Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1year old amstaff apbt mix that is very friendly but when people or other dogs are around she jumps and people and she is about 60lbs so she scratches and hurts people although she doesnt mean to but she still does. Also if you bend down do pet her she will jump at your face to lick you but sometimes she will hit you with her nose or face but more than anything it just scares people that she is " vicious". Just wondering what I can do we have tried everything to stop this that I can think of some people said that maybe a shock collar would be a good idea? Please help

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I would definitely not use a shock collar.

Have your guests do this too... Get some treats and when she starts to jump on you turn your back away. Then when she has all four feet on the ground praise and treat immediately. And continue to do that, eventually make it so that she has to sit after she stops the jumping. So when you have guests or meet new people she'll learn that not jumping and/or sitting will get her the treats and attention she wants.

No attention when jumping (turning away can be used also) and rewarded for desired behaviors. :)

I hope that helps

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
With a hyper jumper I use another approach that should get immediate results. You have to have the dog on leash when people come over, without being on leash you have no control over the dog and no way to correct them. Have them on leash and if she jumps pop up on the leash to give a correction. No need to say no or off, after the correction praise if the dog stops jumping. Every time the dog jumps up pop up on the leash and this should only take a few times before the dog understands if her feet leave the ground she gets a little pop. Try this on the soft collar or flat collar you use for every day wear. If she does not get the point you can put a slip chain or prong collar on the dog, what ever level of correction is appropriate for your dog. Praise is a big part of this you do not want your dog to be worried but to not put paws on people. When the dog is sitting there and probably wiggling ;) pet her in the sit and tell her she is good. This will help her learn to sit and it is ok to be excited but her paws should not leave the ground. After you do understands not to jump and is off leash and tries to get away with a jump take your hands and put one hand over the other, the palm on of hand over the back of the other and they are kind of criss crossed. If the dog jumps up bop the dog on the nose. This is NOT a hit it is a bop to make it uncomfortable to jump up. This is a great deterrent off leash but do the on leash work first. I have been meaning to get this on video as it is requested often by my long distance students. Jumping is easy to fix if you have the the know how on what to do.

I would not use a shock collar for this. Most people do not know how to use them and you will crate a bunch of problems and you probably will not be fair in how you correct the dog. I love E collars and they have a lot of uses but only in the hands of those that know how to use them properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when you say pop up on the leash are you meaning just a quick tug upwards and that will get her to stop?? I have tried with the leash and she is just determined to jump nothing seems to work it is just agrivating at this point because she is otherwise good just gets so excited to meet new or old people.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With a hyper jumper I use another approach that should get immediate results. I would not use a shock collar for this. Most people do not know how to use them and you will crate a bunch of problems and you probably will not be fair in how you correct the dog. I love E collars and they have a lot of uses but only in the hands of those that know how to use them properly.
I agree with the method and with the statement about the e collar. Took me a couple years and a seminar or two before I was comfortable.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sometimes it takes loads of patience and much repetition for a dog to learn something like this.
I've got 2 dogs, one is more 'submissive' ( for lack of a better word) and learns in a snap, the other is a dominant type and he's always a work in progress.
Before I got him, I was naive enough to look forward to a perfectly behaved dog without much effort, but working w/ him to get close to there is enjoyable.

For him, I start him with a 'sit' command and be sure I've got his attention before greeting anyone. If he's excited he won't listen. If the person being greeted is very calm... no talking no reaching for his head ( chest works better in his case), the dog will calm down and won't jump.
I don't allow just anybody to greet my dog, I beg off saying something like ' can't.. I'm training him'. For those that I do, I ask them to help me w/ the training and tell them how I'd like them to interact w/ my dog.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If you are just using a soft collar and the dog is ignoring you then you need a slip chain or a prong collar. When my husband gets home I will get it on video for you I have to do it anyway. You have to give a good pop and it may take some practice, many people jerk up but it is more of a pull then a pop and there for no correction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts