Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We feed ours once a day with treats through out the day, she is quite the character when it comes to eating! My Dh gets up to go to work around 5 and he feeds her then, when I get up around 6 to get my kids up for school she sits and stares at me with intensity! When we first got her I didn't realize Dh was feeding her before he left for work so I think she has it in her head now that we both feed her. I know we feed her enough trust me! How do your dogs let you know when it's feeding time? Do they bring the bowl to you and drop it at your feet how do they get your attention?? It's 9:27 now and she is sitting by the computer staring at me.....(and yes she has had a morning treat)!:woof:

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
We feed our guy twice a day, so his little internal feeding clock is in tune to the morning and evening times. He'll just go stand by the counter waiting for us to fill his bowl and he's usually pretty close time-wise each day....

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
my pup is not food motivated at all. I have to practicly force him to eat sometimes. I leave his bowl down all day. I tried setting times morning and night and taking the bowl up after an hour if its not touched, but now I just leave it down all day and he nibbles throughout.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How old is your dog? Mine just turned 1 year and I wanted to go to feeding once a day. At the mment we are still feeding him twice a day, morning and evening. I tried once to go till the evening but he started crying until we gave him food. So I guess he will continue to eat twice a day for a few more months. So to answer your question, my little fatso cries when he wants food LOL...

·
Registered
30 Posts
My pup is 13 weeks and has been hand fed since the day we got him! We measure out his food for the day in a bowl (i'm currently feeding him 5-8% of his body weight). We feed him throughout the day through training sessions. A friend of mine who happens to be a dog trainer suggested I take a look at Ian Dunbar's training methods at Dog Star Daily His thought process regarding feeding makes perfect sense to me: Dogs instinctually want to work/hunt for food. And so, if your dog eats his entire portion first thing in the day, you've taken away his drive to work for food and you might find him/her "acting bad" or being anxious as us humans see it. Anyways, the author recommends to use this method up until your pup becomes a well-behaved adolescent, after which you can move towards a more traditional feeding schedule. Let me just say that Mac is incredibly food motivated and learned a dozen commands within three weeks of using this method!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mine eat twice a day, 8 am and 5 pm on the dot. They know when feeding time is, if I`m a little late they harass me by pawing at me, staring at me lol.

·
Registered
362 Posts
All three of them are 14 weeks. They`re chow hounds, they`d eat til they got sick, then eat some more if I let them lol.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I found when I was feeding them 3x a day on the Blue Buffalo that I feed them, they were getting fat. They get treats throughout the day because I do training with them daily & they also get raw bones 3x a week. I`ve increased their walks so they`re starting to look really good.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Vendetta gets fed in the morning when I get up and on day we are working she gets fed after her evening work out.

DaVinci gets fed in the morning and then if he is hungrey he opens the tote and helps himself.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I found when I was feeding them 3x a day on the Blue Buffalo that I feed them, they were getting fat. They get treats throughout the day because I do training with them daily & they also get raw bones 3x a week. I`ve increased their walks so they`re starting to look really good.
My dogs would eat till they pop too. at 14 weeks I might still be feeding 3x a day but if you are giving lots of treats then twice a day is good. How much are you feeding them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts