Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always taught my dogs to “drop it” when I want them to release something they have in their mouths.

I‘ve recently got a flirt pole, and both my dogs enjoy playing with it. I’ve read somewhere (I read a LOT, and don’t always remember where I read something), that I should tell my dog “out” when they’ve caught the end of the flirt pole and I want them to let it go.

My question is whether teaching the “out” command is better for certain situations, different from when I tell them “drop it”.

Or if “drop it” works for whenever I want them to let go of/spit out whatever they have in their mouth, and I don’t need to teach the “out” command.

If the different commands are for different situations, please explain why and when.

I‘m not being lazy, I’ll teach my dogs to do whatever, I just want to be smart about how I train them.

·
Administrator
5,664 Posts
I use the flirt pole often Reesha. My command is "Drop it". I use the same command if I want the toy, stick or bone in their mouth. Just stick to whatever command you choose so that they learn it. That is one of the first basic commands I teach them.

Joe

·
Administrator
4,835 Posts
I used out for Ecko when doing tug work and drop it when he picked things up he should have. With Geach I just use drop it since that's what he learned first. Torc I use hand it to make it easier on my knees.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies! I will stick with drop it. Even the puppy knows what that means since I say it a million times a day lol. He is constantly putting stuff in his mouth that he shouldn’t, especially when we are outside. Fortunately, he’s pretty good about spitting it out when I tell him to drop it.

Since I think you all like pictures, in appreciation for your help, here’s my 2 goofballs.
Dog Carnivore Fawn Liver Whiskers

I don’t know how to make the picture not be so big. I’m sorry!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use "out" as a bit more than drop it. I can tell my dog "out" when he's playing with the flirt pole, tug, or with another dog. I can "out" him from a tough game of wrestle with other dogs when he's getting too excited or "out" him from something he's guarding. He never responded to "drop it" but will respond to "leave" when I need him to not have something in his mouth.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think it sounds like drop it works for you and no need to change it. Out for me also has a bit of a "back off it so I can grab it" context, but out is definitely my drop it. I think the only advantage of out is how quick and easy it is to say, but the difference is minor and not worth changing the command.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts