Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am wondering if there are any acceptable medications, or supplements either over the counter or prescription that can help with Elbow dysplasia.

We got Slim last year, who is a bully mix from the local animal control. He's probably got some mastiff or some other large breed in him because now that he's gotten some muscle and weight on him he's about 120 lbs.

Animal control got him in as a stray and he was very under weight and had a bladder infection. They had him for a few months. We adopted him and treated him again for infection. Took 3 rounds to get rid of the bladder infection, plus he had an eye infection, some yeast on his feet and his gums were infected. His teeth are almost non existent so we are not sure of his age, but he's obviously an older dog. I'd say 7 plus, and that's assuming he was a heavy tennis ball chewer.

His front legs give him a lot of pain. He loves to play with his toys still and can get on our bed to sleep. Needs help for cars. Seems barometric changes really cause a lot of pain as well as long walks. He loves to swim, so in the summer we plan on going to a lot of lakes and such since that should be easy on the joint exercise. It's been way to cold to do any of that now though.

We have him on supplements: Glucosamine, bromelain, msm, yucca ect currently.

I am going to assume surgery is out of the question. He had been neutered just before we got him and that was very hard on him and ...bummer, we still have a testicle so they missed. (I have no idea how that worked out) We are debating about re doing surgery even for that. It doesn't seem to be causing any hormonal issues. He gets along with our other dog, a 12 year old neutered pitbull.

I thought about talking to my vet about prescription pain relievers. My concern is that being an older dog, I don't want to cause too much work on his other organs, like kidneys or something.

Anyone else have experience and working pain solutions?

thank you.
Kristine

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
You sound like you are doing most if not all that is available without doing surgery.

I have a friend with an EB who has a torn ACL and never went in for surgery, they have seen a significant improvement using Dasaquin.

If you are completely against surgery, maybe seek out a holistic vet for natural options. There are also a lot of companies out there making braces for dogs now too.

Good onya for adopting, especially a special needs case like him. He's very lucky to have found you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response.

I'm not completely against surgery, just worried about how he would handle it. He is much healthier than when he was neutered.

I usually always adopt, bully breeds are my favorite, especially pits, however I have other small pets (birds, chickens, a house bunny) so I need a personality that will get along well with them. It's safer to me to find an older dog (we prefer a 2 year old plus) who you can gauge personality on. Plus an older dog usually has a better attention span, for learning to behave properly around small animals. A pup, could possibly go through adolescence and decide to eat the rest of my pets or decide other dogs suck. (I know I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean)

I had to look up dasaquin, and that sounds like it has similar ingredients to the one I'm giving. I don't have an actual holistic vet near us, but our normal vet does encourage a lot of more holistic solutions to our older dogs. He's been treating our pit with holistic medications for dementia currently, which has helped a great deal on him. At least he's walking around the furniture and walls now and not just plowing into everything and falling over like a drunken sailor.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
We've also had good experience with Dasaquin. It helped our older boy significantly before he passed and is currently helping Ciara keep up with the puppies. We supplement with Rimadyl on really bad days (usually a day after a really hard play day) but that's only 1-2 times a month.

You've taken excellent care of this poor boy and he's very lucky you found him. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts