Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am green as they come to the show ring. I have a duel registered AST on the way. I would like some opions from you all. Is it wrong for me to show in UKC shows. I would really like to hear from Performance Kennels and Chavez. Thank you all ahead of time..

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
"Wrong" just depends on your viewpoint. I personally don't like dual-registering AmStaffs as Pit Bulls -- its a b*tch to take in a standard APBT and lose to an AmStaff -- but with your "newbieness" you need to be experiencing both sides, so go for it. UKC is the only way you'll be able to try out weight pull and some of the other sports, and your only chance at getting a Total Dog award and things like that.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I will be getting a Dual AST soon too and I will not be showing in the UKC ring for Conformation as I do not think it is right to show AST's and APBT's together. Chavez pits will disagree and I think he has dual dogs that show both. I cannot speak for him but I think he has dual reg the AST and APBT that show in both rings. The breed standards for both are different and that is why I think the UKC really messed up reg dual dogs. It is really hard to finish a true APBT in the UKC ring.

My dog who is almost finished in the ADBA, with a BIS win in the ADBA
17.75" and 36lbs

An amstaff

Do they look like the belong in the same conformation ring?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Dual register AKC/UKC or dual register UKC/ADBA? because I agree with Lisa that UKC/ADBA you won't get anywhere with an AmStaff in the ADBA...they keep the true gamebred look.

205 Posts
I personally think it is fine to show in all three registries. The UKC and ADBA allow you to register and show your amstaffs with them as APBTS. There is nothing wrong with it. You can gain a lot of experience in the UKC ring, since the shows are very owner/handler friendly. More so than AKC.
There have been several amstaffs finished with ADBA and UKC. I had 85 ADBA points on my amstaff female, and she was a also a UKC champion, and had AKC points. However, we only have one ADBA show a year here, and I won't travel for conformation shows. Speaking of amstaffs at ADBA shows; Last year I took my Buffy female AST and she won first place under Hank greenwood, 3rd under Rocca, out of like 10 females in the class. My male creature also got a first in the puppy class with good competition. Plus, have you ever hear of ADBA GRCH thunder dreamer(AST)? If I put as much time into strictly showing as I do into the working stuff, I am sure I would have some/several triple champions.
An amstaff bred correctly, should be able to finish in all 3 registries, if you are willing to condition them, and travel to shows.
So, Chaos, I would say go for it. The last dog I seen that was a true gamebred dog showing in UKC, was about 14 years ago, and it was a Heinzle dog named Pirate, I think. So, it's not like you are taking wins away from "true" pit bulls. I like Larsan dogs, Tufftown, ect and the other UKC show bred dogs, but they are so far away from "pit"bulls, they are like UKC amstaffs anyway.
I think it was a good idea for you to get a AKC amstaff for the showring. As I see people paying tons of money for UKC only dogs, that are amstaff crosses anyway, when they could of got a dual registered amstaff, out of dual champions, health tested for the same money, or less.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely want to do wieght pull. Will I be
causing static at wieght pull even if I dont
show in conformation. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I don't see why you would be. I mean its not like you can go take your AmStaff and pull AKC, because they don't offer it. You can, however, pull with groups like the IWPA, APA, UPF, and so on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had a Dual registered dog who was a champion in both registries.Enjoy your dog, have fun,and don't worry too much about anyone's opinion. All dogs deserve love ,and all dog owners deserve to enjoy what ever venue they choose to partake in with their best friend!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see why you would be. I mean its not like you can go take your AmStaff and pull AKC, because they don't offer it. You can, however, pull with groups like the IWPA, APA, UPF, and so on.
thanks just got through looking over all three sites. He will be about 14 months old when the 2010/2011 UPF season starts.So I am probaly getting a little ahead of myself since he is not even here yet. Just very excited.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts