Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am thinking I need to have some professional training for my dogs and I know this is the best place to ask for a referral. My price range is around 500$. I am not really sure what different types of training offer though? I'm clueless...and also how does a pet get their cgc? Thank you :D

I already viewed this link http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/35852-cgc-training.html and it was very helpful. I just am uncertain if there is an age requirement and if my dogs need papers to complete it? Thank you :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh...and I'm in the Phoenix, Az area if that helps...I realize I will most likely have to travel for decent training as this is not the best part of the state.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
The phoenix area has some great trainers and I have a ton of friends out there who do Obedience and Agility. I travel there a few times a year for agility and UKC shows. I sent out a PM in face book and I am waiting for them to get back to me, I will get the name of some trainers out there that are good.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you :D I really appreciate the help! With training do pets leave for weeks or a weekend or is it daily?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
No you would take your dog to training class once a week and work with your dog till the next class. You can send your dog to a trainer to be trained but that is really expensive. There might be some trainers there that do that and it can range from 200-3000 a week depending on what you want done. I run a boot camp program and I charge 350 a week as the starting price. You are better off with taking your dog yourself to training classes.

I just got this from my friends who live in Phoenix they recommend Joe Fain and her number is 602-741-3056. Try her and if she cannot help you for what ever reason she can point you in the right direction.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Just to add, I personaly dislike sending a dog off to be trained and getting the dog back. In my opinion you should be there, learning with the dog, learning how to handle certain things, what to do, what not to do.

And, you wouldn't know if they were doing something with your dog that you disliked either.

I don't know any trainers off the top of my head in that area, just dog behavior consultants.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Sending dog off has it's place. Sometimes a problem is too much for the owner to handle or the owner is the problem. It is easier for a trainer to correct these problems then show the owner how to maintain the training. I think if you are sending them off because you are too lazy to train that is not good. If you have issues your do not have the time or experience to get what you want then sending them to training can be beneficial. I do get clients who want me to train their dogs but I suggest just doing training sessions with the owner because it is in the best interest of the dog.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would prefer the once a week method as I don't like to be away from my babies and I enjoy learning about how to train them. The interaction and being able to learn alongside my dogs would be more beneficial for me... I think that way I can reinforce the training at home and feel like I had a part in it to some extent.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I was looking for her club and I found it! Try Amber Abbot first she has trained a few Staffordshire bull terriers and I personally know her and she is great. She mostly does agility but may be able to help you and at least get you in the right direction. I have known her for years and she is a good trainer.

LEAPS N BOUNDS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts