Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female (momma dog) seems to get ear infections alot, i dont know how cause i always clean her ears once&twice a week. We take her to the vet and they always give the same antibotics called Panolog Ointment. Wouldnt you think that would make it not come back for a while? Its a smell you cant stand when she gets her ear infections

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
You can purchase Zymox over the counter and some pet stores and online. It can be used as a preventative as well as a treatment. I use it on Ecko, he gets chronic ear infections due to allergies.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
That works too Angel, but made Ecko smell like salad dressing for weeks. LOL!
Vet introduced me to Zymox and my local pet shop sells it and other products by them. No smell.
If you can stand the smell of the vinegar, I totally recomend that way. It worked for Ecko when money was tight for us.
So, I can attest to both working, although the Triple Play as I like to call it is MUCH cheaper.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks ima have to try it

·
Registered
901 Posts
I swear by Zymox. I keep it on hand at all times. My boy doesn't show signs of an ear infection (shaking head or pawing at it) so I flip them up every so often and when they are red a few squirts and it is gone.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
A daily dose of Benadryl may help w/ the infections, if they are due to allergies. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would suggest Zymox as well -- specifically the Enzymatic Ear Solution. It does not cause irritation and is super effective. Works to treat bacterial, fungal and yeast infections. Great for dogs like mine that are sensitive to antibiotics. Plus you only have to use it once a day. My dog really HATES anything going into her ears -- so the once a day application is ideal!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Forgot to mention...to reduce ear infections you may want to also look at your dog's current diet. My girl has experienced chronic yeast infections (and bacterial infections) ever since she was a puppy. Getting her on a restricted venison and potato diet has helped to reduce her ear and skin infections significantly. I really wish I had known from day 1 to put her on a restricted diet -- I would have saved tons of money at the vet on antibiotics and prescription ear treatments, etc.

Of course, we go to the vet for her regular check-ups and shots. But at this point, I don't remember the last time I actually had to buy an antibiotic or prescription ear drops from the vet. The proper diet really helped to do the trick.

In addition, I give her a probiotic supplement to help her body maintain a good balance of healthy bacteria and help boost her overall immunity and we use the Zymox line of products for her personal care -- bathing, ear care, cuts, etc. The enzymatic ear solution will really nip an ear issue in the bud. Apart from the Zymox enzymatic ear solution, I also have the shampoo, conditioner and topical spray. By the way, if you use one of the topical products like the spray and your dog happens to lick her coat or any area where the product has been applied, you don't have to worry about her getting sick because it's non-toxic. Plus Zymox includes lots of vitamins and natural enzymes that are gentle and actually good for the skin and coat. Sorry for the lengthy post!!! Discovering the right mix of food, products, etc for my pit has made a huge difference in her life as well as mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts