Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard somewhere that adding a few drops of apple cider vinegar in your dogs water can prevent the fleas to jump on her...don't know if it has any scientific proof to that?

we have treated our yard with sevin dust, but she's still getting fleas bites, she HATES adam's spray and it's not good to bathe her everyday..so I try to look for some natural ways to prevent fleas...

any suggestions?

·
Banned
666 Posts
I know you said natural but honestly I've found the drops on the neck to work best. Treat your yard with a product from somewhere like The Home Depot. Then if you don't have visitor dogs or take yours a lot of places the cycle gets broken and I have went for months on end afterwards with no drops on the neck products. There are hundreds of old remedies and I've tried a lot of them only to find they just don't work as well.

Lime, mint, china berry limbs, rosemary, all sorts of plants that are suppose to work.
Avon skin so soft, bathing in Dawn dish liquid, garlic in food, some I know I've forgotten.

·
Banned
666 Posts
You'll need these essential oils (don't buy the most expensive...)
I got mine from a natural food store.
NOTE: Do NOT use on CATS

Cedarwood
Pine
Eucalyptus
Citronella
Sage
Rosemary
Sweet Orange
Tea Tree
Peppermint

Put 4-5 drops in 16 ounces of water, shake well and pour into a fine misting spray bottle.

If using it on your dog, just spritz on and rub it in a bit - cover legs, britches, belly, then body and head - AVOID the eyes.

I wipe it on their heads with my hand or a paper towel.

You can spray on bedding and in the car.

Smells nice.

Spray it on your clothes - I mist it all over me before going on our morning and evening walks.

•2 drops of cedarwood, lemongrass, rose geranium
•1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
•1 teaspoon vodka
•1 cup of dried peppermint, eucalyptus, bay leaf herbs
•1- 2 cups of water

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you said natural but honestly I've found the drops on the neck to work best. Treat your yard with a product from somewhere like The Home Depot. Then if you don't have visitor dogs or take yours a lot of places the cycle gets broken and I have went for months on end afterwards with no drops on the neck products. There are hundreds of old remedies and I've tried a lot of them only to find they just don't work as well.

Lime, mint, china berry limbs, rosemary, all sorts of plants that are suppose to work.
Avon skin so soft, bathing in Dawn dish liquid, garlic in food, some I know I've forgotten.
thanks! my husband put sevin dust out there in the yard last week, I assume it's gonna take awhile to kill all the fleas. and i agree with what you said about old remedies, i tried garlics but only to get the bad tooting smell...:(

a friend gave me a free bottle of skin so soft last year because i always attract mosquitoes myself, but it didn't work :( maybe I'll get some to try on my dog.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll need these essential oils (don't buy the most expensive...)
I got mine from a natural food store.
NOTE: Do NOT use on CATS

Cedarwood
Pine
Eucalyptus
Citronella
Sage
Rosemary
Sweet Orange
Tea Tree
Peppermint

Put 4-5 drops in 16 ounces of water, shake well and pour into a fine misting spray bottle.

If using it on your dog, just spritz on and rub it in a bit - cover legs, britches, belly, then body and head - AVOID the eyes.

I wipe it on their heads with my hand or a paper towel.

You can spray on bedding and in the car.

Smells nice.

Spray it on your clothes - I mist it all over me before going on our morning and evening walks.

•2 drops of cedarwood, lemongrass, rose geranium
•1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
•1 teaspoon vodka
•1 cup of dried peppermint, eucalyptus, bay leaf herbs
•1- 2 cups of water
i noticed these are two different recipes? which one would work better?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mentioned in another post that you were trying the vinegar thing, keep me posted on how that works for you.
well, it's been two days since i found one single flea on her. there are still some fleas in the yard but they don't get on her any more.
i guess this ACV really works!! but i heard that different dogs react differently to ACV, so you'll need to try on ur dog to see if that will work for her/him!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts