Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eep! I took Zildjian on about a mile walk. Just a stroll really, its 86 and its breezy but, hes panting HARDDD ! It freaked me out so I got on here asap.

Hes laying on the tile floor, still panting though.

was that too much for him?

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Is 86 hot where you live? It's been over 100 here everyday nearly two weeks. Helena once seemed to have heat exhaustion, we made sure she had some water, and then we let her lay under a fan and even put a damp towel over her back. She was fine after that.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
his panting isn't as hard. but, today is cool but humid cause of the little rain we got. I'm in baton rouge. Its been 98 + lately here too, but since it was "cool" i figured I could let him out longer then the 20 mins a day like 4 times a day to let him potty. cause I don't have a fenced yard where i just moved too and he has to be on a lonnnng chain.

well, the damp towel freaked him out, so I layed it on the floor under a fan and hes half way-ish laying on it.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Anytime I have had a dog show any signs of distress from heat I spray them down with the hose. Its good to cool off there feet and whole body for that matter ;)

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
his panting isn't as hard. but, today is cool but humid cause of the little rain we got. I'm in baton rouge. Its been 98 + lately here too, but since it was "cool" i figured I could let him out longer then the 20 mins a day like 4 times a day to let him potty. cause I don't have a fenced yard where i just moved too and he has to be on a lonnnng chain.

well, the damp towel freaked him out, so I layed it on the floor under a fan and hes half way-ish laying on it.
That is good, here is a link I found.

Heat-Related Illnesses

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He didn't puke. but, a min ago after drinking water he puked up water. like he drank it to fast. no other signs though. he isn't panting anymore and hes laying infront of the fan.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
It says cool water not cold water. I guess I did the wrong thing by using a towel, it says heat can't escape that way. It says a cool wash rag on the stomach is fine. Does his body feel hot? I would be careful about the water. Give your vet a call and ask them what you should do if you are still concerned. They might give you some advice over the phone.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
86 aint :poop: .. it hits 106+ here.. my dogs are fine

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It gets about 110 here as well. but, I don't like to have z out and about cause its so darn hot. I usually play at night since its in the mid 70's to mid 80's out so he gets his exercize in. but, like i said since it was cool-ish so we went for a walk. I feel bad he is inside 70% of the day. but, hes fine now. being goofy butt self and following me all over the house. :)

i am just a overly worried mom i guess.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I keep a kiddie pool filled on my deck. After working out, she lays in it to cool off. She can't chase the flirt pole as long on humid, hot days, but I've learned to gauge her responses and know when to end play. I also substitute chasing the water from the hose instead of flirting and she can last longer. When I see her 100% effort look not up too par, I stop and she runs to her pool and lays down.
I work her until she is panting heavy every day. This allows me to recognize when she's had enough. I would not do the long walks away from water or AC/fan for exercise because if you're a mile away from home it can be too late to get treatment fast. I made that mistake once and almost lost my dog. Now I stay close to home in the summer, or walks are by a lake or river with plenty of cool off stops.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I am with Bella, I just say "Hose" and Gargamel heads to the backyard and sticks his butt out for me to spray lol. Based on the other things I have read posted here the key is to go for his belly. Easier to cool him off quicker. I have him roll over so I can spray his belly down. Cold water is not good for small dogs, it could cause shock, but for bigger dogs its OK.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the record: I always have a water bowl and two bottles of water when I walk Z.

He's good. Just got overly worried. He's sprawled out on the bed as we speak watchin' tv.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Rags can and WILL work if used appropriately.

Kane suffered from heat stroke recently where he almost died and the vet gave him a bath in cool water as well as cool, wet towels around his head and neck.

Here is the link to the thread of the incident. Sadie posted some great tips to follow and I think it'd be good for you to read through it so you can keep an eye on Zildjian in the future.

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/37695-kane-almost-died-today.html

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ugh, made me cry. Thank you for posting that. <3
Means alot to everyone I'm sure. And alot to myself and Z.
He's nearly 5 years old. I have no idea what I'd do w/o him.
I'll be sure to only walk him just before dark or early morning.
Thanks again EVERYONE!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts