Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female is in her third and final heat. And I have 99 problems...

As soon as I noticed her heat coming on I put my male, which is her brother, on the chain and her in the pen.

Problem is is that she has literally broken out about 6 times. The male has got off the chain just as many.

They grew up with one another - they show each other so much love, but I can not breed them! I seriously cannot have inbred pitbulls running around :(

I would say she started showing signs of the heat about 2 weeks ago.

I do not know if they locked up or not. As of right now I have them permanently separated.

As of right now she is still bleeding.. I would say she has she has been bleeding about a week and a half - but not entirely sure.

Can she still get pregnant while still bleeding? Wouldn't the bleeding stop if she was prego?

If she is prego, then the puppies are definitely inbred. What do you think I should do? What about puppy abortions?

thanks for any help

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
spay and abort is always an option, just so you know a lot of APBT's are inbred, there could be absolutely nothing wrong with these pups but if you are that worried then yes find a vet or a low/cost spay and neuter place and have the pups aborted and her spayed ;) Good luck with what you do

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spay and abort is always an option, just so you know a lot of APBT's are inbred, there could be absolutely nothing wrong with these pups but if you are that worried then yes find a vet or a low/cost spay and neuter place and have the pups aborted and her spayed ;) Good luck with what you do
thank you.

but wouldn't these puppies have health defects or be mentally retarded? I'm against aborting, but right now I see no other option if she truly is prego...

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
not necessarily, as I said a lot of dogmen breed moms to sons and things like that with great results, I am against aborting as well but if it saves the life of your bitch and keeps your mind at ease then I say go for it, but no they won't necessarily have problems, but as well if they are not paperd or anything then yes do the spay and abort, if you have them for workin show purposes that is a bit different, if they are just pets then yes get her spayed ;)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
thank you.

but wouldn't these puppies have health defects or be mentally retarded? I'm against aborting, but right now I see no other option if she truly is prego...
I'd spay and abort.
The puppies would not necessarily be defected. As Tye said there are a lot of dogs that are inbred and many old dog men that inbred their dogs, but I would definitely lean toward spay and abort. Good luck.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Spay and abort. But my question to you is why haven't you spayed or neutered before any of this could have happened. I would of at least fixed one. You had to have known what you were up against owning an intact male and female and the risk of them mating.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You can spay her if you never intend to breed her but dogs usually are not ready to breed till the 10-13th day. If it is around that time they could have locked up. There is nothing wrong with inbreeding if you do it correctly. If their pedigree is not real tight the pup should be just fine. You have to do a lot of inbreeding to start making defect show up or have really tight peds. If you female has gotten out that many times then you need a new chain set up. If you do a search you will find a bunch of threads that show how to properly contain an APBT. good luck with it all hope she did not get pregnant.

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
I know you said your not ok with aborting, but here's the thing, Would you rather spay your bitch now before there really are puppies, or if there is puppies, try to find responsible homes for a litter of 6 to 12 puppies, and watch a lot of them get killed due to human irresponsibly? Those that don't get killed, how would you feel if these puppies were again bred to produce more puppies? How about if they get into the wrong hands and end up in the hands of a horrible human who breeds them every heat cycle or to every bitch that walks by?

Your better off humanely euthanizing before the puppies even have a chance of getting limbs then letting them live a life of hell in us humans hands.

Get your bitch spayed asap. Your vet couldn't even tell you if she's pregnant right now or not. It's better to have it done now then to have a litter of puppies. That is for sure.

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
You said you're against aborting, but it really is the best solution. This is an oops between two, what I'm assuming, untitled dogs, with nothing that makes them anything more than "pet" qaulity dogs. THe litter could produce amazing dogs, but why produce from unproven stock when there are so many dogs in shelters, etc etc. Umm as far as the inbreeding goes read this thread, it's full of good info:
http://www.gopitbull.com/bloodline-discussion/30169-question-inbreeding.html

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
thank you.

do you know anything about their background? if there isnt any line breeding already in their pedigree then the pups should be just fine. alot of good dogs come from line breeding

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Line breeding and inbreeding should be left up to the "professional" dog breeders of the world not a beginner who has a brother and sister from the same litter. We have enough BYB pits in shelters getting put to sleep everday. We don't need more irresponsibility bred pits to add to it :(

Reactions: apbtmom76

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i do not want to spay her since I am going to breed her.

The seller was a real stand up guy. He was selling the puppies for 500 but cut me a deal since he seen me get all childish when I seen them. He decided to get him to me for 200 since I was in college at the time.

On the female, he just called me out of the blue after he had the next litter and said he had one pup that was getting really old and couldn't get rid of so he offered her to me for free. I accepted :)

Its always been my dream to breed pit bulls. I expect to get trolled on since thats what usually happens when someone says they are going to breed their dogs.. But I was/am going to do it right..

I don't have their pedigrees but he told me they had awesome peds... I am bit in a financial burden right now since I just graduated college, got married, and bought a new house and have yet to find a new job.. thats why I haven't got em yet. But I contacted the seller about the peds and I'm sure he'll get back to me..

I do know, however, that my dog's parents were from separate parents/sellers...

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
If you are in a financial burden you might want to know. If something goes wrong with the birth your dog will need an emergency c section. That's usually at least $1,000. Plus puppy expenses. Shots and wormings. As well as bottle feeding supplies if for some reason she does not feed them or take care of them because she is so young or she dies during a c section or complications during whelping. They will need to be fed about every 2 hrs round the clock. When you finish feeding and pottying all of them it will probably be time to start over again.

It sounds like you got your dogs from a byb. It is not wise to start a breeding program with that kind of stock. I'm sure your dogs will be good pets, but that doesn't mean they need to reproduce. This world is filled with great pets sitting in shelters. Which is where your puppies or your puppies offspring could end up as well. I would spay your female, neuter the male. Keep them as pets and learn as much as you can about proper breeding.

Then go buy some quality stock after you research pedigrees and know what you are doing. If you don't even know the lines of these two then how would you choose a potential mate in the first place? Just breed to whatever dog looks good? You might also want to make sure the parents of future breeding stock are health tested and titled.

If you want to linebreed you want to see as many generations as possible. I don't recommend anyone breed without understanding genetics and doing lots and lots of research first.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
So you want to be a breeder. Are these dogs you have right now registered with papers? If not SPAY AND ABORT bc you don't need to breed them. If you don't even know their pedigrees or any history behind them other than the breeder told you they had "awesome pedigrees" please RUN do NOT walk to your veterinarian and do yourself, your dogs, and those puppies a favor by doing the right thing.
The seller was a real stand up guy. He was selling the puppies for 500 but cut me a deal since he seen me get all childish when I seen them. He decided to get him to me for 200 since I was in college at the time.

On the female, he just called me out of the blue after he had the next litter and said he had one pup that was getting really old and couldn't get rid of so he offered her to me for free. I accepted :)

Its always been my dream to breed pit bulls. I expect to get trolled on since thats what usually happens when someone says they are going to breed their dogs.. But I was/am going to do it right..

I don't have their pedigrees but he told me they had awesome peds... I am bit in a financial burden right now since I just graduated college, got married, and bought a new house and have yet to find a new job.. thats why I haven't got em yet. But I contacted the seller about the peds and I'm sure he'll get back to me..
There are just so many reasons why you should not breed in those paragraphs alone.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
You should FIX YOUR MALE then. If you want to keep your female intact to breed then the smart thing to do is fix her brother so he doesn't have to suffer living with a bitch in heat all the time. I don't approve of you breeding your bitch unless she is proven and health tested but your going to do what your going to do. If you are here to learn then listen to the professionals on here who have owned this breed for years and who have experience with proper and correct breeding. Don't just become another BYB. Knowledge is power :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why post useless stuff people? I asked about inbreeding, how many generations, etc. Thanks to all that helped me but I just have to vent, this forum aggravates me to no extent:

"sounds like you got your dogs from a byb" well the way you type makes you look like a byb. See how dumb that sounds??

All I read is ppl dissing BYB.. Well, you know you ppl could be called ya'll BYB's. Just because a dog comes from a "BYB" does not make it bad to breed with.. Just as a dog that does not come from a "BYB" is not always good to breed with..

And as for my dogs - they could honestly be show dogs. They are absolutely perfect in the sense of the american pit bull terrier.. eyes, ears, coat, paws, etc everything. So why not breed this wonderful dog? Why not give my friends, family, neighbors, or anybody the chance to have this wonderful breed of dog as a pet?? They sure and hell are not going to go search for the breeders ya'll claim yourselves to be only to pay an arm and a leg.. Ya'll should seriously rethink ya'lls strategy..

As for genetics, I was a biology major so I probably know more about that than most of ya'll on here.. And genetics is such a WIDE and LARGE thing that it is impossible even by looking at pedigrees (which isn't as useful as you make it sound in my opinion since that only tells who bred with who and not phenotype/genotype or anything quite useful - anything can happen with genetics) to supposedly select "good" parings.. THIS IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE PPL.

And for the person who said "Just breed to whatever dog looks good?" - In a sense, that is exactly what you want to do! lol

And as for not having money, the pit bull has been referred to in the past as the poor man's dog since they are in general low maintenance dogs.. And if the "BYB" did not exist, this poor breed would probably have ceased to exist or at least not be as popular as it has become..

ok, I'm done. :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Why post useless stuff people?* I asked about inbreeding, how many generations, etc.* Thanks to all that helped me but I just have to vent, this forum aggravates me to no extent: "sounds like you got your dogs from a byb" well the way you type makes you look like a byb.* See how dumb that sounds??* All I read is ppl dissing BYB..* Well, you know you ppl could be called ya'll BYB's.* Just because a dog comes from a "BYB" does not make it bad to breed with..* Just as a dog that does not come from a "BYB" is not always good to breed with..And as for my dogs - they could honestly be show dogs.* They are absolutely perfect in the sense of the american pit bull terrier..* eyes, ears, coat, paws, etc everything.* So why not breed this wonderful dog?* Why not give my friends, family, neighbors, or anybody the chance to have this wonderful breed of dog as a pet??* They sure and hell are not going to go search for the breeders ya'll claim yourselves to be only to pay an arm and a leg..* Ya'll should seriously rethink ya'lls strategy..As for genetics, I was a biology major so I probably know more about that than most of ya'll on here..* And genetics is such a WIDE and LARGE thing that it is impossible even by looking at pedigrees (which isn't as useful as you make it sound in my opinion since that only tells who bred with who and not phenotype/genotype or anything quite useful - anything can happen with genetics) to supposedly select "good" parings..* THIS IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE PPL.* And for the person who said "Just breed to whatever dog looks good?" - In a sense, that is exactly what you want to do! lolAnd as for not having money, the pit bull has been referred to in the past as the poor man's dog since they are in general low maintenance dogs..* And if the "BYB" did not exist, this poor breed would probably have ceased to exist or at least not be as popular as it has become..* ok, I'm done. :)
Look like Ya''ll made up your mind to breed a brother and sister together then right? Genetics? That's good genetics huh? Your dogs need to have registered PAPERS, and be proven like in Obedience, agility, weight pull, conformation. AND they need to go to the vet to be health certified for breeding. Yeah, I could say my bitch is PERFECT to breed to. But I know better than to breed and add to the OVER-population of Pits in the world. Plus, I ain't looking for $$$$ from pups which is what BYB's do. If you want to be a backyard breeder go for it! FYI, you are supposed to breed to better the breed and not because your dog has nice feet, eyes, and coat. It would have sounded alot better if you said temperament as well as conformation. Did you come here to learn or to bad mouth this forum? People are trying to educate you and because you are not hearing what you want to hear it is making you mad. Anyways, best of luck in your future of breeding. Make sure you have a few thousand $$$ put aside if your female needs and emergency C-section.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts