Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My precious little dog Honey is an excessive licker and I am not sure if this is normal or if she is having like an OCD moment :p

For example I was lying on the floor last night with her and she just started continuously licking my arm/hand, after about 20 minutes of her licking I kind of nudged her head away, she stopped for a second then continued right on to licking again. She does this anytime someone is lying or sitting down.

It doesn’t bother me, I just don’t want it to be a warning sign of any type of neurological problem or anything like that.

I had to put my male down because of neurological problems, and the vet made the mistake of telling me that if I knew what the warnings signs were then it could of maybe slowed the process, so because of that I am always paranoid about her and things she does.

Thanks in advance for the help/advice. :D

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I would put her on leash and if she licks give her a little pop and say no. You have to be consistent and you are not giving her big corrections just enough to get her to stop. eventually she will learn to stop.
If you have been letting her lick you, like you said you had enough after 20 min it might be hard to break her of it. You have allowed her to do that unwanted behavior and now you have to fix it.
I do therapy dog work the dogs cannot lick and this is how we stop them. licking can also be a sign of affection and that is why you give little pops on the leash do not get too upset. You do not want her getting in big trouble for showing affection.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Lisa, any idea WHY dogs do this??? Helena won't lick me in the face because she knows it's been off limits since she was a puppy... but the boyfriend lets her and she will go on and on and on.... I ask her for kisses and she will lick my chin once or twice.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Dogs can have different reasons for licking, it could be for comfort, affection, OCD lol, many different reasons. Each dog is different and my husband does the same thing! lol They know better that to attack mom but dad is all fun and games ;)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Dogs can have different reasons for licking, it could be for comfort, affection, OCD lol, many different reasons. Each dog is different and my husband does the same thing! lol They know better that to attack mom but dad is all fun and games ;)
The husband licks too? :p

·
Registered
244 Posts
When my dog excessively licks, i think he trying to show domiance over me, it was wierd he would get real obessive over it. I nipped it in the bud when he was about 7 months (1 year now) now he will just lick when I ask for a kiss, or he will lick my hand a couple of times when I haven't seen him in alittle or I let him out of the crate............

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I have a lick-a-lot-apus pit

I a female pit, approx 1 yr old, rescue from a shelter, unk history as found as a stray. I would like to work on some of her behaviors that prevent her and us from being able to have more fun with her and other dogs. She is super sweet and playful. She apparently was not socialized very well, she does okay with our dogs- she bugs then cause she wants to play, but if its dogs out on a walk, she goes nuts. If she is at a dog park she cowards and gets bullied so to speak. This is one issue I would like to work on with her without overwhelming her and taking it slow.

The other issue I have with her is that she is an excessive licker... the bitter spray does not work, because we literally would have to spray non stop our entire bodies and house..lol.. I myself tell her no licking when she does it, pull away my hand or whatever body part (leg, face) she is trying to get to. I break out and itch where ever she licks, so I am especially interested in getting her to stop and calm down a bit. Sometimes, I will tap her to tell her to stop, but nothing has worked. I am more consistant than the boyfriend, hence she listens to me more than him, but she still will do it to me.

I know she loves us and we give her rubs down and belly rubs so that she knows affection is ok, but the licking is out of control, she will lick her paws for minutes at a time or the sheets in the bed, so I am not sure how address something that seems to be more than just kisses.

Thanks for any advise!:hammer:

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I would say she is licking to calm herself. Since you do not know her background something could have happened in her past and little things remind her of it so she is trying to reassure herself that things are okay. I would try to give her a toy when she licks something that she can hold on to while you rub her hard on the head between the ears this area will really calm a dog down. When she licks just say No lick and postition her so her mouth is away from you and you can contintue to rub the head.

Vendetta will lick I know it is because she was taken from her mom at a young age 4wks. I don't mind her licking so I don't correct it. She doesn't lick anyone else so it doesn't need to be corrected as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I would say she is licking to calm herself. Since you do not know her background something could have happened in her past and little things remind her of it so she is trying to reassure herself that things are okay. I would try to give her a toy when she licks something that she can hold on to while you rub her hard on the head between the ears this area will really calm a dog down. When she licks just say No lick and postition her so her mouth is away from you and you can contintue to rub the head.

Vendetta will lick I know it is because she was taken from her mom at a young age 4wks. I don't mind her licking so I don't correct it. She doesn't lick anyone else so it doesn't need to be corrected as far as I'm concerned.
I have thought that too when she starts licking, its usually when she is most anxious or excited to see her daddy. I wouldn't be so concerned about the licking if it was restricted to just the boyfriend or me, but she will lick anyone, she will come up behind me if I am sitting at my desk and lick my elbow, or my feet or face.. or jeans..lol .. We are doing the no licking command- and do try to calm her down with rub down so she feels affection from us too. I use to do a toy with some peanut butter so she can kinda get the licking reflex out of her system by licking the peanut butter out of the kong toy. Thanks for the tips.. we will keep at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When my dog excessively licks, i think he trying to show domiance over me, it was wierd he would get real obessive over it. I nipped it in the bud when he was about 7 months (1 year now) now he will just lick when I ask for a kiss, or he will lick my hand a couple of times when I haven't seen him in alittle or I let him out of the crate............
Not dominance, but the exact opposite. Most dogs when licking other dogs or their humans are showing adoration and submission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts