Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If yall don't mind can you be a judge for me just a moment, is he big enough for a 1yr or not. And anything else you see feel free to say something. Don't you love those eyes, they're bule but you konw about the flash. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Shave a few pounds off and trim his toenails. :) As far as being big enough, its impossible to tell how big he is from those pictures. The standard reads 35-60 lbs for a mature male in good condition, so if he's somewhere in those parameters, its a good start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, his dad is really big and the wierdest looking pit I've seen(gold eyes and huge) never seen it before. But far as fitness we run everyother night. thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If he is that heavy with running you can do damage to joints. How much are you feeding him and is adult or puppy. Also what food are you feeding? Nutrition is an important part of growth.

It's not like he is obese but he could lose weight and he would be healthier.

·
Registered
771 Posts
can we get some side standing shots?

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
MOP YOUR FLOOR!!! LOL JK JK JK

But I agree with all above statements. Take a look at his parents, because if you aren't sure of his bloodlines, then seeing the parents will be the best guess you can get as far as him being on track.

He does look like he needs to be worked a little more, but that does not mean running. Like lisa said that can be hard on the joints. Try using a flirtpole, and don't let him jump. Even though he's 1 year old, don't let him jump because that impact has its effect on joints as well.

Trim his nails, and after you do that, take him on LONG WALKS, not jogging or running, until you can see more definition in his body.

Sorry if any of the above sounded rude, but I was at petsmart getting a couple of things and I saw this Jack Russell in a shopping cart and I could have sworn it was like 10 years old, I asked, and it was a little over a year, and the thing was HUGE!!! Every 1 lb of fat on our dogs is like 10 lbs of fat on us. Put it that way!

3,968 Posts
if he is supposed to be all apbt he is a bit big. he has a cute face though! how much is he fed? and those claws do look killer. onyx has very short dull claws but the can still do good damadge if he decides to jump on someone!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Yep he is a good sized boy. I would add some hand walking and a few games of fetch to his work out. I also think his nails could be trimmed. I perfer to walk my dogs on tarred roads it keeps the nails trim but you need to start out with short nails for this to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, he's a very good dog. Was very easy to train and so much energy. Fetch, running and going on walks was things that he loves to do. most of the time in the back yard i take him of the leash and he'll run around the hole yard then sit by me and wait til i throw his toy tire. I love this dog so much i just wanna take care of him and keep him healthy. he's not a big eatter at all, the vet said when we got him to try small amounts of food three times a day but he would only eat once as he does now he only wants to eat once. i'll give him his food the second time he'll walk away and will not eat it till the next day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone. I will take everything said and try to use it the best way I can. Have aanything esle feel free to say, always up to learn. (And Ill get that side shoot up soon)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
ok he is eating too much and that is why he is not hungry. to start his metabolism you need to get him on a scheduled feeding 2x a day. Measure out his food and If he is around 40-50lbs try feeding him 1 measured cup of food twice a day. Here is how you start him eating, this is an article I wrote for my puppy classes. After he is eating twice a day and loses some weight you can adjust his food to what works for him. measure how much food you feed him a day and I bet it is allot!

Custom K-9 Performance

Feeding

It’s important to make sure your meeting the nutritional requirements of your puppy. Puppies that are 6 to 8 weeks should be eating 3-4 times a day. After 8 weeks you can go to 3 times a day. Once a puppy is about 16 weeks old they can go to 2 times a day and continue through adulthood. Puppies should be kept on puppy food till at least 9-12 months of age. The size and breed of dog matters, ask your veterinarian what they recommend.

What food to buy?

You want a good quality puppy food to provide the best nutrition for your growing puppy. Good quality does not always mean the most expensive. You do get what you pay for so stay away from foods like “Old Roy” or “Gravy Train”. You want to look at the ingredients and make sure to stay away from anything that does not specify the protein source. If it just says bone and meat meal it could be anything from processed euthanized animals (yes some food contain euthanized animals) to bird beaks and feet. Also look for fillers. Corn is used as filler and is not very digestible. Look for something like rice instead.
We recommend Kirkland dog food from Costco. They have a great puppy food and have adult food in Lamb and Rice or Chicken and Rice. Kirkland is used by many breeders across the country and is our little secret for a great dog food at an affordable price.

Does my puppy need supplements?

The answer is yes and no. If you have a good balanced food there is no need to supplement. On the other hand, we do live in New Mexico and is very dry. If you notice a dry coat you can try adding fish oil to the dogs food. This will help keep the coat from drying out and give it a glossy look. A cheap solution for fish oil is the over the counter fish oil capsules at the pharmacy. They work great and most does love the little surprise in the food.

How much do I feed my puppy?

You could go by the recommendations on the back of the dog food but most people will find that is too much. When your puppy is under 8 weeks let them eat till they are full. They need all the extra calories to grow. After 8 weeks for a medium size dog (when full grown) you can give ½ - ¾ cup 3 times a day. Look at your puppy and use your best judgment when adjusting the amount you feed. Increase or decrease by a ¼ cup. If they act whiny or starving all them time increase the amount you feed. If they are leaving food in the bowl, decrease the amount.

What about free feeding?

Free feeding is when you leave a bowl of food out all day and the dogs eat when they want. This works for some dogs but can lead to obesity. If you have multiple dogs this can cause fights and food aggression. Dogs should be feed in separate areas preferably in their crates.

How to get your puppy in a routine for feeding.

You should always measure your puppy’s food. It’s important to know how much they are eating. A pet food-measuring cup will give you an accurate idea of what you are giving your puppy. Don’t mistake puppy fat for obesity. It is very easy to overfeed your puppy and make them obese. Usually this can happen after 4 months of age. Their metabolism starts to change and it may be necessary to adjust the amount you feeding. When puppies are obese it can cause severe health risks including hip dysplasia from the extra weight.
Start by offering food in the morning. Puppies are growing and will be hungry. Put the food on the floor/crate and leave it for 10 minutes. If they do not eat pick up the food and wait till the next scheduled time. Puppies under 16 weeks should get food again mid-day, over 16 weeks in the evenings. Puppies will usually not skip a meal this really applies to adults that are going on a new feeding schedule.

Getting your puppy on a feeding schedule just makes life easier and is a good way to monitor your dog’s weight. You should be able to feel ribs without having to push to hard. Most breeds will also have a tucked in waist. Example of breeds with no waist would be like a bulldog.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
ok he is eating too much and that is why he is not hungry. to start his metabolism you need to get him on a scheduled feeding 2x a day. Measure out his food and If he is around 40-50lbs try feeding him 1 measured cup of food twice a day. Here is how you start him eating, this is an article I wrote for my puppy classes. After he is eating twice a day and loses some weight you can adjust his food to what works for him. measure how much food you feed him a day and I bet it is allot!

Custom K-9 Performance

Feeding

It's important to make sure your meeting the nutritional requirements of your puppy. Puppies that are 6 to 8 weeks should be eating 3-4 times a day. After 8 weeks you can go to 3 times a day. Once a puppy is about 16 weeks old they can go to 2 times a day and continue through adulthood. Puppies should be kept on puppy food till at least 9-12 months of age. The size and breed of dog matters, ask your veterinarian what they recommend.

What food to buy?

You want a good quality puppy food to provide the best nutrition for your growing puppy. Good quality does not always mean the most expensive. You do get what you pay for so stay away from foods like "Old Roy" or "Gravy Train". You want to look at the ingredients and make sure to stay away from anything that does not specify the protein source. If it just says bone and meat meal it could be anything from processed euthanized animals (yes some food contain euthanized animals) to bird beaks and feet. Also look for fillers. Corn is used as filler and is not very digestible. Look for something like rice instead.
We recommend Kirkland dog food from Costco. They have a great puppy food and have adult food in Lamb and Rice or Chicken and Rice. Kirkland is used by many breeders across the country and is our little secret for a great dog food at an affordable price.

Does my puppy need supplements?

The answer is yes and no. If you have a good balanced food there is no need to supplement. On the other hand, we do live in New Mexico and is very dry. If you notice a dry coat you can try adding fish oil to the dogs food. This will help keep the coat from drying out and give it a glossy look. A cheap solution for fish oil is the over the counter fish oil capsules at the pharmacy. They work great and most does love the little surprise in the food.

How much do I feed my puppy?

You could go by the recommendations on the back of the dog food but most people will find that is too much. When your puppy is under 8 weeks let them eat till they are full. They need all the extra calories to grow. After 8 weeks for a medium size dog (when full grown) you can give ½ - ¾ cup 3 times a day. Look at your puppy and use your best judgment when adjusting the amount you feed. Increase or decrease by a ¼ cup. If they act whiny or starving all them time increase the amount you feed. If they are leaving food in the bowl, decrease the amount.

What about free feeding?

Free feeding is when you leave a bowl of food out all day and the dogs eat when they want. This works for some dogs but can lead to obesity. If you have multiple dogs this can cause fights and food aggression. Dogs should be feed in separate areas preferably in their crates.

How to get your puppy in a routine for feeding.

You should always measure your puppy's food. It's important to know how much they are eating. A pet food-measuring cup will give you an accurate idea of what you are giving your puppy. Don't mistake puppy fat for obesity. It is very easy to overfeed your puppy and make them obese. Usually this can happen after 4 months of age. Their metabolism starts to change and it may be necessary to adjust the amount you feeding. When puppies are obese it can cause severe health risks including hip dysplasia from the extra weight.
Start by offering food in the morning. Puppies are growing and will be hungry. Put the food on the floor/crate and leave it for 10 minutes. If they do not eat pick up the food and wait till the next scheduled time. Puppies under 16 weeks should get food again mid-day, over 16 weeks in the evenings. Puppies will usually not skip a meal this really applies to adults that are going on a new feeding schedule.

Getting your puppy on a feeding schedule just makes life easier and is a good way to monitor your dog's weight. You should be able to feel ribs without having to push to hard. Most breeds will also have a tucked in waist. Example of breeds with no waist would be like a bulldog.
great post!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts