Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking ahead because after all my dog is a dog and much as I would love for him to have human access to everything in the world ....reality is reality.

so he is 7.5 mos old.....say perhaps at 1.5 yrs of age or 2 .... i decide to get another APBT.... mind you Samson is not fixed nor will he ever (I will not alter him for any reason other than his health) ..... would i fix a female? ..... idk maybe...idk....

so what choices do i have? another unnaltered male would be like 2 stix of dynamite? an unaltered female would mean puppies and that is like being a grampa by my 16 year old son.....people WILL DIE!!! ....

so fixed female....or unaltered male..... no choice right??? uhmm.....

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Simple.... Crate and rotate.... You don't have to fix the female either if you are responsible and can keep them apart while she is in heat. Unless you are an experienced owner then you don't need 2 unaltered males in the house. I always crate and rotate when there is another male or female dog in my house and Kangol is fixed. Well, my brother's Golden Retriever is an exception because Kangol doesn't pay her any mind whatsoever because they grew up together. They don't even steal toys from each other anymore in their old ages. Anyway, you can have 2 unaltered dogs in your house if you are truly a responsible owner, but I find crating and rotating is the safest route.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i dont wanna do that .....i dont like him being in a crate, ....i have a spare bedroom so his room is his crate in a sense....when i need eff off time i send him to his room and he gets it.

i have my hang ups , and maybe its ignorance but i cant change who i am .... i think a fixed female would be my sort of more feasible route....

let me ask u guys this....

when u fix a male they ?????? (cuz my friend Kim has a chihuahua...so she rescued him, and we are hanging out at her pad the other night and i see he has an empty scrotum.... so im like wtf...shes like he s fixed!! ..... " I'll say " ....no crap he s fixed now!! i assumed that

male fixed = vasectomy
female fixed = tied tubes

am i wrong? skool me plz

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
well why is it OK to cut up a female but not a male? The male is way less involved and takes a far less toll on the body than a spay and much faster recovery time. You need to keep them separated for 6 weeks 2 times a year, so a crate is kinda the only option if you don't alter one of them. They can't be together at ALL when in the bitch is in heat. So it looks like the best option would be to alter one of them. But even if altered you make have to create and rotate. There is never a guarantee they would not fight and should never be left alone. Best I have heard is altered male and altered female having the best luck, but its case by case with that, since DA can pop off at ANY time.

They leave the sack because cutting out a bunch of skin would make a huge unnecessary incision. They just cut right below the shaft and pop out the goods and stitch it right back up with a few stitches. That's why you get neuticles if the skin bothers you, lol. Neuticles.com

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
Registered
274 Posts
Lol. I was just going to suggest neuticles!

But seriously. Keeping to unaltered dogs is hectic. Firstly, in my case- my male would go into depression cos he was kept seperate from my female. He would also get whiny and sort of out of it as he could smell her and instincts just kick in. Secondly, he would just stop eating for a period of 2 to 3 days during her peak. Oh and don't even get me started on the destruction of property in the midst of all this insanity! They would both claw, dig and bite their way trying to get to each other.

IMO, if you don't want to have to put your dogs through all this at least twice a year, you will either have to alter or stick with one dog.
I understand to alter is a big and rather uncomfortable decision for most, but unless the female doesn't meet breed specifications (as in my case) I would suggest altering your male. There are many upsides that I have read about such as: the male not being as dominant or territorial. Apparently the males are also less likely to become aggressive as the testosterone levels are lowered.

In the end its your decision to make and I know you'll make the right one for you. Personally, I have a dwarf husky by genetic fault- so I'll be spaying her rather than my pure bred male pit. (She got the short end of the stick).

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
I can understand why you contemplating not fixing them and it is a tough decision....but rememer what you said...the dog is a dog. We can love our animals is if they were one of us because infact...they are a member of our family. However, don't set them up for failure. Altering either the male or female or crate and rotate is only you being a responsible owner.

Personally, I would alter the male and female. If you only alter the female there is a big chance that the male will still go in for a sniff and the female WILL NOT be having any of it (I speak from experience).

Altering the male might tone him down just a bit. And the female is a no brainer...unless you want to clean that mess up lol

So don't humanize the dog to where you think fixing them and crating and rotating is bad...its really not. Unless its for working purposes...I would fix em...just my 2 cents :)

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Rodrigo, I am in the same boat as you my friend. Not sure if I will be getting another bulldog breed or a GSD in time but it will be a male because I already have a bitch. Right now Bella is intact but has an app in March to be spayed seeing as how I am not showing her or breeding her she will be better off. Plus she is depressed when she is in heat and just acts different LOL! If your dogs are PETS only then their is no reason not to fix them. You men compare your kahuna's to the dogs to much and you all shouldn't do that because it's best for the dog. However, if you feel the need to leave your boy alone then the best thing for you to do is to get a female and have her spayed while she is young and before her first heat. Having a bitch go into heat every six months with an intact male in your home won't be fun because he will do his best to get to her. Chances are a male/female household will be the best choice when it comes to owning any breeds of dogs. And your right, two intact males once they mature are like two sticks of dynamite together and you would have to live the crate and rotate lifestyle. You may have to still crate and rotate a female and male (when you aren't there to supervise) but all in all the chances are better they will get along. I had two neutered males back in the day that got along great together for many years with no issues. BUT one was a GSD and the other was a pit/lab mix.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
The male surgery is way less evasive. We're contemplating another one as well and are going back and forth on it. The hard part is that you lose some of that special bond you have with only having one dog. When my old dog was 2 we decided to add another and it definitely changed our relationship. Those little special things we used to do weren't there. The new dog took up the old dogs time and bonding moments with us. It's hard to explain, but that's why we may not get another. It's hard to explain, but she related to us less.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
The male surgery is way less evasive. We're contemplating another one as well and are going back and forth on it. The hard part is that you lose some of that special bond you have with only having one dog. When my old dog was 2 we decided to add another and it definitely changed our relationship. Those little special things we used to do weren't there. The new dog took up the old dogs time and bonding moments with us. It's hard to explain, but that's why we may not get another. It's hard to explain, but she related to us less.
:goodpost: I can totally relate to that and see where you are coming from. Bella comes with me everywhere and loves the car. She is also my workout buddy and the only one that can keep up with me lol! I would hate to break such a special bond with her. However, I do want a male to do things with like schutzhund, search and rescue, and maybe even agility but that's down the road and I still have alot to think about before I take the plunge ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
That's what I worry about as well. I figure Mel is with me do much, anytime I'm not working and sometimes he comes in with me to work. Having to free and rotte isn't something I want to do at this time. Maybe one day but I would hate to see it effect my boy at all.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
if you get a female... wait till after her first heat if you are going to fix her.. i left Daisy intact until i got Dre.. he threw her back into heat only 3 months after her last one..

i also agree w/ fishinrob.. me and Daisy had a nice little bond.. then i got Dre and it hasnt been the same because you need to give all the dogs attention.. now Diesel is the attention hog, Dre gets inbetween to steal the attention and Daisy lays by herself.. :( .. i feel like our bond is no more

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
If your not willing to do whats needed to ensure the safety and unwanted/unexpected litter, don't get another dog.. Simple as that. Crate and rotate is the ONLY option to ensure proper containment of either if they are both going to be "inside" dogs. Apparently you've never experienced first hand what a determined male is like when a female is in heat.. I've seen doors broken down in attempts to get to the bitch. Why would you risk it for your own liking? Dogs are den animals and it is VERY easy to crate train and have them willing and wanting to be in their crates for the time that is needed so long as you introduce the crate method properly.. The only thing holding you back since you "dont like it" is your mind wanting to humanize the dog.

Two unaltered males, again.. Why bother getting another dog if your not going to ensure the safety? VERY rarely will two unaltered males get along, generally with any breed that has dominance run to some degree or another this is a bad idea.. Two bulldogs? Might as well be begging for shit to happen. Of course, there are exceptions but EVERYONE thinks they are the exception or feeding the exception until the shit hits the fan then bitch and moan about how they raised them better..

Of course, accidents DO happen and owning two dogs that even just have APBT some where recent in their gene pool.. You will eventually make an honest mistake and have an accidental yard fight.. Happens to everyone but if your not willing to take every single precaution than you will end up with a dead dog due to it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
If your against crating I would say dont get a 2nd dog period. Reason for this is even if you get a female there is no guarantee they wont have DA towards eachother either, sure having male and female gives you better odds but no gaurantee. I know females who hate other dogs period regardless of sex. I also know people who have kept a dog locked in a room thinking it was just as safe as a crate only to come home to a huge hole chewed through there door or wall { seen it with my own eyes with my aunts lab x collie} so crateing will be the only safe option. I have 3 males none which can be together and we work it out just fine. Between the yard, dog runs, crates and the house rarely is anyone in a crate longer then an hour at a time and usually they are sleeping when in it.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Pretty much have to agree with KM and angel on this, mate. Crate and rotate or secure chain spots no matter the sex or if they're altered/unaltered.

It's really not fair to either dog to expect them to get along alone unsupervised and KM is 100% right about dogs chewing through doors (and all kinds of things) to get at a female in season.

The "oops" litter issue aside, a lot of male dogs get VERY upset at the mere fact that an in season female is even in the same house and can go days without eating or sleeping properly.

The DA issue is another reason to keep them secured and like angel says there is no guarantee that a female will get along any better with your dog than a male.

To be completely honest, I'd prefer a one dog house but my wife wanted a dog for her. That being the case, we now take all the necessary precautions.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
screw it , im buying a rat and at the end of each month i'll strap a 12 oz steak to its back and let him loose...... depending on outcome we go with a hamster or keep the rat and do it again next month.

i was just asking....im not getting one anytime soon...but i like to make important decisions correctly and objectively.

and i understand 100% about the loss of bond, ..... im learning as i go along.....never had such a connection with an animal before and i humanize him too much i am sure.

ugh ...long day . wish i had a jacuzzi :(

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
We aren't saying that they wont get along for sure you never know you may be lucky enough to never have an issue. Just if you chose to add another in the future just prepare for the worst so you aren't stressed and in a rush if something does happen down the line.
LOL @ the rat though , make sure you video that LMAO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts