Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum n I'm trying to figure out what's the dose for a 65 pound 10 month

old pit using safe guard horse paste? Please help I know I should of got the cattle one but all my feed stores around me just have the horse paste kind.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I would not use the safe guard as it is too easy to overdose the dogs. I know someone on another forum who used the safe guard, got the dose a little wrong, and killed 2 of his dogs and multiple others almost died. There are other good wormers like Ivermectin you can get from the feed store, I will never recommend safe guard because of that, I know some people use it without problems but there are other great wormers you can use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply I didn't know that. I was told it was one of the safest dewormers out there. Someone told me about valbazen is that a good safe dewormer? The guy that told me said he uses it every other month n gives ivomec on the first of every month n on the month he doesn't give valbazen he gives pyrantal paramoate sorry if its miss spelled. Is that a good worming program? I have a large kennel n want a good year around program. He also said he's been using that program for 10 years. He seems very knowledgeable on what he's talking about.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Ivermectin can be given monthly for heart worms and most other worms besides tape worms. It is safe and effective for round, hook, whip, but not tapes.

Dosage
The recommended dosage of cattle Ivermectin for dogs to prevent heartworm is .0015 milligrams to .003 milligrams per pound of body weight once a month. To treat and prevent skin parasites, such as fleas, ticks and mange, give your dog .15 milligrams per pound of body weight, then repeat the dosage in 14 days. If you are treating for gastrointestinal parasites such as round worms, the dosage is .2 milligrams per pound of body weight

Read more: Cattle Ivermectin for Dogs | eHow.com Cattle Ivermectin for Dogs | eHow.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts