Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new pup is a high energy guy. That's part of the reason I chose him, as I run every day and I know he'll make a good running buddy. His paws, however, are currently preventing him from getting the exercise he needs. Since he was in the shelter for so long in a smooth-floored kennel or out in a dirt run, he lost all callouses on his foot, so when I got him his pads were soft, smooth, and pink. While we've been working on getting his paws back up to scratch (he's building up callouses nicely), because of that and his skin allergies his feet get raw and he limps after only a half hour walking on pavement. I try to walk him mostly on grass where he's fine, but there's limited grassy areas around me.

If Paco doesn't get the exercise (physical and mental) he needs he years around the house, jumps on the other aging dogs, and gets super anxious. I'm trying to combat this until he can do things like go on runs and long walks by using a dog backpack and training often. He's good on lease when I'm handling him, but my mother (who's watching him half the week until I move) has a lot of trouble controlling him on walks with his pulling. He's much better on his Easy Walk harness, but his skin is so sensitive that he breaks out in a bad rash where it rubs his shoulders.

Any advice on how to let Paco get his energy out on days I can't get him to a grassy park? I'm hoping his paws and skin heal up soon (he's on medication and has skin spray), but I don't want bad leash pulling to become a habit in the meantime when I'm not there.
image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
Mushers secret before walks, and there is a product called tuf foot out there. I have used mushers secret and it does wonders for Ecko.
I'm ordering some Tuf Foot today to give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
You can also use a flirt pole in the grass. Easier on the feet and burns energy pretty quickly.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Dang white dogs do have their share of sensitivities and skin problems! Pigment is protective!

Are his pads pink or dark? If pink,they may never be as durable as the darker ones. And with all that white, he may always be prone to skin irritations.

I've heard good things about the mushers secret too.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
So cute! Great idea Echo mushers secret may work! But they also have boots that you can use for the snow or when the tar is too hot you could try. Amazon Best Sellers: Best Dog Boots & Paw Protectors
does your mom have a treadmill? You could try and get your boy used to walking on a treadmill on days the park is out. Or start on the treadmill and finish with a walk may help tire him out.

Some nice mind games may help. Try find it in the house. Take you boy out A room and hide high value smelly treats in places and have him go find the treats. Mental stimulation can help tire out a pup as much as physical.

Sent from Petguide.com App so please excuses the typos

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His paws are pink, unfortunately. He loves his walks, and would go all day with or without limp if I let him. Dude has some serious skin allergies. I got him a dog t-shirt (I never wanted to be that person, but ah well) to put underneath his harness to prevent chaffing. He just has the most sensitive skin. My vet was like, "Yeah, on top of the usual pitbull skin issues you're going to have white dog skin issues." Of course I had to fall in love with a double whammy, haha. Whatever, he's worth it and at least he found one sucker willing to work to manage his issues.

We don't have a treadmill, but I'm going to look into these products-- thanks for the tips! Hopefully Paco will be back on the road soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts