sit at all the doors, just needs exercise. Without it she's a terrierist. I took her out the next day too and she got to play with the other trainer's dog, wore her out well.

Ball doesn't mean fetch. Ball = zoomies.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
awwww they are all so cute :) bella is super sweet in that nose picture lol. Looks like you and the dogs had a good time :)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's kitten season at the shelter, or coming into it.

Everyone was out at an outreach today, so after searching through the kennels I couldn't find a dog I could take out. I was going to take out a Shepherd/Pit Bull looking boy named Finnegan, but he was on meds for kennel cough. I took one more lap around and spotted this guy. He's been here since the 26th of last month, about 1 year, no name. Rated for kids 5 & up (which is awesome for a large boisterous puppy).

I ended up naming him Kovu, he's a awesome dog. He seems to have been heavily reinforced for jumping and other demanding behaviors. But he improved so much after this first session. He's wants to work with you, he wants to interact with you, he's very aware of your presence, but not in a clingy way. Seeks out human attention, focused, motivated, started to catch onto shaping quickly, confident, overall a nice boy.
Happy boy too

Apparently I wanted my leash

Ames, is it just me or does he remind me of a slender, lankier Mel?

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lucy got adopted, Piper was adopted by the volunteer with the sun glasses.

This boy got returned today, reason wasn't listed. I'm not worried about him finding a home, handsome dog, adopted once so he'll be a green card.

Some shaping, he's done very well.

A tired dog is a happy dog.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, I'm trying to sponsor Kovu's adoption fee. I got $40 that I'm going to put towards it, the total is $135. So the $40 will bring it down to $95.
It'll push the shelter to neuter and vaccinate him, making him a green card, which makes him bridgeable for pet of the week, and be able to go home the same day he's adopted.
Paypal would be great, my email is [email protected]

1 - 20 of 51 Posts