Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone can give me some names of some good affordable dry food and a list of bad food I feed a food called 4 health but I might have to get something a little more affordable because I only get a 30lbs for 33 buck any help thank you all

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
good foods I know of { prices range from high end to the lower}
orijen
TOTW
Acana
kirkland

those are the only ones I would consider feeding my dogs personally although I have heard some other names that people on here like , such as blue buffalo only reason I wont use them is the number of recals they have had in the last year and a half , and I have heard mixed reviews from people using it.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
If you want a fairly decent quality your not going to get much more affordable that what your already feeding unless you want to drop quality. Another thing you have to consider is though price of 1 bag of food may be higher than what your currently feeding, the bag will also last longer therefore in the long run you will end up saving money or at very least no difference.

Heres a prime example, i used to feed TOTW Wetlands with both my dogs. 1 bag would last 2 weeks, i switched them several months ago to Orijen 6 Fish/Regional Red. 1 bag of either/or will last me 3 - 3 1/2 weeks.

1 bag of TOTW - $44
1 bag of Orijen - $80

More than double however i calculated that in 1 year i am roughly saving $30 feeding Orijen vs TOTW.

If you want something better quality but still close to your price range..
Taste Of The Wild
Canidae
Natures Variety

If you want something cheaper:
Diamond Naturals

Though personally i don't care for Diamond due to the cheap ingredients they put in their food and you will end up feeding ALOT more than what your feeding now to get the same intake to keep the weight on. Oh and if you do go that route, like all cheap foods, he will be pooping ALOT

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I was always told canidae is crap , there is a food analyzer on this site if you use the search its been posted in many threads it states some good foods and some bad on the list of ones already graded. and shows you how to grade your food if it isnt on the list.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
I was always told canidae is crap , there is a food analyzer on this site if you use the search its been posted in many threads it states some good foods and some bad on the list of ones already graded. and shows you how to grade your food if it isnt on the list.
Theres a HUGE problem with the point system and that is it just doesnt work. With the point system some horrible foods are rated the same as mid grade grain free foods and so on. Who decided how many point to take off per item listed? Who decided to add points? The point system just isnt logical.

dogfoodanalysis.com is an excellent independent website that goes in detail why foods are ranked high, low, etc. It goes off a 6 star rating system. Of course there are others out there as well but that one seems to be the most honest and accurate that i have seen.

As for Canidae it isn't horrible food if you go with the Canidae Sky products, regular Canidae is crap. Its the same concept of BB and Blue Wilderness, Diamond and Diamond Naturals, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just switched from Wellness Super 5 large breed puppy to TOTW Prairie. Wellness was costing me around $60 for 30lbs and TOTW runs $39-$43 depending on where I go. From everything I've read the TOTW is a little better. But I'm also a believer in watching how your dog to really know if it's the right food for that dog.

Do as much research as you can and then make you choice.

Good Luck,
Chris

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Per our health guru Deb (geisthexe):
NON GRAIN FOODS
* Orijen
* ZiWi Peak
* Taste of the Wild
* Blue Buffalo Wilderness

NO CORN - WHEAT - SOY FOODS
* Blue Buffalo
* Diamond Naturals

And all the CORN WHEAT SOY FILLER FOODS are just junk food for dogs.
The top foods are high priced but GREAT diets. The next Row are GOOD dog foods w/o having the junk food fillers in them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts