Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna get my dogs ears cropped,im looking to see if neone knows of a vet in washington state that would crop my 1 year olds ears.i know alot of people are gonna disapprove cause of the age but like anything else its a surgery and he will recover.let me know if you know of anyone that will do this.thanks

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
It's not about recovery from the surgery. It's because usually the cartilage in the ear is already set by then, so your dog's ears won't stand right.

Honestly, it'd be a waste of your money at this point, because there's definitely no guarantee your dog's ears will stand right, even with lots of taping.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't know of any vet anywhere that will crop after 16 weeks of age... With that said even if you do find one the ears will not stand most likely because as Kate said the cartilage is already set meaning the ears have taken their permanent shape... If you look at his/her current ear build there is a definite place where they bend and flop that will always be there so if you crop they will still bend and flop at that point and just be shorter...

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
If you look at his/her current ear build there is a definite place where they bend and flop that will always be there so if you crop they will still bend and flop at that point and just be shorter...
The best way to see that point is when they're sleeping and/or have relaxed ear carriage.

My boy Kane is a year old and I wouldn't crop his ears this late because 1) he is too goofy to have a "serious" look and 2) because the point where his ears flop over is practically level with his head, so I'd have to get a battle crop or whichever level crop is the next step up and cross my fingers for the best.

It'll be more expensive to do it this late because the aftercare increases and the (two) vets I know of that even think about cropping this late charge extra for added risk.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I know a vet just across the border that will at that age , but like everyone said you will be in for alot more work taping alot longer and no guarantee it will stand, at that age if you still choose to crop the chorter the crop the better outcome you will possibly have.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Ah, I am all for cropped ears, but I honestly think 1 is too old to have a dog cropped. I would just leave them as they are.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The after care is extremely time consuming and if you do not keep up with your dog could get a nasty infection. I've seen so many botched jobs. Any reputable vet would not do it at that age.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
While we're on this subject does anyone know if a vet would do a litter for a set price, or as individual? I know it probably depends on the doc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts