Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would the father of a dog know it was his son/daughter if he was away from his puppies for the first 2 months? would he care for them as a mother would?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Usually sires don't hold maternal insticts like a bitch would but you never know. There isn't a relationship with canines like there is with humans relationships, seen females kill their own offspring before for no reason.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I often wonder that I mean...we don't REALLY know we just guess, but my guess would be

No, they don't really recognize eachother.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't think they would recognize each other after two months. But I knew a male who helped the dam take care of their puppies. He even cleaned them if she was tired and he always let her eat before he did when she had pups. So I guess some males have a small amount of paternal instincts. This is not the norm for a male dog, much less a pit:however it did happen.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My friend had a pug that would jump in the whelping box with it's half-siblings and care for them when the mother was eating or going potty etc. He would clean the pups, and curl around them to keep them warm, very cute. I think some dogs just like puppies.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I wonder the same thing about litter mates .... sadie and simba they are littermates came from the same parents .. And they seem to have an extremely close bond since they were never separated at birth and have grown up together .... I wonder if they remember each other as being from the same litter .... If they feel any special bond with one another because they came from the same litter... Prob not but it def makes you wonder

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I would believe so. Dog can smell relation in people and other dogs. They know what comes from their "pack".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts