Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I thought it should be that time to finally get my Dog Crash fixed since he seemed to be done growing and all now so I took him in last Monday.

The surgery went fine and so did everything else but when they did a blood test they found he had Ehrlichia. I got some good reads on it but it was still kinda vague so I wanted to see if any other APBT owners could share some personal experience with this disease.

I have him on Doxy and they claim it will cause it to go dormant and any symptoms will go away and not increase.

Is this true?

I believe it will go dormant but I am just worried that he will eventually get arthritis and or have some liver problems. Both are problems that may occur and I tried really hard to give my dog the right diets and proper conditioning to avoid all these things and expensive vet bills in the future.

Also the symptoms I have now noticed are lose of appetite, lethargy ( more so laziness ), and anxiety and I was wondering if anyone had any good natural remedies for these symptoms. My vet is out till Monday and I just hope to get a jump on it from people that have dealt with this like I said. Plus, I would like to go natural if I could rather then a script that may just have its own side effects ultimately anyway.

I noticed the loss of appetite in the fall but it hasn't become a issue till just recently and thought it might be do to changes in the season ( day/night cycle ). I had also noticed the anxiety last fall but thought it was simply do to him maturing and just a side effect of a frustrated sex drive. He was typically good around other dogs while on the leash but he know gets manic but in a friendly way. Same goes for people. He does not get flighty-like anxiety but just over stimulated in a happier way. He used to love car rides but now he again gets a bit manic and goes nuts when he sees someone walking like as if they should come to see him.

To me all this is natural in his stage of life ( 16 months ) but I feel do to his issue with Ehrlichia it is exaggerated by the Ehrlichia cause it really only started around the same time we estimated he must of been infected.

Anyway, any help on a natural remedy for the anxiety and loss of appetite would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I assume you are talking about ehrlichiosis the tick disease. Mikado had this several years ago. I had him on antibotics not sure which ones too many years ago and the vet I use doesnt use the same stuff as most vets he is old fashion. It was a few years later that my boy came down with kidney disease and the vet said it could have been a side effect of the tick disease. I had him a holistic kidney fortifier tea. I gave him the tea leave in yogurt every morning. It did slow down the disease and I had Mikado for another year.
While he is on the meds I would give him organic yogurt with atleast 7live cultures with the meds. Also do you have a good health food store? I would stop in and talk to them about what you could do to help speed up the recovery.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, ehrlichiosis.

It was a few years later that my boy came down with kidney disease and the vet said it could have been a side effect of the tick disease.
I am scared about the meds doing just as much damage in the long term but its supposed to only be a 90 day treatment. Do you remember the duration of time for the treatment by chance? If you had him on a 90 day and he was dong well for years to come I would be confident it was not caused by the meds and wouldn't be so worried myself.

While he is on the meds I would give him organic yogurt with atleast 7live cultures with the meds.
Do you mean a yogurt fortified with 7 different types of live cultures? I'm a bit confused, sorry!

I just have this gut feeling that they kinda buttered it up for me and made it sound better than what it really is.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Do you mean a yogurt fortified with 7 different types of live cultures? I'm a bit confused, sorry!

I just have this gut feeling that they kinda buttered it up for me and made it sound better than what it really is.

Thanks for sharing!
I buy the stoneyfield organic plain yogurt for my girl. And yes, a yogurt that has 7 types of live cultures. You need the good bacteria in the yogurt to offset the meds.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I buy the stoneyfield organic plain yogurt for my girl. And yes, a yogurt that has 7 types of live cultures. You need the good bacteria in the yogurt to offset the meds.
Thanks! I know of the benefits of yogurt but never thought of using it to balance out negative effects of meds.

Thanks for that tid bit guys!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Yes that is what I meant. Sorry I was tping this without having any coffee waiting for the store to open.

Yogurt is a great product to use to help keep the balance in the stomach when your dog is on medication.

No Mikado was not on meds for 90days. I believe he was only on it for 15days. I did catch the disease in the very early stages tho and that probably made a differance. i wish I could remember what the vet gave him. I know he got 2 injections before we left the clinic that day.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Its said to be at a level one which isn't severe and I was told to stay away from the injections.

This sucks cause the a-hole HOA wont allow us to build a fence but I think thats personal. Other people have and they just keep rejecting all the plans I give them for approval. Now cause of this he has lots of fun in a pretty secluded patch of woods. I know its present now and I cant take any risks and I wouldn't want the disease to spread through non infected ticks that might bite and fall off.

He is on flea and tick treatment but no matter what you do I guess you still have a open window for a opportunity to allow the animals to get infected anyway.

They need to design a flat out deterrent to stop ticks from even biting.

Had Mikado shown any of the side effects like anxiety, depression, and loss of appetite?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
It is hard to say what actually brought on by the tick disease and what was caused by his heart disease. My Mikado was not a healthy dog at all. I do recall that he would for times with out eating. I had him on raw for the last three years of his life. He always had SA. From the time I brought him ome from the shelter. You couldnt leave Mikado alone and not either have a tons of drool in the kennel or a door partly chewed up that was Mikado tho. You can search for him pictures on here and he never looked the happiest always a bit sad in his pictures who know he could have been having the time of his life though.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats sad. Sorry to bring it up.

Crash slobbers a lot when he gets really excited and stimulated more than any APBT I have seen. Since he is more of a game like build I thought maybe it was a part of Molossoid deep in his ancestry.

who know he could have been having the time of his life though.
Today 05:15 PM
Could have. I like to think most pits like to look pitiful just for the fun of being called cute.

All in all I am getting the feeling that I have to just really keep up on his immunity and not allow it to be compromised. It looks as if that's when the disease comes out of dormancy and wreaks havoc and can multiply from what I have read. Not that I dont already but that kind of just makes me reassured he could be good for a very long time to come.

I cant find this yogurt with at least 7 cultures though unless I have a misunderstanding. I dont even like yogurt so what would I know but all the labels at the grocery store only list two cultures.

Im still looking for tips on his anxiety so I can take him out in public again without him craving attention from everyone and everything.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Thats sad. Sorry to bring it up.

Crash slobbers a lot when he gets really excited and stimulated more than any APBT I have seen. Since he is more of a game like build I thought maybe it was a part of Molossoid deep in his ancestry.

Could have. I like to think most pits like to look pitiful just for the fun of being called cute.

All in all I am getting the feeling that I have to just really keep up on his immunity and not allow it to be compromised. It looks as if that's when the disease comes out of dormancy and wreaks havoc and can multiply from what I have read. Not that I dont already but that kind of just makes me reassured he could be good for a very long time to come.

I cant find this yogurt with at least 7 cultures though unless I have a misunderstanding. I dont even like yogurt so what would I know but all the labels at the grocery store only list two cultures.

Im still looking for tips on his anxiety so I can take him out in public again without him craving attention from everyone and everything.
The stoneyfield organic that I use has 6 live and active cultures :) Did you look at the ALL natural website I provided for you at all? You maybe able to find something on there for stress and anxiety. I know they have stuff for it.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I bought the thunder jacket for Vendetta. She was very hyper and over excited when I was gone. My family would put the jacket on her and it calmed her right down.

If you go into the organic section of the grocery store you should be able to find a better yogurt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts