Go Pitbull Forums banner

Extremely Itchy Ears

12K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  AmandaCRega 
#1 ·
I have three pitbulls that are always itching their ears. One is 4 years and the others are only eight months. I have two other pitbulls that are just fine so I don't know what could be causing it. Are there any home treatments I can try to either stop the itching or relieve the problem? I heard of mixing alcohol, peroxide, and apple cider vinegar but I lost the measurements. If you have the measurements or any other home remedies please let me know.

Thank you!!!

Baby, Jasmine & Buddy Garcia

#4 ·
If its all the time my guess is allergies as well. What are you feeding? Where do you live, change in seasons also triggers them in my boy, I started giving him local honey and bee pollen and he has not needed Benadryl yet (knock on wood). I got his food allergies under control so far so good for my boy. He used to head shake, ear scratch, paw lick, sneeze, water/running eyes. Lots of signs. If its 2 dogs and not the third I would think they would all have ear mites, but have you looked and and checked them out? To rule out yeast infections or bugs, but if you dont see anything I would try a few days of Benadryl and see if it helps. No other signs? No paw licking etc?

#7 ·
I would give it a go and see if its allergy related,if it stops them from itching them more power to ya. If not then you know. I feed grain free, NOT chicken based kibbles, every dog is different but its worth a shot.

its usually 1 pill for 25lb. I gave my boy 3 pills for the first dose and then 2 pills every 6 hours for a few days to see if it worked and let it get in his system.
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/32068-benadryl-dogs.html

here is a thread on ear infections, probably the same type you mentioned above http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/26478-how-treat-ear-infections-home.html

#20 ·
My pit mix had bad allergies and it affected his ears the most. He would scratch them until they bled. We switched to grain free and went through many types of protein. He had allergy pills BUT ended up having seizures due to them.. Finally, after a year, a friend suggested California Naturals Kangaroo and Red Lentils and he is so much better! He still has some bad days but nothing like before. Never believed switching a food could make such a huge difference. Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.