Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pit-mixes are wonderful animals. They are rescue pets and currently one found out he could jump the privacy fence, so he had to be chained. Any suggestions on ways to prevent him from jumping. I thought about putting a taller iron fence with an inward curving hangover at the top in front of the privacy fence to stop him from getting out; so if he jumped the overhead iron bars would stop him.

· Premium Member
2,377 Posts
You've already done the best thing to contain him IMO. Just make sure his chain isn't anywhere near the fence as he could hang himself. I don't know about the iron bar thing. I'd probably worry that he'd get himself caught in the bars.

· Registered
190 Posts
I agree with aus_staffy a propper chain set up or covered (not just a shade screen) Kennel will solve the problem far better and cheaper than adding a new fence that he will probable learn to jump anyway

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
they have roll bars you can put on top of the fence if your unable to cover the area with other fencing. So when the pup tried he rolls right off the top, can't get a grip.

· Premium Member
379 Posts
Once you have a known fence jumper you have to keep him chained. I went through it for years and they'll jump any obstacle you place at the top of the privacy fence. They become driven to get out and always find your weak spot.

· Banned
314 Posts
My pit-mixes are wonderful animals. They are rescue pets and currently one found out he could jump the privacy fence, so he had to be chained. Any suggestions on ways to prevent him from jumping. I thought about putting a taller iron fence with an inward curving hangover at the top in front of the privacy fence to stop him from getting out; so if he jumped the overhead iron bars would stop him.
I think you're out of lick here. Once they learn they can jump over the mountain, ain't much gonna stop 'em. I know one guy who's dog can clear a 6 foot fence without running. So if he's not around, his dog is always on the chain. Can't really discipline a dog for having the ability to do what alot of others can't do...:)

· Registered
4,196 Posts
You can extend the top of your fence (with lattice work or improvising something else) or do the roll bars. But it would be a good idea to not leave him out there unsupervised either way. Build a secure kennel with a top or keep him on the chain when you're not home.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Once you have a known fence jumper you have to keep him chained. I went through it for years and they'll jump any obstacle you place at the top of the privacy fence. They become driven to get out and always find your weak spot.
That is not true, I have had many fence jumpers and there are many ways to keep them contained.

How tall if your fence now? There are a few things you can do to keep him without a chain set up.

Making the fence taller

If your dog is pulling himself over the fence then the rollers work well but are really expensive

You can get an underground fence with an e collar and it will keep him a few feet from the fence so he cannot get close enough to jump it.
They also sell a radio fence where the unit lugs by your back door and you can set how far from the house your dog can go before it gets them. The underground is probably the best if you back yard is narrow.

You can build a topped dog run and line the bottom edged with paver's so they cannot dig out or jump over

You can also crate the dog if they are only getting out when you are gone.

As a trainer I have clients all the time where their big complain is they have an escape artist and it is just a matter of figuring out what works best for you. Do know that chaining is not your only option if you are not in favor of chaining them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.