Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I've posted about this a few times in the beginning stages. Kane, my 3 year old male has suddenly developed allergies. He would lick his paws until he almost licked a paw pad off, and he'd scratch his ear and yelp at the same time viciously. Took him to the vet, got antibiotics (since there were now infections on his paw and in his ear), changed food (to determine if the allergies were environmental or food related. After a lot of sh** it is determined that they are environmental.

How can I help him? He is in the back yard during the day on a nice day with my female pit. I give him Zertec every morning to try and help him. Nothing seems o be working for any long term amount of time.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
allergies are tricky. there are thousands of possibilities. but the type allergic reactions might give away the cause.
so if you post a clear picture of the symptoms, we can make better suggestions or at least narrow it down to a few possibilities.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres nothing to see. His ear itches and his paws but there is nothing visible except redness of h hisiz ear. I think the itching is deep inside.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
so there are no symptoms other than scratching? no bumps? inflammation? redness?
if you can rule out any skin condition like mange. and of course fleas etc. it could be something simple as dry skin.
either way you can start by giving him a bath using oatmeal shampoo and anti itch conditioner. make sure to clean the ears and between toes really good. then try adding high quality fish oil to his food.
i would also switch form zertec to benadryl. there are less side effects. and it's cheaper.
you may want to take a look at the plants in your yard. try to eliminate any plants that have "defense mechanisms. berry plants. thistles. cacti. any plant with thorns. any plant with fuzzy leaves. and any plant that has white liquid in their stems.
i don't think it would be a grass allergy. otherwise you would see inflammation on his belly and footpads.
good luck.

Reactions: jttar

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is some red in his ear and on his paw, in between his toes. Partly from scratching Im sure. I have recently added Omega 3 back to his food along with coconut oil and AACV. I used to give him all of this but then stopped. I am back at it. ;-) I noticied a better difference with the Zyrtec but when this runs out I will go back to the benedryl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts