• Collar

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • NO collar

Votes: 11 50.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
If you have a sturdy collar with no excess hanging off then a collar on would be OK. If I am having a busy week and Ecko is in and out of the house with me I will leave his collar on for the week, in or out of the crate, sometimes in for 8 hours at a time. If it is slow and he's not getting a lot of time out of the house (not counting back yard) then I'll leave it off.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I like to take the collars off my dogs when not needed, if they are alone or in the crate they wont have collars on. I find they scratch alot more when they are on. For those that I do keep collars on I use the chain martingales I find they dont rub or irritate them when left on for prolonged periods, and they dont sweat under them like the thicker collars.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
my dogs only wear collars on walks. always a choker with their tags though

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
^^ditto collar on only on walks.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Opposite. My dogs wear collars all the time. I take them off for baths or once in a while if they're scratching at them a lot, to let the neck "breathe." But I also don't have large hanging tags, so there is less risk of strangulation. I don't want to be caught out if an accidental fight erupts when my dogs are naked.

Reactions: KMdogs

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Opposite. My dogs wear collars all the time. I take them off for baths or once in a while if they're scratching at them a lot, to let the neck "breathe." But I also don't have large hanging tags, so there is less risk of strangulation. I don't want to be caught out if an accidental fight erupts when my dogs are naked.
:goodpost: The less your dog wears collars the longer it will take to get them "broken in".. If you have multiple dogs i always recommend leaving collars on because when we are talking these dogs, fights can happen at a blink of an eye and while you never want to "pull" them apart, it does aid in handling them once separated rather than trying to pick them up in the mist of chaos or any other method.

Granted its not the "end of the world" if you chose to have your dogs collarless inside or various other places that are secure but it only takes one time to regret not having something to hold on to. Several years ago i broke up a fight where one hound did not have a collar and the other did, only time that comes to memory where i had that type of situation and i remember it just made the situation that much harder to control. I cant imagine trying to separate two hot hounds with no collars, it can be done but especially if your alone in the situation God help you.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you were not supposed to leave choke chains on dog's 24/7 that they are only supposed to be on while training? I noticed Ceelint had said his dogs always have on choke chains. Training devices to my knowledge are only to be used during training and they are not supposed to be used as regular collars. Just curious what other's think?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I also heard that about choke chains should not be used all the time, especially if not around in case they get caught up and strangle themselves.

I used to never collar my pup, I have only one dog, but someone pointed out you never know when a fire might start and if we are in bed and need to get out quick I would not have a collar and it could cause a problem trying to control him outside during an emergency without one on.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you were not supposed to leave choke chains on dog's 24/7 that they are only supposed to be on while training? I noticed Ceelint had said his dogs always have on choke chains. Training devices to my knowledge are only to be used during training and they are not supposed to be used as regular collars. Just curious what other's think?
You are correct, chokers, prongs/pinch, etc should only be worn during training exercises or where correction may be needed such as walks.. Though if you are properly training and using these tools to their full ability you shouldn't always need a choker or other training tools every time you go out.. Meaning you should be able to wean them off of the training tools and use them minimally..as needed..

I didn't catch that when i first posted but yep. lol Personally i wouldn't recommend using any of those collars for longer than 3 hour periods, preferably 2 or less. Should be common sense but if you leave a choker on and gets snagged on something, dog can choke to death.. Same with prongs and any other type of collar you can think of thats used for training.. Point is the risk far out weighs any of the "pros".

If you are going to leave a collar on i recommend a 1.5'' or 2'' flat collar..

Reactions: Sadie

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I know if AC shows up and you don't have your dog in a properly fitted collar they can cite you because according to them those devices left on for extended periods of time run the risk of embedding in the dogs neck if your training the dog at the time that's ok but once your done with training I am pretty sure your supposed to take them off. I am not trying to call you out Ceelint just trying to see what other's think because I am pretty sure they aren't supposed to be left on at all times don't know if you ever take them off but IMO you shouldn't leave them on all the time.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I know if AC shows up and you don't have your dog in a properly fitted collar they can cite you because according to them those devices left on for extended periods of time run the risk of embedding in the dogs neck if your training the dog at the time that's ok but once your done with training I am pretty sure your supposed to take them off. I am not trying to call you out Ceelint just trying to see what other's think because I am pretty sure they aren't supposed to be left on at all times don't know if you ever take them off but IMO you shouldn't leave them on all the time.
Another :goodpost:.. In some places AC can reserve the right to take your dog away from you as well without any prior citations if theres enough evidence that the chokers (for instance) have been on the dog for any long period of time.. Such as matted fur around the collar, loss of fur, bleeding/wounds, etc..

Like i said the risks far out weigh any positives that can come out of doing that.. Personally i view it irresponsible and the risk is very real of putting your dogs life in danger. It may not seem that "bad" but like with everything, it only takes one thing to happen from what appears to be an innocent "mistake" to an injured dog or even dead dog.

Any time i've trained other dogs in the past its the very first thing i go over, proper fitment, proper uses and how long should each time frame last until its time to take it off and give the neck a break.

Also another thing with chokers is constantly using a choker over long periods of time has been proven to cause damage to the throat especially when used improperly... Which is often. Its funny because i favor prongs over chokers if the dog isn't soft with corrections and training because its safer even though the general publics perspective is otherwise.. Most would rather choke their dog vs pinch their dog.. Go figure.. :rofl: Anyway, thats a bit off topic.. Point is even if you never have an immediate problem over time it can create internal damage to the throat areas.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yeah KM I agree totally I know they have laws about those things they may very from state to state you might want to check the laws in your state Ceelint about leaving training devices on 24/7 ... I am sure if Lisa ( Our forum dog trainer) LOL was here she would say the same thing.. Again not trying to pick with ya Ceelint just pointing it out if you didn't know.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I always have a regular collar on my dogs. You just never know when you may need it to grab the dog.

Training collars pose more of a choking hazard than anything.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Flat buckle collars for daily wear. Training collars for training. Some people like to leave chokes on their dogs. After Loki got strangled once from playing with another dog while wearing hers and I had to cut it off while holding the panicking dogs still... not happening anymore. Choke chains for training or the show ring only. I will admit that Terra is wearing a quick-release right now which I know is a sin by some folks' standards, but I kinda like those Lupine tough-lock ones. Not all the time, mind you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No collar when in their crates. we use a flat collar for general around the house wear, but our girls wear their slip collars when we're out in public.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I dont know if anyone posted this yet, but why not put a hook next to the cage and take the collar off when going into the crate and on when coming out. Bella (bullmastiff with a longer coat then APBT) has the fur rubbed off when the collar stays on to long. You can see where the collar layed when it was on. Though, thats a few days on with no breaks /:

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
This is the exact same thing I do as well. My dogs are always wearing their collars unless they are bathed and very rarely do I keep a collar off them. Too risky to keep collars off these dogs, even dogs that are 'best friends' I view them as loaded guns..takes one wrong glance from another dog and BAM! you're in trouble trying to break up two collarless dogs and imo...that's a good way to lose one or both dogs.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
My dogs wear their collars 24/7. Too hard to handle them if something was to happen. Grace is the only one who sometimes gets crated and I take her collar off only because on the chain the collar is threaded through an O-Ring so I have to take it right off to unchain her.
Stage is pretty much a chain dog, we had a problem last year with bacteria building up under his collar from getting wet, and the flies destoyed his skin, it was horrible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts