Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Should I be concerned that my female is very excited to see other dogs when we go on walks. She will wine when we walk along in anticipation of seen another dog even though there are none around to be seen.

At first I use to keep her far away from other dogs as I was not sure if she was going to be aggressive towards them or not, but then the other day I saw my friend walking his dogs so I let her get closer to the dogs and she was just going crazy to say hello.

Should I worry and what would be the best way to deal with it, also do you think she will calm down once she gets done.

She is 10 months now and I waiting for her to go on her second heat before getting her done. BTW she has been like this for the last 3 months or so.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
What do u mean by getting her done? Do you mean spaying her? These dogs are meant to be big lazy couch potatoes .. she happy and excited about stuff so as long as she isn't peeing all over everything I wouldn't worry too much.. maybe teach her some basic commands :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, yes I meant by getting her done, i meant spaying her

I understand that she gets excited, but I have just never experienced a dog that wines while walking in anticipation of seen another dog. Also every gate we walk past she will sniff excessively and will jump up at low walls to see if she can see any dogs over the well

She knows the basic commands like, sit, lay down, roll over, stay and so on, but once out she is not even interested in treats... all she wants to do is see other dogs.

She also spends all day long with 3 cats and another dog so its not like she gets no interaction

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
My dog gets crazy excited to meet other dogs too. She just loves them-- no matter how big or small they are. She also lives with 3 cats and another dog, so I don't know why she gets so wound up, but she does. She's been spayed though-- was done at 5 1/2 months. So I couldn't tell you if hormones have anything to do with it. With my girl, it's more like she wants to mother every dog she comes across. She tries to groom my neighbors 16 year old Schnauzer mix like he's a tiny pup, haha. She's really good on a leash until we see other dogs, and then she goes wild wanting to get to them. She's a hit at Petsmart with the small dog owners-- they all want to take her picture... The big ol' bad Pit Bull down on the floor cuddling up to their [Dachshund, Yorkie, Chihuahua, whatever]
That being said-- keep in control, and stay in tune with your dog. I can tell when Keira is getting irritated... like with one Chihuahua that kept snarling and biting her when she was trying to love on it. The owners of that Chi were all like "Awwww, he thinks he's so big and bad, look how cute" so I removed my dog from that situation. Keira is the most tolerant dog I have ever known-- yours may not be as much once she goes through a heat. Or she could just become DA. Always better to know your dog :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I must say since I joined this forum I have been very careful with my pitbul so I wont just let her approach any dog, no matter how excited she is, I always approach with caution :)

Think I will do some research on keeping more control of her when she is out and about, unless anyone has any more advice or any links for me :)

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I have also heard it depends on how they approach. Head and nose in air they looking to tell people they are in charge nose not pointed in air, they cool. Not sure how "they" know this but I always look at the dogs my pup can't stand and they always have heads up nose higher lol. Could be a coincidence. In any case, i wouldnt just let your dog rush anything. Try and train her to slow the approach in case she spooks a dog and gets a bad reaction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My youngest dog used to do just like u discribed it when he saw other dogs. He got super excited and just wanted to play with them all.
But now a couple of months later I don't allow him to great other dogs at all since he started to show agression.
I don't mind really, as long as I can walk by other dogs without him jumping on them, wich he doesn't, then I'm fine.

It sounds to me like your dog is just beeing a puppy, maybe she'll grow out of it like mine did or maybe she'll stay like that.. U never know ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have also heard it depends on how they approach. Head and nose in air they looking to tell people they are in charge nose not pointed in air, they cool. Not sure how "they" know this but I always look at the figs my pup can't stand and they always have heads up nose higher lol. Could be a coincidence. In any case, i wouldnt just let your dog rush anything. Try and train her to slow the approach in case she spooks a dog and gets a bad reaction.
Lol mine approaches other dogs in a half U shape.... wagging her tail like crazy and at the same time trying to say hello.... Funniest thing ever.

Thanks for the advice though, going to make sure i get more concentration from her when we are out and about and that she learns how to introduce herself to other dogs like a lady :roll:

·
Super Moderator
4,656 Posts
I guess I'm a control freak. I don't allow anything on walks but walking. Ecko can dance all he wants to as long as he is beside or behind me. I only allow meet and greets with dogs I know and preferably in my own yard so I can have control.
If I were in your situation and had a dog who wanted to spend the walk searching, I would A. work on heel commands at home and B. redirect her need to find into an exercise for her brain. Maybe find a trainer who works in tracking or search and rescue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts