Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what are some good ways to exercise my 8 month old pup in the city. We live in and apartment in Center City, Philadelphia and I could use some advice. I've read enough info on here to know that dog parks aren't a good option; even though Rosey is still very dog-friendly (she's still only 7.5 months old so we're still waiting to see whether she'll turn DA), I'm still not taking the chance of taking her back to the dog park.

Before I did my research about the breed and dog parks, we took her there a few times and she loved it. However, the last time we were there, I had to break up a dog fight between two dogs that weren't even mine. The idiot owners were too busy chatting to realize their dogs were getting in a fight. Rosey wasn't fighting, but she did bite one of the dogs as my girlfriend and I were pulling the other two apart. Long story short... that was Rosey's last trip to the dog park and now I need to find a better way to exercise her.

As of right now, the only exercise Rosey gets is 1-2 long walks a day depending on the weather and how much time we have. While we haven't had any problems with her that could be related to not getting enough exercise, I want to find some good ways to keep her active. My girlfriend and I are active runners and would eventually like Rosey to be our running partner. However, we're concerned that she is still too young to run with us because she is still growing.

Also, our apartment is too small (just a one-bedroom) to fit a treadmill in it and I don't think the other residents in the building would like it if our pup was using the treadmill in the building's gym.

Any advice for exercising her in the city would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
well if its too small to get a treadmill best bet is just hand walks and runs , do you drive are there places you can take her swimming in the warmer months? trails anywhere for a more active walk maybe once or twice a week? I usually discourage people in apartments from owning these breeds they are active and do need to wear off that energy or you may see other things pop up, chewing, barking, destruction or many sorts lol. They like spring poles and flirt poles but seeing as you probably dont have room for that it really limits you. { you can get the treadmills that fold up and slide under your bed or something when not using, check Craigslist there may be one on there fairly cheap } 8 months you can start light runs i wouldnt do marathons or anything with her but i take mine out for 15 minute runs approx, you can add that in while just out on a walk. When she is older if she walks nice maybe try and get her used to a bike and take her out biking so she can get in a good run that way. Sounds like your doing what you can , and there is more you will be able to as she matures .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My parents live near the beach (about an hour away from us in Philly) and we took her down there a bunch of times over the summer and she had a blast running around and in the water but it's getting too cold to bring her down there now. I have been playing a lot of tug with her in the apartment and it's been a good way for her to burn off some steam and to work on "drop it."

If we started running her now, how far do you think she could go without injuring herself? I only run 2-3 miles at a time (my gf is the marathoner). Do you think I can do this with Rosey? and if so, would running on an asphalt path be ok?

Thanks again for the input.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I would try to find a grass or dirst path to run on and I would run half that and walk the other half. Let Rosey be your guide if she is slowing down or panting hard stop running and just walk.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Ya I agree with mikado run part of it walk the rest, and I wouldnt run on cement atleast not yet { i dont even run the adults on cement but I know some do}

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Welcome, treadmill is great in the winter like said above (or anytime you can't get out) Just make sure to introduce Rosey slowly as not to scare her off. I give lots of cheese (my boy is not really food motivated so it has to be good to get him to pay attention, he loves cheese) for the first couple days just have your pup stand and get lots of cheese when you say treadmill, after a couple days they will run to the treadmill to get the treat. Then I start to turn it on slowly and always use a key work, mine is ready, and he knows I am turning it on. I attach a leash with enough give to be comfortable but not enough that the pup will fall off the back if they lose footing for a minute. Kind of a safety.

I live in a city also and find it most frustrating because of off leash dogs. I go to places that dogs are typically not allowed. Parks for humans, Ball fields, basketball/tennis courts. They are usually fenced in so we can get a good fetch going and I can see if anything is coming that I need to leash my boy. He was fine with other animals as well until he was about 8-10 months. Brings up the concrete as well, having a city boy myself after a few walks on the concrete gets his pads used to it. I increase and now he can run and play without problems. I also put bag balm on them to soften them up (especially in the winter with the people using salt on sidewalks that might not be puppy friendly) if I notice they are getting like sand paper lol oh and Even if your pup NEVER shows DA, do not ever leave Rosey with another animal unattended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts