Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new with 2

hello, new here, I have a 7 wk old pitbull female Jubilee and then my husband and I decided she needed a companion so we got a male off of craigslist (I know buying from back yard breeders is bad but rest assured im learning my lesson) The lady told me my little bucho is 6 wks old but he is no where near the size of jubilee (juju) he might weigh 2 lbs maybe and im quite worried im going to try and post in the health thread for advice I got him in with our vet on tuesday but just trying to find some advice thanks guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello everyone new here, we got our female jubilee about a week and a half ago, then my husband and I decided she needed a companion so we went to craigslist and found a lady who had a litter of puppies so we went and picked a male puppy we seen the mom(very aggressive and mean) I asked the lady was she sure about the age she said yes, I am a little skeptical because juju looks like a giant compared to him I just took pics to upload for you guys to see, I am a little worried about the little guy he cannot/will not ??? eat puppy food even moistened so I am giving him the formula. He maybe weighs 2 lbs maybe, the lady said something about the dad being a pocket pit?? Idk I was thinking maybe they are smaller . I just thought surely if they are both pit bulls around the same age they should be around the same size. I will try and upload pics soon the little boy (bucho) just seems very young Idk I know I seem a little frantic ( I am ) I have been up all night with the little guy he whines alot, I got him in with the vet Tuesday hopefully he will ease my mind any advice would be helpful

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
You got suckered, theres no such thing as "pocket pit" or any type of "pit bull".. Theres only one and thats the American Pit Bull Terrier which based on what you have said, its obvious thats not what you have.. "Pocket" sized is usually referred to in the American Bully breed as it is a class for them..

You also made the mistake of feeling like he "needed a friend".. These dogs need to be socialized however they do NOT need "dog friends".. Dog Aggressive by nature aka genetics, "all in how you raise them" is new aged garbage and you buy into it you won't learn without the inevitable happening.

Also, HA is not a trait for either American Bully or Bulldog that is sought after.. If the mother was HA the genes were likely passed to the offspring thus creating what could be a HA pup when reaching closer to maturity.

Reactions: ::::COACH::::

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Well, unfortunately when you get a pup from what sounds like a back yard breeder, these things happen...not to mention these dogs are never supposed to be human aggressive, like it sounds like mom dog was.. But I will not get into that...hopefully, this will be a lesson learned.

Since you have not posted the pics of him yet to give usa rough idea of his age, I would keep up with the milk replacement formula you have been doing and let us know how the vet appointment goes! You could put a warm pack in there with him to help him feel more like mom is there.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Would love to see the pictures. I 100% agree with KM on this. You really should have done some research before adding a "freind" and seeing the mom was really aggressive that should be a HUGE red flag to people getting puppy. Temperment is usually genetic and there is now a good chance your pup will have that same temperment. But what's done is done.

The pup sounds very young , what are you feeding right now? You can get some milk substitute from your pet store or goats milk and offer that, he may lap it up on his own , once he goes to mushy food you can use that even to soften it , adds more nutrients then just using water to soften it.

I would use the search bar at the top and look up bite inhibition , something people with under age pups should know, although it does help having another pup around for that.

Also in the search at the top look up DA { dog aggression} and if you haven't already invest in a couple crates and work on crate training them as well. Will really help you in the future if you do this young. there is a great thread on here about crate training.

As well since the temperment on the mom was so aweful, I would look up HA {human aggression} and really make sure you are on him training wise, obedience, and aware of any personality changes as he matures. HA is something that should NEVER be tolerated and is not meant in this breed. This breed already gets a bummed rap and having HA dogs show up just adds fuel to the fire. I know I wouldnt own one and many people have had to make that decision to euthanize dogs like that. I hope for your sake the moms temperment was due to environmental issues and how she was treated and or trained vs genetics.

There is a ton of info on here, you may have started on the wrong foot but there is nothing saying you cant do this right and move forward. Would have to say a big majority of us owners didnt start the right way with our 1st dog, As long as you learn from it and make things work is all that matters.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I would never get a pup of Craigslist, simply too many BYBs.
You should never try to cheap out when it comes to dogs, you're better off finding a quality breeder.

The Mom seems a bit iffy, based on her behavior I think you should keep looking.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
:( as was stated above you most likely have an American Bully or a mix breed dog. Unfortunately with out registry papers there will be no way to tell what breed or mix the pup really is. As Angel said really do your research on Dog aggression. This breed is often genetically dog aggressive, its history and genetics. Now I would advise you to get 2 crates and start crate training them now so they are used to it. This breed doesn't need, or generally like, doggy friends. More than likely the pups are going to have to be separated once they mature. Never never never leave them out alone together. Even if they seem to get along. Play can turn into aggression in a split second. Also I'd have a break stick in the house just in case.
On the issue of human aggression, this should never happen in this breed. Yea they can be DA but aggression towards humans should never be tolerated. That dog should have never been bred and possibly PTS. Now your pup may not inherate this but it's a real possibility that he could so staying on training and socializing is a must.
This site has a ton of great info plus a whole lot of real knowledgable people who have year and years of experience with the breed. Please feel free to post as many questions as you have we will be happy to help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
hello, new here, I have a 7 wk old pitbull female Jubilee and then my husband and I decided she needed a companion so we got a male off of craigslist (I know buying from back yard breeders is bad but rest assured im learning my lesson) The lady told me my little bucho is 6 wks old but he is no where near the size of jubilee (juju) he might weigh 2 lbs maybe and im quite worried im going to try and post in the health thread for advice I got him in with our vet on tuesday but just trying to find some advice thanks guys
You didn't ask questions before buying her? Does she have papers? Pedigree? Shots all that? I'd try formula for now or wet dog food

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
What do you mean by "aggressive and mean"? Was she being protective of her very young pups? Was she not being cared for properly...as witnessed by the breeder's "care" of the puppies (sarcasm)? Just curious, before the HA label is applied.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I asked as many questions as I could think of, I knew he didnt come with papers, She said she had not given shots. I was browsing around and I seen the post about no papers then a person doesnt truly know what they have, which is fine I love him all the same :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone thanks for reading and responding, I think the mama was being aggressive because the lady I got him from was messing with her puppies, I did call her back just to try and get any more info and she really didnt have much to say, Im giving him formula he is drinking it well. As soon as I post this im uploading the pictures. I once had a vet tech tell me if you get 2 dogs get a male and a female and they usually wont fight is this true? As of now both pups sleep together they seem content this way, but I think I will start putting them each in there own crate any other advice is greatly appreciated

·
APBT!
9,592 Posts
With an unknown background, and any type of pit bull mix type dog, you can never trust them not to fight, even if you have opposite sex dogs. Anything can trigger a fight, from toys, food, bones, blankets, crates, and personal attention from you. It's best to separate them now, and keep a watchful eye on them during play time. Be sure to give them each their own private time with you to keep down the jealousy and potential battle for attention.

Cute pup though. Is that a sore on his chest in the pic of you holding him up?

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
I hate to sound like the bearer of bad news... so please accept it as advice from countless experiences........

Your new pup is a lab mix or a patterdale mix, not because hes chocolate... Tons of chocolate APBTs out there. Its the hair and structure, but I've seen Lab Pit mixes given out as purebred APBTs by BYB's and the SPCA. Patterdale mixes as well they're called pitterpats look very "pit bull" like and are usually 25lb range maybe a lil more. Others with limited knowledge having people who called these small dogs pocket pits just perpetuates ignorance to whats already limited in knowledge. Pitterpats are VERY HA 9 of 10. Most people dont know enough to tell you it does or it doesnt.

Worse case senerio she got a wild card breeding for her dog getting out or a stray or neighbors dog coming by and shes pawning them off as purebred NOW while they are young ;) happens A LOT!

Your were giving correct advice, your pup is so young your family is all the friends he or she needed. The Black and white dog is a good lookin bulldog (APBT) pup. :pup: dog friends are needed but the kind you go visit on the lead at a friends house, socializing them from a pup is very important to have a mentally balanced dog.

The other is cute lil pup but I wouldn't say she is purebred, even though thats not the question, the answer to the question at hand .. MOST Uneducated/LIMITED KNOWLEDGE bearing/ IGNORANT BYBs call any "pit bull" type dog that is under 40lbs a "pocket pit". I have had Hoagie called a pocket pit by many people out in public funny because the pocket pit is a miniature more compact version of the bully strain which neither are APBT let alone "pit bulls". The mom was probably HA because she is muttled and I've seen a GOOD deal of APBT/Lab and APBT/ Patterdale mix dogs that were so HA only one person could handle them or the people who lived in the house. NOW your in a SPOT.. Dont be a BYB breeder. See what happens is "accidental breeding" ALL THE TIME .. thats how it starts.
LET ME TELL YOU: There is no accidental pregnancies, in dogs or humans.. SEX is designed for PROCREATION, thats its purpose. As humans we get the joy as a perc so we want to be more fruitful as its tied to our psyche and love. With dogs survival of the fittest is the goal, thats why the canine in its wild form are all so various as are wild cats, .. As humans we control and manipulate the breeds and strains of dogs for this job or now for cosmetic appeal. Pets entire existence is in our hands, what they eat, what they do, what they are (psychologically) and what you do or do not do with your pet.
So in your spot, what will you do? Dont need to answer me; its retorical. What will you do to better your situation and the situation of the dogs? If your in the city or in town, your well on your way to contributing to an already at large problem, so unfortunately one of those dogs needs to be sterilized (spayed/neutered) REGARDLESS of how accountable you feel you are about yourself. IF your in the country and its a permanent home well it dont matter much as both dogs are unregistered anyway.
Just don't call your dog(s) "Pit Bull" they are not. They are at most bulldogs or curdogs as Traditional American Pit Bull Terriers were known as "pit bull" BUT there are VERY FEW traditional American Pit Bull Terriers. "The Original Bulldog was thrown into the fighting [] and forever dubbed "Pit Bull".. ..(SLC)" ... .. so hence why all the ones who created the breed and strains referred to them as bulldogs most often. Bulldogs and Bandogs is what they all are until proven otherwise; that was the case then and is the case now. Since there is no [] matching allowed in the US then hence there are VERY FEW and DYING out, Traditional American Pit Bull Terriers.

Do your homework, study some source by Stratton, Colby, and other old timers and old school dog men. You can find their books on amazon or you can scroll through the posts put up with interviews and segments of books added here on GPB.com

Best of wishes! Just remember now your teaching two.. and you cant expect dogs to be anything but dogs unless you teach them otherwise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
guys thank you for taking the time to look, really from the bottom of my heart I mean it, I have been so frustrated with the lady I got bucho(the baby ) from. One day I would like to own solid blue (please dont hate I know its a trend but I cant help it ) But its way in the future no time soon I have a feeling Im going to have my hands full. I intend on having both puppies fixed i have no interest in breeding puppies I have 5 kids the oldest 7 the youngest 6 months no more baby anythings for me lol. I want to crate train and keep em inside. My juju the girl is being such a trooper she loves the puppy and seems to watch over him. I have a huge yard but I still dont want to put em outside. Any guesses on how old the baby is ? I really hope the baby isn't HA it would just break my heart I havent gotten so attached from being with him around the clock. so how are these pitter patters with kids? I dont care if hes full bred or not really I just want to know that he will be ok. We dont have any family or anything in san antonio so really no concern of him around a whole lot of strangers all though my buddy is trying to start up a pitbull play group but I have been reading and Im a little reluctant. I hope you guys dont mind but Im going to stay on the forum bc you all have so much good advice. One thing I have noticed is it seems like bucho growls and bosses juju around maybe she just lets him. Juju is so smart she goes on her puppy pad, she comes when she is called and she is so patient with my kids. The puppy seems to prefer the goats milk over the formula is this ok? Oh and if anyone on the forum is in san antonio and would like to donate an hour or two to meet up and educate me I am open to learning I just want to be the best puppy mommy I can be. thanks guys again :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry guys one more thing its not a soar on the puppy there was something on the lense. The other question is will the little guy growling and being so bossy cause my juju to become DA, he doesnt bite he just seems very vocal and for now is it best to just let him adjust and keep the kids away or let them go ahead and get used to each other while he is young?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Yes the goats milk is just fine, you can try warming it up and soaking the kibble in it or even soaking and then blending it till its a mush if he wont eat kibble just soaked. If he was a bully breed I would guess by his size 4-6 weeks he is tiny and I would say 100% under the age he should be leaving his momma at. Maybe that's why momma was so upset, usually by the time they are 6-8 weeks momma is more then done with them lol. IM not sure about this patterdale breed I have never seen one if its a smaller breed he could be older then my guess. I would think within the next week though he should be fine eating kibble either way. Are his teeth all in?
And you are right getting a dog of each sex has a better chance of them getting along but I know a female bully who hates other dogs period regardless of the sex lol. So no guarantee. Just get the crate and crate train now, use it when you cant watch them or when you are not home just to stay on the safe side. As well as they age seperate them in there crates for meals, food aggression is common as well.
Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and will do just fine. There is a ton of info on here and just ask if you cant find the answer, always someone to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the kind words, I actually got so frustrated early this morning that I cried bc the puppy doesnt sleep much and I am mad bc this lady basically just made up a bunch of :poop: just to get me to take a puppy which is fine I love him but he needs his mama he growls at my juju he just seems uncomfortable and he seems to be getting worse I dont know maybe I am over analyzing all of this. I just want to call this lady and yell at her

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
HOw long have you had him? they can take a few weeks to adjust and may just be alot on him right now. Especially if he is so young. Just give him time. do you crate at night? is he crying ? alot of people have put a clock next to there crate the ticking noise soothes them , could maybe try that . Just make sure he cant get it and eat it lol.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
leave a food bowl down 24/7 with puppy kibble or a good high protein but balanced food. IF he has teeth you can taper off of the goats milk by pouring it in a small bowl of kibble as if it was a cereal bowl. They are dogs and quit drinking milk with they have teeth in as the momma will drag em off and wean em off.. Make him a lil lap dog or get your crate an crate train him up. It would be wise to get a large petmate pet crate and start them both in the same crate as puppies they do need their own space and will need so as dogs.. Personally if possible I would install a doggy door and teach em how to use it, one time all it takes and so put the puppy pad outside and so they get their pee/poo smell outside and start them outside. My pups come in at 4-5 wks if I bred them, they start the crate and potty training at this time and usually I dont ever have to wash out a crate, as I start with a small crate or put two pups in a big crate and I let them out before they eat after they eat and in the middle of the day for a good period. Turk hasn't been in a crate since he was 8 wks old and I just brought up a crate to alternate him and Laika making her an outside dog and he picked right up on it like it was yesterday, Get in the crate...

My POINT? This is the most critical learning period for a dog 7-14wks..
Get the female done after she is 5months which looks to be about 2 months away before shes 6months. Get the male done before hes 9months roughly. That will give you some space for funds inbetween.

You might have to get you some light dewormer SOON, sounds to me like the pup is growling at the worms in his belly, YES DOGS DO THAT, They also back off their food if they have tapeworms and the worm is big living in their belly and coming up their esophagus while they eat.. Sounds like heavy on the round or pin worms which is normal in pups. StrogidT or Protal Plus will do this just fine, check the feed store. He should only get about 2cc in three doses in 7 days for best results on a lil guy like him.

starting to give away silver change, gotta stop at 2 cents. ...

Best of wishes..........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts