Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murphy is my rescue pit I got a few months ago. He is sweet and gentle, but is scared of EVERYTHING. When I first brought im home, he was scared to death of men. When my fiance walked up to him, he would bow his head, tuck his tail, and come hide behind me. Now he is okay with men, but if I have anything in my hand that is not food and I walk in his general direction, he gets so scared, tucking his tail, flattening his ears, lowering his head and scooting away.

How can I build up his confidence? I want him to not be scared of objects. If my Wii remote makes a noise, he gets scared and moves away. I want him to be happy and healthy, and that can't be healthy for him to be so scared of everything like that.

Any suggestions would be really helpful! Thanks!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Do not coddle him. It is the worst thing to tell him that it is okay when he acts that way. You need to be confident and he will so follow through too. Since he is a rescue you do't know what he went through already. So around the house I would try to limit the amount of new things you try to introduce him too. When he scoots away from something just ingore him after you have set down what ever you are holding and you sit down onc ehe comes towards you move the item a little don't pick up just fiddle with it as you pet him don't make a big production of the item. It is a long road you are starting down but the reward justifies all the hard work.

pm me if you want more help I have worked with many abused dogs.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
One of the worst things you can do is coddle him like Sharon said,or force him to meet strangers. Go slow and build confidence, praise him when he us brave and ignore him when he is scared. Now that you have had him for a few months start taking him places so he can be exposed to new environments. Do not force him to meet people, this will just justify him being scared. Instead have ppl ignore him and not pet him so he learns ppl will try to come at him and make him uncomfortable. Later on he may get brave and start going up to ppl who are ignoring him and that is why they can offer a treat but not try and pet him till the dog is comfortable enough to let them. If he gets scared of an object do not let him run away instead hold your ground, do not drag him towards it, just let him look at it and decide it is not going to hurt him then move past the object. This will help build confidence if you do not force things on him. if he learns nothing happens to him when he encounters these "scary objects" then they cease to be scary.

I do have a dog who has a bit a mental issue and is scared of everything, she was raised from 5 weeks old just like all my other dogs then one day she decided the outside world was scary. After a year of trying to help her we just decided her world only needs to consist of our house and neighborhood. She only goes in the car if it is to the vets but at home and for walks she is very happy. When company comes over she stays in her crate or the dog runs in the back, we never force the issue and she is a happy dog. My point is some dogs can be helped to over come the fear and some can over cone the fear of the house but not the outside and that is ok you just have to know what their limit is.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
One of the worst things you can do is coddle him like Sharon said,or force him to meet strangers. Go slow and build confidence, praise him when he us brave and ignore him when he is scared. Now that you have had him for a few months start taking him places so he can be exposed to new environments. Do not force him to meet people, this will just justify him being scared.
Instead have ppl ignore him and not pet him so he learns ppl will try to come at him and make him uncomfortable
. Later on he may get brave and start going up to ppl who are ignoring him and that is why they can offer a treat but not try and pet him till the dog is comfortable enough to let them.
If he gets scared of an object do not let him run away instead hold your ground, do not drag him towards it, just let him look at it and decide it is not going to hurt him then move past the object. This will help build confidence if you do not force things on him. if he learns nothing happens to him when he encounters these "scary objects" then they cease to be scary.
I do have a dog who has a bit a mental issue and is scared of everything, she was raised from 5 weeks old just like all my other dogs then one day she decided the outside world was scary. After a year of trying to help her we just decided her world only needs to consist of our house and neighborhood. She only goes in the car if it is to the vets but at home and for walks she is very happy. When company comes over she stays in her crate or the dog runs in the back, we never force the issue and she is a happy dog. My point is some dogs can be helped to over come the fear and some can over cone the fear of the house but not the outside and that is ok you just have to know what their limit is.
I was throw 2 cents in but, :goodpost: already covered it :D :clap: good stuff

·
Registered
100 Posts
MY RESCUE WAS THE SAME WAY WHEN I GOT HER .SHE WOULDN'T EVEN EAT UNLESS I SAID IT'S OKAY .AND I HAVE HAD HER FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS NOW AND SHE IS AWESOME.PEOPLE SHE MET IN THE BEGINNING CAN'T BELIEVE SHE IS THE SAME DOG .SO DON'T GIVE UP IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts