Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum, but been reading a lot even before I got the pup...

Pup is now 9 weeks old and got his 5 in 1 Distemper vaccine.

On Friday 1-13-12 took him to get his ears cropped and was worried that his ears will not stand up.

Done some research and getting some mixed opinions/instructions for taping the ears.

Its not been 3-4 days after the cropping and only 1 ear is kind of sticking up. I've been feeding him the antibiotics daily on a timely schedule.

My questions is will his right ear be standing up if I leave it alone since its still a fresh cut and a little swollen? Or should I do something about it right now?

Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
wait till the stitches are out and healed , if they dont stand then there is a thread on here that shows how to tape them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wait till the stitches are out and healed , if they dont stand then there is a thread on here that shows how to tape them.
I mean if I wait until the stitches are out, would that be too late to fix since it is already healing like that already?

Or It can still be fixed after stitches are out?

I mean judging from you experienced fellas, you think his right ear will stand on its own after the swelling goes away a little bit?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
you have to tape most likely thats how they get fixed and you cant tape until the stitches are out. You dont get them re cut you tape them.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
some ears stand right away, but others require a few weeks (or more) of taping to get them there. You CANNOT tape them until the stitches are removed, but you CAN use mole foam to give that ear extra support, and get it on the right track from the start. This page shows you how to use the molefoam. MAKE SURE you do not cover any stitches with it!!!
No Tape Ear Standing Method - mole foam

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some ears stand right away, but others require a few weeks (or more) of taping to get them there. You CANNOT tape them until the stitches are removed, but you CAN use mole foam to give that ear extra support, and get it on the right track from the start. This page shows you how to use the molefoam. MAKE SURE you do not cover any stitches with it!!!
No Tape Ear Standing Method - mole foam
Yea I read that already also, and I tried looking for that in cvs and they didn't have the molefoam... anywhere else I can get it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, just noticed that his left ear split open a little bit, what should I do? put peroxide? Please help!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
walmart, pharmacys , grocery stores. Its with the insoles for shoes and the foot supply stuff like powders and such , atleast it is here.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its called mole skin here.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
you can use a vitamin e cream or poly sporin , but id check with your vet 1st. Our 1st gurl we used poly with our others it was a diff vet and he wanted nothing on them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so no peroxide or anything?

Also when it split for your first girl, after it healed was there scars or it came out perfect?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Contact the vet that did the crop, he may want to take a look at it. Please don't use peroxide, it will kill off a lot of the newly forming tissue. There are going to be scars, do you mean is it going to be more noticeable? Like on most really good crops, the scarring is so uniform it looks very smooth and even and on some crops it's uneven and choppy?
Cute pup, good luck

·
Registered
816 Posts
more pics please.

i swear the last pic the lack of shadows almost makes your beautiful pup look like a bull terrier.

he s a cutie.!!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
just making sure where you said its splitting a stitch hasnt come out or anything has it?

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
This method will get the ears up, and you need to fix them right away before the ears starts healing itself.

Get the mole skin (dr scholz foot padding), cut out triangles the size of the ear. You are then going to glue them with nail glue or krazy glue(it safe ive done it on my three dogs), your going to glue them to the back side of the ear.

When you put it down hold it firmly for about 30 seconds to insure it stuck. Next on the triangle point, the top of the ear. Get a needle with some fish string(recommended), or a strong string of sometype. Your going to bridge the molds together, and itll bring the ears up together.

i didnt find this one at walmart, but they had little small ones. Heres a picture for reference.

The string between the ears is suppose to be straight(tension), but my dog was able to stand his ears up since he was young.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
I sent you another pic, check your inbox.

You only use peroxide once, and thats at the very beginning to clean the wound.

To clean the crop you can use alcohol, but it stings them a bit. You also want to clean inside, and around the ear to insure killing bacteria around the cut.

Neosporin works wonders, and makes the whole healing process faster.

You also want to do the cleaning every other day. Your dog will begin to be disobedient or even get scared of you because the cleaning process hurts them.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I wouldnt use alcohol that would hurt plus alcohol can dry out the area causeing more cracking. You usually dont have to put anything on the ears just keep them clean and let them heal. A bit of poly wouldnt hurt but Id ask your vet before anything just to make sure.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
My dogs are outside all the time, so i have to clean them and get the gunk/debris out, but if the dog could be crated, i would say the neosporin would be sufficient.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts