Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine got a pit but decided to give it away, i've never had one of this before so I was just wondering. She is 2 1/2 moths old and her ears were already cut, my vet told me this should be done untill 3 moths. So I just wanted to ask what could go wrong? When she gets older will its look different?
The cut is looks pretty good, but im afraid her ears keep growing and that nice looking cut she has turns uglyer.
Sorry for my bad english and thanks for your help and advice

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
As long as the vet that did the crop knew what they were doing everything should be ok. I believe they usually just wait so it is safer for them to be under anesthetic.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I think 8 weeks - 16 weeks is when they can be done, at least in my state. Some Vets can do it later, depending on where you are located. The ear cartilage gets thicker the older they grow, so they heal better when they have less ear cartilage already formed.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
There's always a certain vet's preference of when is the best time to crop ears. I've always heard its best to do between 12 and 16 weeks. You get a better idea of how the dog's head will mature and that lets a truly skilled vet help you choose a good crop to fit the head.

When exactly was your dog's done? do you know?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
it is fine as long as a vet did it. My vet starts doing ears at 9 weeks in age.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We had a puppy come in last night that was 5 weeks old when the breeder had the ears cropped in a very short crop, it looked kinda like a battle crop. Seemed a little young to me.

As an aside, this guy told me that the pup was Colby/Watchdog, and that he has an application for UKC registration. The pup was stinkin' adorable.....but it was blue and white. He was VERY adamant that it was an apbt, too; he told me on the phone specifically. Just curious, is Watchdog a bully line? She looked like a bully to me. (sorry bout the thread jack)

·
Registered
82 Posts
If I remember right we had Mr. Two's done at 12 weeks per the Dr. He did a longer crop so he could grow into them (refused to do a battle crop). Not sure if he will grow into them, but the Dr. did a great job and I respect only wanting to do show crops.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
We had a puppy come in last night that was 5 weeks old when the breeder had the ears cropped in a very short crop, it looked kinda like a battle crop. Seemed a little young to me.

As an aside, this guy told me that the pup was Colby/Watchdog, and that he has an application for UKC registration. The pup was stinkin' adorable.....but it was blue and white. He was VERY adamant that it was an apbt, too; he told me on the phone specifically. Just curious, is Watchdog a bully line? She looked like a bully to me. (sorry bout the thread jack)
Watchdog can go either way. I've seen some very nice UKC style dogs that were heavy watchdog, but then agin I've also seen some of them in Bully peds as well. Its really just a guessing game until you see how the ped is put together.

Reactions: =CC=

·
Registered
114 Posts
Watchdog can go either way. I've seen some very nice UKC style dogs that were heavy watchdog, but then agin I've also seen some of them in Bully peds as well. Its really just a guessing game until you see how the ped is put together.
Thanks. The fact that she's blue really threw me off, especially when he threw Colby out at me.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
It depends what strain of Watchdog it comes from Chaos which is a Watchdog cross line has went from performance dog to bully. This is an example. About the only Watchdog strain still being bred that isn't bully is some Sasselli's Grapevine blood or TNT blood. I will add both of these that are still not bully can become bully depending on what they are bred to. If you take it to old game blood it will stay with the APBT style. Breeding it to UKC style dogs that have AKC builds will most likely throw an Amstaff Build. Breeding to Bully will come out Bully. etc, etc. To most people Watchdog is your classic APBT/Amstaff combo.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
It depends what strain of Watchdog it comes from Chaos which is a Watchdog cross line has went from performance dog to bully. This is an example. About the only Watchdog strain still being bred that isn't bully is some Sasselli's Grapevine blood or TNT blood. I will add both of these that are still not bully can become bully depending on what they are bred to. If you take it to old game blood it will stay with the APBT style. Breeding it to UKC style dogs that have AKC builds will most likely throw an Amstaff Build. Breeding to Bully will come out Bully. etc, etc. To most people Watchdog is your classic APBT/Amstaff combo.
:goodpost:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts