Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article I thought. Makes sense though, when I don't have Gargamel "look" at me before I tell him what I want, he doesn't react as quick. But he could just be acting like a punk, lol Also, confirms dogs can watch TV, always thought they could but some have argued to me that they can't.

By Deborah Kotz, Globe Staff

A new study confirms what dog owners already know: dogs are people, too -- or at least they exhibit some very human traits. The researchers found that dogs, like infants, direct their gaze more intently on a person who's addressing them and trying to communicate with them.

In the experiment published today in the journal Current Biology, the dogs were shown a video of a woman who used communication cues babies recognize -- making eye contact by looking directly into the camera and using a high-pitched tone in greeting -- before she turned to look at a plastic pot; the dogs were then shown a video in which the woman didn't look at them and greeted them in a low-pitched voice before turning to the plastic pot.

The Hungarian researchers found that the dogs were more likely to follow the woman's gaze to look at the pot when she used communication cues beforehand than when she didn't.

Dog owners take advantage of the fact that their pets can be trained to respond to directional signals like sit, stand, or come, but the new research, if confirmed by other studies, indicates that dogs can detect more subtle communication signals like pitch and eye contact. Like 6-month-old babies, they appear to comprehend when there are attempts being made to get their attention and will respond by directing their focus at that person -- even if they can't understand the language being expressed.

"Our findings reveal that dogs are receptive to human communication in a manner that was previously attributed only to humans," study author Jozsef Topal, a researcher at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, said in a statement. "Dogs, as well as human infants, are sensitive to cues that signal communicative intent."

ScienceDirect - Current Biology : Dogs' Gaze Following Is Tuned to Human Communicative Signals

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG SHANON that's so freaking cute! and so funny!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
LOL! I couldn't believe she did it for as long as she did. That was actually the second time she watched it because I noticed her take interest in the dog on TV and ran and got my phone to record her. I actually rewound the story and she watched it again which is how I got her on video LOL! So all in all she watched it for 2 minutes! She's a goof :D

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I would say dogs are WAY ahead of babies in the reading of subtle communication cues department. They (dogs) have survived/adapted/thrived for thousands of years by figuring out what we want and how we are feeling and what we want from them/how they can get what they want. Consummate professionals at this, they are. You can't fool them like you can a baby, either. Ask anyone who competes with dogs how hard it is to hide ring jitters from a dog. You can't. It's in your smell, it's in VERY subtle changes in your mannerisms that you are unaware of.
Cute vid! Digital TV has opened up a whole new world for dogs and tv. The old analog signals actually projected a series of 'frames' (still pictures) to make up the moving picture we saw on television (like those cartoons you can make yourself by drawing on paper, each one the next step in the movement, fan them and you get movement, animation. The problem with analog tv (for dogs) is that they have a higher 'flicker' rate than people do (flicker rate is the amount of time the eye refreshes the data being sent to the brain) thus they saw the blank spots in between frames that were imperceptible to people. Pretty annoying, I would imagine.... much like this post

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha didn't even think of digital vs analog. Derrrr thanks kingsgurl!! I agree about it's being higher than 6 months intelligent maybe they are rounding down for the less than average pups out there lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts