Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bruno and the neighbors and their pups had an encounter today.

I was getting out my keys(Bruno and I had just returned home from the pet store) when they pulled open their door and came out with the dogs(in there hands) I didn't know they had 3 puppies.

They freaked at first and stepped back. But I stated matter of factly.

"It's ok! Bruno's friendly,he's just a bit jumpy." they were actually cool about it. They just said. "Oh! Ok." And walked on by. Bruno was jumpy when he first saw them cause, 1: he's still being trained to not do that. 2. he likes people and 3. he wanted to see what they were holding.
I gave him a firm leave it,and he sat down,so they could walk by.

I wasn't really aware how effected I would be by that. My hands were shaking pretty bad after I got inside,but Bruno proved yet again,what a good dog he is,even when I'm nervous~(The incident with MoMo is still fresh in my mind,i think that's why my hands shook,but I think I'll be better now,this was just my 1st encounter with them after the accident,with dogs involved.)

I'm so glad. I just plan on keeping him away from their door as far as possible,cause he's been very interested in it now,cause the pups and mom dog sniff at him from under it.

I just don't want another accident. I trust Bruno more then I ever trusted Momo.... But still..Never trust them NOT to fight ya know!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Sounds like your lining yourself up for another incident...your dog should be crated when you are opening the door...since you have already proven you have trouble controling them...yeah i trust my dogs to but i'm not going to set them up for failure...good luck to you...i have read several of your posts and i ask myself if you are ready to own this breed...i hope so...best of luck to you and your dog...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
just the fact that you were "scared crapless"...makes me worry about your handling of bruno...you should always be secure and in charge...good luck

·
Registered
962 Posts
oh how i hate the adrenaline factor!!
i have had dogs charge at Boomer and while i try to keep calm at the time it is once we get half a block away that i have jello legs and shakey hands. thats about the time Boomer looks at me like i'm an idiot and i stop for a minute to give him pets and get myself back together.

well lets hope now that your neighbors know you have a dog they wont blast out of thier door without looking first. and hate to say it but our dogs tend to be pretty smart, so he will probably keep checking back on thier door until they walk out with something totally un-exciting.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was already outside with Bruno. We had just gotten home with him from the store.(Sorry should have been more clear on that)
he couldn't have been crated,cause we hadn't even gotten inside yet.
but he was leashed.

I was only scared,cause I didn't know if their Mom dog was gonna rush out. The incident is still fresh in my mind,but I;ll over come it.
Just this situation proved to me,that I have better control over Bruno,where with Momo, I really had none.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
hey chica, you know i love you right? but i think i have to agree on this one, owning a pit is a big responsiblity and i'm not sure if your ready, please consider this before you bring another one into your home, if you have questions about what it truely mean to be a foster mama or just haveing the whole multi dog home, feel free to pm me or better yet one of the mods like performance kennels or Indigo Bully Connection or american_pit13 just someone.
anyway like i said i'm not trying to step on your toes it just.... well i'm concerned about you darlin. Things can go so bad so fast and well, i dunno do me a favor and check with PK to see if she knows any bullie knowlegable trainers that you could possibly sign up with and talk face to face with and continue training with your boy before starting a pack.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well at this point in time, I'm not ready to get another dog. I've decided that myself.

How could I have handled the situation differently? I thought I handled it pretty well. But I guess not. What could have been done differently? I mean, I don't have more then like a foot of space between my door and his,so encounters like this will most likely be frequent.

What should I do with Bruno if we're just getting home,and I'm getting out my keys to open the door,or opening the door.
He wont be kenneled then,cause well...I can't really drag that thing with me,and it would be hard to drag him and the kennel down the hall if he's in it. LOL~

·
3,272 Posts
it’s not that you didn't give the right command or where in the wrong place. it’s the fact that you DID have a little bit of a panic attack, when you have the responsibility of owning this powerful of a breed you truly need to KNOW you can handle any situation that arises, that is why I suggested the more training with a bullie experianced trainer to have you more confident that you have absolute control over your pup so that for your sake there won't be another.... accident :confused:

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yes. I have been talking with performanceknls about my lack of confidence. I'm working on it.

This was my first real face to face encounter with them after the incident,I wasn't worried about Bruno really,I was more worried about what they would do when they saw me. :/
But now that I know they'll be cool and civilized( I don't like confrontation,I'm a Pretty PA person),I don't think I'll have any future problems.
But that wont make me slack,I still wont let my guard down. I'm being extra careful now about when I open my door. Bruno is leashed when I open the door to let someone in or out,or if the door is going to be open longer then 2 min,I kennel him in the kitchen,so I can still see him.

·
3,272 Posts
good to hear, and i think bruno will love being a single dog with all of your attention ;). and remember if your on gaurd and tense dogs can feel that to, its all about the confidance of knowing you can handle the any situation.... and well being ABLE to handle any situation lol

well good luck keep us updated with all the training and improvment you will hopefully be making with our boy

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, when I mean guard,I mean,just being alert to everything around me,so I can avoid bad situations.
But yes,I do get those moments where I'm like. EEP!

I've been trying to avoid them,I am very good about taking Bruno in and out of places. This was just something I couldn't avoid.

I need to Man up(Woman up) and stop being so shy and PA.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Bruno and the neighbors pups had an encounter today.

I was getting out my keys(Bruno and I had just returned home from the pet store) when they pulled open their door and came out with the dogs(in there hands) I didn't know they had 3 puppies.

They freaked at first and stepped back. But I stated matter of factly.

"It's ok! Bruno's friendly,he's just a bit jumpy." they were actually cool about it. They just said. "Oh! Ok." And walked on by. Bruno was jumpy when he first saw them cause, 1: he's still being trained to not do that. 2. he likes people and 3. he wanted to see what they were holding.
I gave him a firm leave it,and he sat down,so they could walk by.

I wasn't really aware how effected I would be by that. My hands were shaking pretty bad,but Bruno proved yet again,what a good dog he is,even when I'm scared crap less~(This incident is still fresh in my mind,i think that's why my hands shook,but I think I'll be better now,this was just my 1st encounter with them after the accident,with dogs involved.)

I'm so glad. I just plan on keeping him away from their door as far as possible,cause he's been very interested in it now,cause the pups and mom dog sniff at him from under it.

I just don't want another accident. I trust Bruno more then I ever trusted Momo.... But still..Never trust them NOT to fight ya know!
This post is it for me!! I'm going to be polite and direct and this will also be my only post in this thread. YOU SHOULD NOT OWN A PIT BULL! You appear to have nothing but good intentions for our breed, but after reading your posts I'm not sure. I've come to one conclusion and that is you should not own a Pit Bull. You are a HUGE liability to our breed! I'm not trying to be a jerk you are just not a person that should own a Pit Bull or a Bully style breed. There are a ton of dogs that need rescuing and there are just as many different breeds to chose from. Please chose another Breed to champion!! Just to let you know how strongly I feel about this I actually agree with Lone Star! I just think your enthusiasm may be better suited to another breed. . I hope not but, with all your posts I think you're actually from one of those fanatical animal rights groups and you're just messing with this forum.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
But I already own one. I really am trying to better myself, I'm working very hard on training myself as I am Bruno.
I also didn't want the mom dog to come out,but they have a baby gate to block her from exiting when she's not allowed,so I have no worries about that now.
I'm sorry you feel that I shouldn't own this breed,but I am going to continue to work with Bruno and myself,so that I can prove you wrong. I'm positive I can better myself along with my dog.
it's all the confidence,and I'm working on it with help.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should also note,that the hand shaking happened after I had gotten inside with Bruno.
I should have posted that to begin with. I was calm and collected when i encountered them.
it was after getting inside that I tuned a bit to jello from the adrenalin.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
But I already own one. I really am trying to better myself, I'm working very hard on training myself as I am Bruno.
I also didn't want the mom dog to come out,but they have a baby gate to block her from exiting when she's not allowed,so I have no worries about that now.
I'm sorry you feel that I shouldn't own this breed,but I am going to continue to work with Bruno and myself,so that I can prove you wrong. I'm positive I can better myself along with my dog.
it's all the confidence,and I'm working on it with help.
I sure as hell hope you prove me wrong and I sincerely mean that!!!!!!! At the same time you better not help with me losing a breed that I've owned for the last 30 years!!!

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I promise I will NOT let you down. I know what i need to work on,and i have been talking with people on here about how to restore my confidence.
Owning MoMo,made me so worried and paranoid about dogs meeting other dogs/kids,that I lost site of my ability to control the situation properly.
Now that she's no longer in the picture,I have 100% focus on Bruno,and learning his tolerance levels,and personality.(he is 100% ok with all kinds of people,and most dogs(atm with the dogs, I know this can change))
I am going to seek help in anyway that I can,to help me regain the confidence I need to ensure Bruno has a safe and happy life.

I pledged it to him,and myself,that we will be working on this together EVERYDAY! I will not fail him, or this breed,I plan on it, failure is not an option.

All in all, I know this has NOTHING to do with Bruno,he's a great dog, It's all 100% me,and my lack of confidence.
I know this,have accepted it,and will be working on it from this day forward.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I think you're fine as far as this situation is concerned.There was nothing else you could do,as you were unlocking your door while these people were coming out of their apartment.
But as far as other circumstances go,just continue to be more aware.
Is there any way you can contact the apt manager about these people continuously walking their dogs without a leash?Puppies or not,they need to be on leashes.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have spoken Several times with her. She's tried very hard to talk to EVERYONE about this issue.( I think we need signs of some kind)

It's not just these people, it's about 3-4 other people in this complex.

The worst one, is the lady with the medium sized black dog,who was raised with pits. It's out of control(like momo was) only it's "friendly"( Not taking chances) but they let it roam around with NO leash.
It's run right up into Bruno's face several times,and each time Bruno growled,but that was it.
I keep telling them,I don't care that their dog likes my dog. MY DOG DOESN'T LIKE THEIR DOG!

yet they don't seem to grasp this concept.

Another issue is the loose Chow chow. We don't think it belongs to anyone in the complex,but it comes and goes,and I don't want that thing coming near me or Bruno. It's not friendly from what I can tell.

But as for my neighbors. After the incident, I've seen them walking the pups ON leashes,they also came out with them In their arm.

I think both of us are being more careful and responsible. It just took that horrible accident for us to realize we were being irresponsible as dog owners.

I can't speak for them,but I know I'm taking EVERY step to improve myself and my dog.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I sure as hell hope you prove me wrong and I sincerely mean that!!!!!!! At the same time you better not help with me losing a breed that I've owned for the last 30 years!!!
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

lol...i didn't quite understand the reference to me in your previous post...sounds like you went out on a limb to agree with me...but either way...lol...i still love these 2 posts from u in this thread...keep up the good work...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts